NewOntech Dac 07
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #46 of 63
Thank you for comprehensive review of the new ontech dac 7. I noticed you have heard a weiss dac. I have a Weiss 204 come from dealer for a home audition in my system. I was also interested in the Dac 7. I wanted to know based off your experience how the Weiss stacks up against the new ontech? Thanks for your time
I don't think 204 would be competitive with dac 7 (note I have never heard 204). I think dac7 competes well with dac 1, but I have never heard them side by side so I can't comment on any specific traits but they both sound great to me but in slightly different ways.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #47 of 63
I don't think 204 would be competitive with dac 7 (note I have never heard 204). I think dac7 competes well with dac 1, but I have never heard them side by side so I can't comment on any specific traits but they both sound great to me but in slightly different ways.
Thanks you for response, I have magnepan speakers and was looking for dynamic musical Dac. Some other Dac’s I want to compare with Weiss and new ontech would be lab 12 dac1(not sure if that’s the Dac you referred to in previous message). Aqua la scala ?

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #48 of 63
Thanks you for response, I have magnepan speakers and was looking for dynamic musical Dac. Some other Dac’s I want to compare with Weiss and new ontech would be lab 12 dac1(not sure if that’s the Dac you referred to in previous message). Aqua la scala ?
I think you would be happy with dac07 as a dynamic and musical dac. I would make sure to feed it good signal - the cheap Shanlin CD transport/streamer works fine (not the best but not bad). I would avoid using USB if you can help it. Heard good things about Aqua La Scala, but never heard one IRL.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #49 of 63
I think you would be happy with dac07 as a dynamic and musical dac. I would make sure to feed it good signal - the cheap Shanlin CD transport/streamer works fine (not the best but not bad). I would avoid using USB if you can help it. Heard good things about Aqua La Scala, but never heard one IRL.
Hi Chesebert, I’m new to the forum. Any experience with Audial, Merason, Audiomirror or Lector multibit DACs? If so how do they compare to your Newontech?

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #50 of 63
Who all are dealers for this DAC in US?

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #52 of 63
Hi Chesebert, I’m new to the forum. Any experience with Audial, Merason, Audiomirror or Lector multibit DACs? If so how do they compare to your Newontech?
Don't have experience with any of the ones you mentioned. There is not a single "sound" to R2R dacs. It's better than Sonic Frontier R2R.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #54 of 63
Thanks for the reply. Have you considered the SE version or DAC 8? What is the price difference and what are the changes?
the dac 7 I have looks like dac 8. Judge for yourself

dac 8
1706245364024.png
A

my dac 7

1706245430859.jpeg

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #56 of 63
Difference in capacitors?
slightly premium parts. Circuit is what makes or breaks a design. Premium parts are in the tweak territory IMO.

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #58 of 63
These NewOntech Dac 07 can be found for a good deal in Europe. Now do I need one....This looks perfect in size, but I'm still banging with my qutest on "semi-portable" setup

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 63
These NewOntech Dac 07 can be found for a good deal in Europe. Now do I need one....This looks perfect in size, but I'm still banging with my qutest on "semi-portable" setup
I am 99.99% certain dac 07 will destroy qutest in all aspects of music reproduction.

One reason to buy new is the money-back guarantee from the US dealer - fortunately I never had to use that. My dac 07 is fed from Linn Akurate DS/3

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #60 of 63
Had a head to head with Jeff Rowland Aeris ($13k MSRP). Dac 07 sounded better to me and Aeris has been sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back