News letter?
Sep 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 18
I too would like to know. The newsletter I received is rather shady, in the sense the one-click unsubscribe goes to some incomprehensible URL with no actual website for the domain. I didn't click, but it raises a lot of suspicions.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 18
*sigh* why do you think that possession of an email address automatically gives you the right to put it on a mailing list.

DON'T DO THAT!

Now I know that I'm never ever going to get off jangomail's address register and that they're going to sell my email address to other companies, but is there any way I can get head-fi to NOT DO THAT AGAIN!

Don't you find it odd that jangomail's web site doesn't have any email addresses on it at all. Their whois record is also unhelpful.

I found a "no emails" check box in my head-fi settings. Is that new because I'm sure it wasn't there the last time I looked. I have unchecked it. Please don't change my settings again.

Steven Wayne.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I never got an email, so the settings must work... Stress less princess!

Somehow my newsletter setting got set to "yes" and I didn't do it, so it's either a new option that defaults to yes, or they changed peoples setting. I'm not paranoid enough to suspect it was just me that got an unwanted newsletter. Not yet anyhow.

If they want to start sending a newsletter then a PM to everyone saying, "hey we've got a newsletter starting do you want it, click here" sort of thing would be fine.

I feel let down by head-fi. I thought they would behave better than this.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 18
Swayne: Did you have "Receive Head-Fi.org Email Newsletters" checked or un-checked? Did you see that jangomail has a privacy policy?

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Swayne: Did you have "Receive Head-Fi.org Email Newsletters" checked or un-checked? Did you see that jangomail has a privacy policy?

The "receive newsletter" option was checked, but I didn't set it so I'm guessing it's either a new option that defaulted to "yes" or it was changed prior to sending this newsletter out as I've never received a newsletter before.

I'm sure I put all this in my previous post.

I don't trust marketeers privacy policies, do you? And I don't trust any internet company that doesn't publish an email address. Perhaps they worry about getting onto unwanted mailing lists too.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 18
Guess that is why we have a related profile setting ... which obviously work, as I got no News letter.
settinghg.png

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 18
I too was not happy to get another newsletter from a website out-of-the-blue.  I don't ever remember opting in to receive a newsletter from head-fi, was it part of the original registration process?  Or was it a new setting as part of the switch to the new head-fi software?  In either case, it leads me to believe the newsletter was just sent out to everyone who hadn't specifically gone into their profile and unchecked it.... regardless of whether they ever opted in.

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 18
Ok then, that makes it straight forward. Just un-check that box and we know for certain that you won't get any more newsletters.

However, if you don't trust companies on the Internet, you need to delete all your online profiles and email addresses and stop using computers and the Internet entirely.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Ok then, that makes it straight forward. Just un-check that box and we know for certain that you won't get any more newsletters.

However, if you don't trust companies on the Internet, you need to delete all your online profiles and email addresses and stop using computers and the Internet entirely.

But my point is, I didn't check the box in the first place. I've never even seen it.

I am very careful of where I put my real email address, I trusted you, and I was let down.

So tell us then, is the "receive newsletter" setting option new? Were we subscribed without our consent?

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 18
We would need to know if the "Receive messages from the Administrators" option setting in the old forum was carried over or not during the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back