NEWS: Beats in a lawsuit with Yamaha
Feb 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #151 of 493
Quote:
Patenting a shape for a headphone is pretty bogus but with the US patent office, I'm sure they let someone patent water already.

They're called "design patents," and are different from "utility patents" which are for your regular "inventions" and what we normally think of when we think of patents.

se

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #152 of 493
Quote:
Lol, did a Heir Audio sponsor just diss apple?? lol watch out they're going to sue you for making small objects that put sound in your ears.

"That has probably already been done" is a blanket statement not aimed at Apple. It is mainly a statement regarding the absurdity of the "system" today.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 17, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #153 of 493
I don't really care which side wins as they are both in the wrong. Yamaha for not bothering to create something distinct on their own and Beats for their hyperbolic marketing and aggression. I got to admit though, that Yamaha "Doctor... who?" advert makes me laugh hard 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #154 of 493
I don't really care which side wins as they are both in the wrong. Yamaha for not bothering to create something distinct on their own and Beats for their hyperbolic marketing and aggression. I got to admit though, that Yamaha "Doctor... who?" advert makes me laugh hard 
darthsmile.gif

I agree, very dissappointed that Yamaha went down this route with the styling, the beats actually look substantially better. I hope yamaha get caught out simply so that other companies stop making ugly shiny plastic headphones.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #156 of 493
Quote:

They're called "design patents," and are different from "utility patents" which are for your regular "inventions" and what we normally think of when we think of patents.

se

Design patents are only valid for specific ornamentation.  In this case the shape - round earpieces, band at right angles - is  the most obvious possible, so it shouldn't be patentable - because the obvious/simplest/most functional solution doesn't count as ornamentation. Eg you can patent the classic hourglass coke bottle, but not a bottle with straight sides.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #157 of 493
guys, i do really think that you're missing one important issue here.
especially considering the "Dr... WHO" Yamaho commercial it is evident to me that the main point of design-copying was to loudly shout about the fact that Yamaha is entering a new market (which is currently occupied by Beats)
any news about Beats spreads around verrry fast and wide. so this law-suit can actually be considered as a very wide commercial campaign.
and i do think that Yamaha can pay any price for such a commercial.

consider this:
you've got two identical looking headphones in the market, the only diference is SQ.
which one would someone choose?

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #158 of 493
Quote:
guys, i do really think that you're missing one important issue here.
especially considering the "Dr... WHO" Yamaho commercial it is evident to me that the main point of design-copying was to loudly shout about the fact that Yamaha is entering a new market (which is currently occupied by Beats)
any news about Beats spreads around verrry fast and wide. so this law-suit can actually be considered as a very wide commercial campaign.
and i do think that Yamaha can pay any price for such a commercial.

consider this:
you've got two identical looking headphones in the market, the only diference is SQ.
which one would someone choose?

While the question might be rhetorical on Head-fi, it isn't to the general population.  For the same reason many want to see "Nike" on their sneakers, they want the "b" on their headphones.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #159 of 493
Quote:

If they don't do their research and homework, they don't deserve good headphones anyway.

I agree and actually see this suit as a win-win.  If Beats loses, I won't shed a tear and Yamaha gained free publicity for their superior-sounding headphones.  If Yamaha loses, they may be forced to change [improve] their design.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #161 of 493
A win for beats is nothing but a win for absurdity. These lawsuits just reinforce a bad direction in a system that is becoming more and more ridiculous. The more choices people have in a given style, the better. Beats wins, and in the end, we all lose, because markets should be as open and free as possible. Nobody should own the rights to the general look of any product. Monster designed a headphone and went after a specific demographic, with the biggest amount of mass exposure. Anyone else should be able to design a product for that market, as long as it is their design. Is the Yamaha headphone similar in appearance? Yes, but is it clearly a different design, with merely a general resemblance.  Some people don't like the general look, and I get that, but Yamaha isn't going after the audiophile crowd with this, they are going after the mass market, where this general look is well received, and they should have the right to go into this market with their own design, even if it has a general resemblance to other products in that market. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #162 of 493
Quote:
Next thing Dr Dre will release a diss song directed towards Yamaha cos of the Dr Who? line...

Will he be able to pronounce "Yamaha"?

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #163 of 493
Is it wrong that I was more interested by Yamaha's ad for "Dr... who?", thinking they were actually Doctor Who related?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back