NewOntech Dac 07
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
Might as well get this one started.

Found the below description in an expired Audiogon ad (so I didn't write this just to be clear). It uses a "pedestrian" BB delta-sigma dac chip and opamps for the output buffer. A dac cannot get any "worse" than this from a spec/marketing perspective. However, there are folks out there claiming this sounds better than R2R dacs costing several times more. Real deal or BS?

-----
Danish Audio Design has changed the name to "NewOntech"
Ole"Dac Guru" Nielsen runs NewOntech and is the inventor of the prestigious DAC 06, 11, 20, DAC 30D/30T, PRE 05 and AMP 05 at Danish Audio Design.

First, this is a world-class preforming Dac that even beats the older Tube 10 Reference and Dac 20 ($15000) (Tube 10 beat the Kondo KSL for example) To a much smaller price tag and now also with USB!!!
The new DAC 07 is a complete new design. Again most of the efforts has been put into the power supply. The use of capacitors and chokes has lowered the noise even more. Also the DAC chip has been upgraded to a 32 bit converter. The input range has been extended to 3 optical 3 RCA 1 XLR and 1USB. (Different customer options are available) The output now has both single ended RCA and Balanced XLR. Both outputs can be used at the same time.

The standard for the vital components are state-of-the-art solutions, and we strive to use only the best available Our components are selective chosen after many hours of listening. The listening staff are also consisting of a lot of private HIFI enthusiasts, and the feedback from them has been invaluable when making critical decisions.
over 20 years experience in developing and producing High End Audio equipment
All of our DAC’s has gone through extensive listening tests

A lot of different techniques have been used during the production. The PCB's are specially made, the solder is special, and everything is hand made.

Tech Talk​

This converter is based on the 32 bit Burr Brown DAC chip PCM1795. This is a DAC chip designed for high end applications. The Receiver is a Crystal CS8416. The power supply is based on high quality regulators LT317 / LT337 for the analogue section, and LP2951 for the digital section.

The construction is fed from two different windings from a well over-dimensioned transformer. And six different supplies are included on the PCB giving a clean and stable supply for each circuit.

The output stage is made of the LME6172 op-amp, which is a very high slew rate / bandwidth amplifier. The PCB is specially made for audio, and has been manufactured using a specially plating process. This process is usually reserved for Space applications. The process gives a very fine and compact cobber structure.

Every board is hand soldered to insure a strong and lasting connection. And different types of solder are used for the analogue and digital parts. For the analogue section a special clean tin is used, this is an ESA / Space approved tin. This is new tin and not reused tin as in most ordinary solder wire.

1691712420611.jpeg

Aug 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 63
Curiosity got the better of me. I placed an order and let's see if this is a "giant killer" or POS. Now the waiting begins. If it beats Sonic Frontier (R2R) or Linn (PCM FPGA), I would consider it a "win". If it comes anywhere close to Emm Labs (DSD FPGA), I would consider it a "giant killer". If it can't beat SF, then I will return the unit.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 63
Let's see, here is a dac with everything about it going against every single conventional wisdom of what constitutes "high end":
conversion tech: cheap $10 Delta-Sigma BB dac chip - no
reconstruction filter: looks like either analog or chip built-in - no
IV/output: $5 opamp chip - no
power supply: unshielded transformer and no physical separation/shielding of power stage - no
case: cheap looking DIY case (I swear my actual DIY case looks more substantial with better quality silkscrenning) - no

Dealer told me he thinks the dac sounds significantly better than Lampizator Amber 4. So either the dac is a giant killer or the dealer is full of :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 63
... is your copy of this DAC built to order? Keep us updated, please! 🙃

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 63
Sep 21, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 63
Burning in now. Looks different from the prior version - in a good way (e.g., dual encapsulated transformers for digital and analog instead of a single non-poted toroidal in the OG). Parts quality looks good; case is DIY quality.

IMG_2933.jpeg

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 63

11/5 update: price is now $2500

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 63
I like what I am hearing so far running from emm labs NS1 to the dac7 via AES. I tried to get some additional tech detail from the dealer but no dice. Few things notable about the circuit (and I could be wrong): 1. extreme short signal path from input to d/a to output, 2. potential custom analog filter, 3. discrete rectifier circuit as opposed to IC, 4. significant number of noise filters throughout the circuit. The sound profile is analog, non-fatiguing, detailed, spacious, very good micro and macro dynamics, and very good bass. Did not hear typical D/S dac chip issues, such as fatiguing HF/digital sounding and unclear layering/fuzziness in soundstage.

There is a non zero possibility that I may sell the Sonic Frontiers and keep the dac7. I haven't done any direct head to head comparison yet.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 63
Probably the most impressive D/S dac I have heard (including Bricasti M1, M5 and others). I will put up my impression over the weekend.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 63
Probably the most impressive D/S dac I have heard (including Bricasti M1, M5 and others). I will put up my impression over the weekend.
How is the listening with dac 07 going? This dac got my curiorsity. The internet is abuzz about the wandla, but i am cautious about equipment thats overly hyped, keep my options open, please do share more detailed impressions. Heard that New Ontech is releasing a new 2511 dac model.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 63
Equipment Used: Emm Labs NS1 (streamer), Emm Labs DAC2xV2 (dac only), Linn Klimax DS/1 (streamer/dac), Linn Akurate DS/3 (streamer), Headamp GSX mk2, CFA3
Headphones used: NDH30, Utopia 2022, HD800S
Cable: Audio Envy AES, DNM RCA, Hart Audio, Virtual Dynamics, Mogami Gold AES
Music Genres: jazz (small ensemble and big band), symphony, Jpop, Cpop, electronic, solo instruments.

Test Config: Emm Labs NS1 -> Mogami AES -> DAC 7 -> DNM RCA -> Headamp GSX mk2

Burn-in time: 2-5 days. The dac initially sounded dynamic and fairly natural but you can hear a bit of digital edge. After 2 days of continuous playing that was mostly remedied and the bass was both deeper and more tuneful. In other words, when I first got the dac, it sounded like a very good DS dac, but after 2-3 days, it sounded like an excellent dac.

Prior experience with DS dacs: I heard everything from the cheap Topping to Bricasti M1 to the equally good Weiss to my own Linn Klimax DS the and overpriced Solution dac. Other dacs I have heard includes everything from the form favorites like May, TT2 and Dave to dCS Rossini, Bartok, MSB Select, BAD reference, PBD MPD5, and many others.

When you talk about sound quality, the Dac 7 stands out as neutral and natural. Right off the bat, it might not wow you like the dCS or MSB, which often amp up certain sound features. Unlike other dacs, the Dac 7 doesn't try to fake warmth or make things sound more "analog." Take a few Sara K tracks, for instance. Her voice on the Dac 7 is clear, natural and upfront, making the music feel effortless with great flow. But when I tried the same tracks on the Linn Klimax DS, they seemed a touch less authentic and a bit less natural. Now, neither dac sounds digital or has any digital tint, but the Dac 7 just brings out the natural tones in voices and instruments a bit more. Putting it against Emm Labs is tougher. While the Dac 7 holds its own, Emm Labs edges it out in sound density, micro dynamics, naturalness and depth. It's like you're hearing every part of Sara K, from her voice's weight to its nuance. And this isn't just about vocals; it's the same with instruments, be it a double bass or a piano. All in all, I'd bet the Dac 7 is one of the top dacs under $10k for delivering such genuine sound.

Another thing that surprised me about the Dac 7 was its soundstage. Normally, I find DS dacs a bit blurry when it comes to pinpointing instruments or rendering an accurate and massive soundstage, making it harder to sense the space between them. But with the Dac 7, whether it's a solo or a symphony, you can tell exactly where everything is, even down to the distance between mic and solo instrument. I thought the Klimax DS was a standout in this area, but the Dac 7 took it up a notch, letting me dive deeper into the music and sense more of the "void" around instruments and between instruments. What's cool is this clarity doesn't mess with the music's natural vibe, ease and flow. The Dac 7 and Emm Labs are pretty neck-and-neck, but Emm Labs has a slight edge in capturing those finer details, especially for background instruments.

In other sound aspects, like bass, PRaT and dynamics, the Dac 7 is on par with the Linn Klimax DS. So it's top-notch.

Lastly, let's talk price. At $2300, the performance you get from the Dac 7 seems unreal, especially when you consider that the NS1/Dac7 combo goes for $6800, and others like the Linn Klimax DS/1 ($15k) and Akurate DS/3/Emm Labs combo ($25k) are priced way higher. So, is the Dac 7 punching way above its weight? Absolutely.

Edit: I paid $2300 for the dac and the dealer said I could send it back for a full refund for any reason. I am not sending this one back :k701smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back