News Flash: Rega chooses new metal finishSatin Metal Finish.
Dec 21, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 21
As long as they are there, I don't care about the finish...I will have Rega CD units.

I would buy one sight unseen and unheard.

Others, I would audition.

Love my Rega Planet.

Dec 21, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #17 of 21
Yes....but what do you love about it so? What finish do you have?

Dec 22, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Yes....but what do you love about it so? What finish do you have?

I have the original BLACK finish Planet.

I love the build and it's design.

(I don't like the Sony electronics that handle the laser, they can't handle bad disks like my cheaper Onkyo).

And I love the sound. I can't imagine how they engineered the electronics the way they did. It can sound glorious, but at the same time be forgiving of harsh, poorly recorded CD's.

I have a Cambridge Audio 500SE too, a new one, for my bedroom.
That was not cheap either. but a few hundred less than a Rega.
But the sound comparison is considerable. The Rega by far is worth the extra cash. The CA 500SE was a bit disappointing.
It's built solid enough, but the sound is very good, but not in any way near the class of the Rega.

Face it. If you want good sound, you will have to shell out $700 at least for a good home CDP.

The only reason I kept the 500SE and did not return it and get a used Rega is that I need a front loader.
eek.gif
It works ok.

But the Rega in my big system...........LOVE IT!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 21
Ok fred...you sold me. Where is the cheapest place to buy one.

EDIT: I would like to buy one online, preferably.

Dec 23, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 21
Oh...and is the black nice and glossy...or is it boring "mass-market sony, panasonic" black?

Dec 23, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Ok fred...you sold me. Where is the cheapest place to buy one.

EDIT: I would like to buy one online, preferably.

I have the old Rega Planet. I don't know what the black finish is like on the new ones.

I don't know where you could find one online, except perhaps eBay. I had to drive an hour or two to buy one locally from the late Steve Zipster in Sunshine Stereo in Miami.

Don't buy one on my say so alone
wink.gif
. Listen around. There are a lot of good units out there.

I can't afford really pricy ones. I overextend myself on equipment that sounds much better than price would suggest. Rega Planet CDP, Rotel phono stage, MMF5 turntable, Acurus amps, Vandersteen speakers, Straightwire cabling.

And a good CDP like the Rega won't sound as nice as it should without other good electronics and cabling.

I suggest to anyone who has never heard a really high end system to bring your favorite CD's or make a test CD on you system/computer and take it to a high end store. Listen to the good stuff to see what it is all about. Don't guess, or go completely word of mouth. Go see if you can really hear the difference.

A good dealer will see it in your eyes............ if he is smart, he knows he will have a good repeat customer.

And you don't have to sport big price tags and names to enjoy music. If a portable CDP, Airhead, and Senn580's rock your world, enjoy what you have.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back