Newer version at full price or previous at 50% off?
Sep 2, 2009 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

s_nyc

100+ Head-Fier
So, it seems that most major CD player manufacturers renew their lines quite often, at least every 2-3 years.

Do you generally feel that there is ANY real benefit in picking the last/newer model compared to the previous one at a good discount or would it be just paying for different design and their marketing team's salaray?

Just to give an example, it seems that in Europe, the Marantz SA-7001 (http://www.fernseh-seyfarth.de/catal...sa7001_lrg.jpg) costs less than half the price of the newer SA-7003 (http://i.testfreaks.be/images/produc...003.900516.jpg).

Waiting for your comments!

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 19
Bump for your impressions.

I guess the question could also read "Do you generally feel that paying that 30-50% extra for the latest CDP model is worth it".

Cheers

S.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 19
Ok, last try:
biggrin.gif

Older but brand-new Marantz SA-7001 or all-new Onkyo C-S5VL? (which retail at the same price)

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 19
On your original question, depends on model, specs, etc. Personally i like getting older models that cost more for less because you can get great value that way and the difference in sound won't be big, particularly on headphones. For the comparison below, i like that the older Marantz has had some reviews and has been out in the market for a bit. The Onkyo is newer and i didn't see much feedback doing a cursory google search.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, last try:
biggrin.gif

Older but brand-new Marantz SA-7001 or all-new Onkyo C-S5VL? (which retail at the same price)

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for your impressions. So the technology behind CD players or DACs is generally not evolving fast enough to justify the price difference between newer and older models, rights? (on the assumption that product lines are renewed every, say, 3 years)

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 19
absolutely not, and even if they were, the newer models may not even feature new technology until you get to a certain price point, so imo, it is possible to get a better machine, with better tech and features for less money than a newer model.

Do not pay a premium simply because its a new model. Half of the reason manufacturers release new models is to invent either a design or a perceived obsolesence with which to motivate the consumer to upgrade and replace with the new model thus maintaining revenue streams.

It is the same with tech, no consumer product is at the cutting edge, as manufacturers release tech on a drip feed basis.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Thanks for your impressions. So the technology behind CD players or DACs is generally not evolving fast enough to justify the price difference between newer and older models, rights? (on the assumption that product lines are renewed every, say, 3 years)

However some things like DVD players have improved, for example Oppo 983 beats pretty much all flagship DVD players from a few years ago.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 19
Always get the older one. Always, always, always.

If you're tempted by the breathless, orgasmic reviews of the new model, go back two or three years and read the breathless, orgasmic reviews of the old model. Ask yourself if there really is that much difference between the two. Then buy the cheaper one.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
absolutely not, and even if they were, the newer models may not even feature new technology until you get to a certain price point, so imo, it is possible to get a better machine, with better tech and features for less money than a newer model.

Do not pay a premium simply because its a new model. Half of the reason manufacturers release new models is to invent either a design or a perceived obsolesence with which to motivate the consumer to upgrade and replace with the new model thus maintaining revenue streams.

It is the same with tech, no consumer product is at the cutting edge, as manufacturers release tech on a drip feed basis.

This is just what I needed to read. Thanks!

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always get the older one. Always, always, always.

If you're tempted by the breathless, orgasmic reviews of the new model, go back two or three years and read the breathless, orgasmic reviews of the old model. Ask yourself if there really is that much difference between the two. Then buy the cheaper one.

Many thanks for confirming what I suspected, i.e. that there must be some kind of complicity between the audio industry and professional reviewers, whether formal or not. At least, the latter have an incentive to market the manufacturers' products as "revolutionary technology", etc. since it invariably attracts the potential reader's attention and drives sales up...

Well, my initial setup development plan was to replace my current source (an iPod) by a decent mid/low-price CD player such as the Marantz CD-5003 by the end of the year, then buy a really good DAC in the course of next year next year. Now, if the older SA-7001 is still available by the end the year, I guess I'll go for it for a bit more than the CD-5003 and might not even see the need to buy a DAC in the future while also enjoying SACDs...

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Many thanks for confirming what I suspected, i.e. that there must be some kind of complicity between the audio industry and professional reviewers, whether formal or not. At least, the latter have an incentive to market the manufacturers' products as "revolutionary technology", etc. since it invariably attracts the potential reader's attention and drives sales up...

Pretty much. Also keep in mind that reviewers usually end up getting to know manufacturers and becoming personal friends. It would be hard to criticize a friend's product, wouldn't it? Even just saying that it's a lot like the old model wouldn't go over well. There probably isn't outright corruption, but those who don't "play ball" probably find themselves with very few products to review.

Also, keep in mind that you don't want to spend a lot on a digital source. If you pick around Audiogon, you'll see that almost all of them drop 50% or more in value right out of the box. They continue to fall after that, usually 80% or 90% off after about four years. The problem with old units is that they become impossible to repair. Your only hope is usually to cannibalize other models.

That's why I'll buy a good player on closeout every few years. You don't get the wild depreciation and you don't have to worry about having a $2,000 doorstop if it stops working.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back