NewOntech Dac 07
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 63
Equipment Used: Emm Labs NS1 (streamer), Emm Labs DAC2xV2 (dac only), Linn Klimax DS/1 (streamer/dac), Linn Akurate DS/3 (streamer), Headamp GSX mk2, CFA3
Headphones used: NDH30, Utopia 2022, HD800S
Cable: Audio Envy AES, DNM RCA, Hart Audio, Virtual Dynamics, Mogami Gold AES
Music Genres: jazz (small ensemble and big band), symphony, Jpop, Cpop, electronic, solo instruments.

Test Config: Emm Labs NS1 -> Mogami AES -> DAC 7
Burn-in time: 2-5 days. The dac initially sounded dynamic and fairly natural but you can hear a bit of digital edge. After 2 days of continuous playing that was mostly remedied and the bass was both deeper and more tuneful. In other words, when I first got the dac, it sounded like a very good DS dac, but after 2-3 days, it sounded like an excellent dac.

Prior experience with DS dacs: I heard everything from the cheap Topping to Bricasti M1 to the equally good Weiss to my own Linn Klimax DS the and overpriced Solution dac. Other dacs I have heard includes everything from the form favorites like May, TT2 and Dave to dCS Rossini, Bartok, MSB Select, BAD reference, PBD MPD5, and many others.

When you talk about sound quality, the Dac 7 stands out as neutral and natural. Right off the bat, it might not wow you like the dCS or MSB, which often amp up certain sound features. Unlike other dacs, the Dac 7 doesn't try to fake warmth or make things sound more "analog." Take a few Sara K tracks, for instance. Her voice on the Dac 7 is clear, natural and upfront, making the music feel effortless with great flow. But when I tried the same tracks on the Linn Klimax DS, they seemed a touch less authentic and a bit less natural. Now, neither dac feels digital, but the Dac 7 just brings out the natural tones in voices and instruments a bit more. Putting it against Emm Labs is tougher. While the Dac 7 holds its own, Emm Labs edges it out in sound density, micro dynamics, naturalness and depth. It's like you're hearing every part of Sara K, from her voice's weight to its nuance. And this isn't just about vocals; it's the same with instruments, be it a double bass or a piano. All in all, I'd bet the Dac 7 is one of the top dacs under $10k for delivering such genuine sound.

Another thing that surprised me about the Dac 7 was its soundstage. Normally, I find DS dacs a bit blurry when it comes to pinpointing instruments or rendering an accurate and massive soundstage, making it harder to sense the space between them. But with the Dac 7, whether it's a solo or a symphony, you can tell exactly where everything is, even down to the distance between mic and solo instrument. I thought the Klimax DS was a standout in this area, but the Dac 7 took it up a notch, letting me dive deeper into the music and sense more of the "void" around instruments and between instruments. What's cool is this clarity doesn't mess with the music's natural vibe, ease and flow. The Dac 7 and Emm Labs are pretty neck-and-neck, but Emm Labs has a slight edge in capturing those finer details, especially for background instruments.

In other sound aspects, like bass, PRaT and dynamics, the Dac 7 is on par with the Linn Klimax DS. So it's top-notch.

Lastly, let's talk price. At $2300, the performance you get from the Dac 7 seems unreal, especially when you consider that the NS1/Dac7 combo goes for $6800, and others like the Linn Klimax DS/1 ($15k) and Akurate DS/3/Emm Labs combo ($25k) are priced way higher. So, is the Dac 7 punching way above its weight? Absolutely.

Edit: I paid $2300 for the dac and the dealer said I could send it back for a full refund for any reason. I am not sending this one back :k701smile:
Thank you so much for sharing in great detail. Some of the dacs you compared the dac7 to is way above my price range. But thats a good thing that it can hold its own despite being cheaper. And can i assume your impressions have been done using the utopia, hifiman 1000, he6, audeze lcd3 not speakers? I am not into 2 channel speaker audio thats why i ask.

Thank you

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 63
Thank you so much for sharing in great detail. Some of the dacs you compared the dac7 to is way above my price range. But thats a good thing that it can hold its own despite being cheaper. And can i assume your impressions have been done using the utopia, hifiman 1000, he6, audeze lcd3 not speakers? I am not into 2 channel speaker audio thats why i ask.

Thank you
Mostly headphones (I listed the cans I used in my post) - this is Headfi after all :sweat_smile:

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #18 of 63
Mostly headphones (I listed the cans I used in my post) - this is Headfi after all :sweat_smile:
Thanks again for the clarification. Btw something caught my eye looking at the newontech dac 7 specs. It is says line ouput signal 1V RMS, I always thought rca and xlr ouput is 2V and 4V respectively. Or does line output signal mean something different? Thank you

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 63
Thanks again for the clarification. Btw something caught my eye looking at the newontech dac 7 specs. It is says line ouput signal 1V RMS, I always thought rca and xlr ouput is 2V and 4V respectively. Or does line output signal mean something different? Thank you
It’s higher than 2V from RCA. I am using other dacs that output 4V from the XLR and switching among them I only needed to attenuate by about 2.5db. If dac7 were outputting 2V I would have needed 2-3 clicks on the stepped attenuator, but I only needed 1 click. I suspect dac 7 is outputting 3V on the RCA.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 63
It’s higher than 2V from RCA. I am using other dacs that output 4V from the XLR and switching among them I only needed to attenuate by about 2.5db. If dac7 were outputting 2V I would have needed 2-3 clicks on the stepped attenuator, but I only needed 1 click. I suspect dac 7 is outputting 3V on the RCA.
i see, so it would be safe to assume that XLR output is also most likely slightly greater than the 4V standard

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #21 of 63
i see, so it would be safe to assume that XLR output is also most likely slightly greater than the 4V standard
Should be 6V (assuming I was right about RCA voltage)

Oct 9, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #23 of 63
Cool that this appear here, I have the newontech (previously Danish audio design) dac11 and dac10 connected to the psu 10(external psu with two outputs)the dac11 is connected to a cap10(capacitor battery) to give the dac 11 superclean power. My head setup for this at home is the stax 006t and sr404 sign.
my amp is Audio Note Kondo.

When the psu had 2x outputs, got the idea to have two dacs, a dedicated for redbook (the one that not goies through cap10) and the other for tidal and hires audio, so I can use only the channel shifter on the Kondo :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 63
Thanks again, i may have to buy one, either 07 or 07se. depending on my budget. The SE seems to more esoteric components, but not sure whether it will sound much different from the standard 07
I can confirm my dac outputs 3V rms from the RCA output.

Would be great if the dealer or manufacturer could confirm the spec as I understand some older units indeed have 1Vrms output from the RCA. I think the 3Vrms output is an improvement over the 1Vrms output for modern preamps and headphone amps - especially if you are getting a Zahl HM1

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 63
Found this picture of the DAC8, which I think is closer to my unit than the dac7 images that are out there. The only difference I see is the shielded USB receiver. The Nichicon gold caps in my dac is better than what's in the dac8.

1697746340108.png

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #28 of 63
Whats the capacitance and voltage of each nichicon fine gold caps in the dac 7.?
That's a question for the importer/dealer/manufacturer. I already have my dac well situated in a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back