Newer member here, bought my second set of cans today. Grado SR80i.
May 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

painted klown

100+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]OK gang, I bought another pair of cans today. About a week ago I bout some Skullcandy Supreme Sound Aviators...

I went back to the same store to audition some more headphones after doing some reading and learning about various different models.

I actually went in to listen to/possibly buy some AT M-50s but they didn't have any on display or in stock so I decided to finally get some Grado cans as I had originally planned. I listened to everything from the igrado through the 325is.

I have to say that I found most of them to be a bit bright sounding for my taste, but that could be attributed to a thousand different variables. I also find that living with a product gives you a real idea of its performance vs. standing in a store with the salesman hovering over you.
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

The 325is had a refined sound that I found to be quite impressive, but I wasn't looking to spend at that price point today. I feel like I am still searching for that "dream" headphone, so I am trying to buy in at a relatively small price point to get a feel for various different "house sounds" that different lines have.

Well after doing a/b listening tests in the store, I found myself coming back to the Grado SR80i headphones. I kept comparing them to the 125s, and I did find the 12s sounded a bit more "refined" than the 80s, but for some reason they seemed a shade too bright in the treble range for my taste...so I ended up plunking down my card for the 80s. I literally just got back in the door and have them playing the new Norah into my ears (at a low volume until I have enough hours on them to loosen them up well) as I type this.

I will come back here with a full report once I have had a proper amount of time to really evaluate their sound. As this is only my second pair of "real" headphones, I will end up comparing these to my Skullcandy Aviators, but it should be an interesting compare/contrast either way.

At first I was really impressed with the midrange on the Aviators (it is their strong suit) but after living with them for a week or so, I found them to get a little congested when playing recordings with a lot of textures/layers (Blood Sugar Sex Magik) and wanted to try out some more audio "flavors".[/size]

[size=x-small]You can read my original thread about the Aviators here:[/size]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/609770/headphone-amplifier-headphone-recommendations

I opened that thread to ask about amps really, but it turned into a headphone discussion. I also read a bunch of stuff on here and decided to go with what I had originally planned with getting some Grados.

I had them to put me on a list to give me a call when the ATH-M50 'phones are in as well. There is no such thing as too much of a good thing. LOL!

[size=x-small]Thanks for reading.
smiley.gif
[/size]

May 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
The Alessandros (MS1 & 2) are essentially Grados with less brightness in their respective sound signatures.  Check them out if you can find them.

Thanks for the tip. I will do some reading up on them/check them out.

As stated, I just got home with the Grados, so I haven't formed any kind of opinion on them yet, I am now playing some burn in tracks/test tones through them, to break in the suspension a bit. I am not 100% sure this is necessary with headphones so much, but I do believe it is necessary with traditional loudspeakers (though there are those who disagree) so I like to do this with my cans as well. I suppose it gives me a little peace of mind before cranking Skrillex through them. LOL!

May 26, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 12
I just wanted to give a bit of an update here.

While listening to my SR80i 'phones last night, at a low volume, playing Mumford and Sons "Sigh No More", I suddenly noticed/realized that my Grados were sounding a bit different. As if everything was fleshed out a bit more or something, and perhaps the bass was a hair fuller as well.

I am not 100% convinced in either direction when it comes to burn in, but if it does exist, I feel like I experienced it last night. Just to be sure I wasn't hearing things, I turned it up and started going through several tracks I am familiar with and commonly use as references when auditioning new gear.

Sure enough, I think everything was sounding a little bit better. To be honest, I was beginning to wonder what all the fuss was over Grado. I thought they were alright HPs, but not really leaps and bounds beyond others in their price range (I am a noob so I have not heard a WHOLE lot of different cans). I think I finally realized what everyone was talking about in regards to their sound. They are pretty good little cans, and at $100, certainly worth giving a shot.

I also feel that I could be writing this revised opinion too soon. The reason being is that I was tired last night, and listening to a record that I had just purchased. If you haven't heard "Sigh No More" then I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful sounding record that is VERY well mastered, and is filled with "soulful" and meaningful songs. Due to this being such an amazing record, I could have just been experiencing a placebo effect caused by listening to music that made me react in such a way...

I am going to do some more listening tests today, and see how it goes. I will post my findings in here.

May 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 12
The good thing about Grados is that they scale up very well when you go up in the product line. In other words, the headphones sound better the more you spend money on the higher model.

May 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for your input everyone.

When I auditioned the Grados, I chose the 80s because (IMO) they seemed a bit smoother on the top end...not quite as bright as the others in the lineup. I am not sure why, as I felt the 60s and everything up the the line (above the 80s) were brighter. It seemed as if the 80s had a sound signature all their own. Perhaps I am only imagining the difference...

I am currently listening to Jack Johnson "Sleep Through The Static" and I have to admit that I am LOVING what I hear. I have listened to this record a million times on a million different systems, and I am very familiar with how it sounds. Also, it was recorded to tape and has a great mastering job on the CD (not brick walled and hyped) so it sounds nice and clean with some lovely tape hiss, tube amp hum, and well recorded and clean drums.

The SR80is sound natural, and have a "lush" sound that goes well with organic (non electronic/computer generated) music. There is a nice realism to the sound, and they are fairly transparent, given their price point limitations. They aren't what I would consider hyped sounding at all (my favorite thing about them). The mids are in tact, and not scooped out, as I seem to hear on many cans. The highs are extended, and (on this model) do not seem overly bright at all, and I have a SEVERE aversion to bright speakers and headphones. I cannot stand ear piercing highs that ruin the music at high volumes...exactly where I like to listen.

As I have mentioned, I wasn't super impressed with them initially, but either they have "burned in" nicely, or my brain has! LOL!

To keep my assessment completely honest and fair, I do have to point out what I consider to be their weaknesses. There are only a few that I have found thus far.

First, is the much discussed comfort issue, so I will leave that alone.

The other quibbles I have are related to the sound. In my opinion, the biggest "weakness" seems to be an odd "hump" or "bump" (not sure of the correct terminology) in the frequency response in the upper mids. The frequency "hump" seems to affect male vocals, and some guitar parts the most. What this amounts to is that the headphones sound almost painfully loud with certain frequencies.

For a great example of this, play "Breaking the girl" from Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anthony's voice seems to move through the "bumped" frequencies several times during this song. Another example I found while listening to Jack Johnson. If you play the song "Hope" from his "Sleep through the static" record, you will see what I am talking about. The clean electric guitar is a bit "biting" sounding, causing some discomfort. In addition, Jack's voice exhibits the same phenomenon.

Moving on, I find that the SR80is can become quite congested sounding with a layered and "busy" sounding track. For a great example of this, go back to "Breaking the girl" from the RHCP. This is quite apparent in the beginning, when the acoustic guitar is playing, and Flea (Michael Balzary) comes in with a complex and "rocking" bass line. The idea is to create this nice textural contrast with the clean acoustic, but the Grados fail a bit in getting that across to the listener because it begins to sound congested, cramped, and the two instruments lose their ability to "breath" and start to take up the same sonic space...I hope that makes sense. LOL!

Lastly, is the bass. While I do not find it to be one note, or anything like that, I do feel that it could be better defined. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "mushy", but it leans that direction a bit IMO. I feel that if the 80s were more "capable" with bass (perhaps tighter and given its own spot to "live"), then the issues I noticed with the opening of "Breaking The Girl" would not sound as "clustered" as as it does.

Bass extension is another minor "issue" I have found. While the bass does extend deep enough for most rock music, it does not dig down deep with the authority needed to play bass heavy electronic (rap, dubstep, etc) music with the same "conviction" as it handles more natural sounding sounds.

Having said all that, please do not think this is meant to be another Grado bash fest. I certainly am not intending this write up to be anything near that. I just feel that total honesty must be used, to ensure that I remain credible, and not come across as a Grado "fanboy".

In summation, I bought the Skullcandy Supreme Sound Aviators about a week prior to picking up the Grado SR80is, and although these two 'phones are sonically very different from one another, neither one had impressed me enough to "recommend". Now that I have had the Grados for about a week, and they (or I) have had some time to burn in, I feel that they have really "came into their own" and honestly do impress me quite a bit. For every "complaint" that I have, there is enough great sound to be had with them, that I now feel that these perform far beyond the (more expensive) Aviators I had purchased first.

When you consider the $100 asking price, and the quality of sound you get from the Grado SR80i 'phones, I can easily and enthusiastically recommend these to anyone looking for a great entry level set of cans. As long as you take into account their weaknesses and can live with with them. I know I certainly can, and live happily at that! 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: [size=x-small]Reading back my "review", it appears as if I only focused on the negatives I noticed. I want to add here that I am still listening to them as I surf around. I am currently playing Dave Matthews Band's "Some Devil" and the Grados are impressing me more and more. This record is well recorded, and mastered, with plenty of organic sound, and the SR80is are doing an excellent job of with all of it.[/size]

Smooth, clean, and natural sounding all the way. These really are a bargain at $100, and when playing well recorded and well mastered rock music they are simply stunning! The more I listen, the more impressed I am. I know I am gushing a bit here, but I SERIOUSLY did NOT see these cans opening up like they have. Listen to "Baby" and "Grey Blue Eyes" from DMB's "Some Devil" CD and you will see what I am talking about. Also, play "Trouble" and listen for that shaker egg to come in on the left channel. Very nice detail retrieval with these 'phones. The bass (guitar) and drum driven track "Save Me" is another delight with these 'phones. Fun and realistic sound that is sure to have you tapping your toes, bobbing your head, and smiling with delight. Heck, just play the entire record, its awesome!
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 12
The SR 60 & 80 have remained some the best bargains in headphones since they were released almost two decades ago.  They have been improved and the price for these always made in USA cans have increased a "whopping" $10 in all that time.  Although their signature sound and design can be polarizing, they are both true enduring classics of the headphone world.

May 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Hate to be a party pooper but - don't get me wrong - I was there when the Chilli's broke out with their debut album - having said that - their recording team
or crew will not be winning awards anytime soon - essentially most if not all of their recordings absolutely stink - glassy, brittle - mixed and mastered
for $24.99 Walmart i-Docks.

It's a shame as I think Keidis, Flea and the gang are a talented lot - the guys in the production room? Time to revisit 'Audio Engineering 101'.

May 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 12
 Hearing is believing mate - have a listen to this and get an idea of what the ol' SR80 is capable of - Funkadelic's 'Cosmic Slop'

No doubt this album sits with the Chilli's in their own personal record collection - a reference funky good time.

May 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Hate to be a party pooper but - don't get me wrong - I was there when the Chilli's broke out with their debut album - having said that - their recording team
or crew will not be winning awards anytime soon - essentially most if not all of their recordings absolutely stink - glassy, brittle - mixed and mastered
for $24.99 Walmart i-Docks.

It's a shame as I think Keidis, Flea and the gang are a talented lot - the guys in the production room? Time to revisit 'Audio Engineering 101'.

I am actually referring to their fifth studio record, not their first one. It was produced by Rick Rubin, he certainly knows his way around a recording studio. Rick Rubin has produced records for RHCP, Slayer, Black Crowes, Johnny Cash, Justin Timberlake, Audioslave, Limp Bizkit, Aerosmith, Weezer, System of a Down, U2, Dixie Chicks, Macy Gray + many, many others.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik was recorded with care and love. In fact there is a video they released titled "Funky Monks" that chronicles the records' recording. Perhaps their first record was done by amateurs, but "Blood Sugar" was recorded by one of the industries greatest and most respected producers.
cool.gif

Regarding Funkadelic "Cosmic Slop", I have not heard that record, but the album cover is certainly intriguing.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 12
PK: I can definitely relate to what you're experiencing. The 80s aren't perfect by any means, but at their price point they were quite a bit more appealing to me than the other six or seven offerings I spent time with and/or purchased. And you're a long way from being a fanboy, my friend. A fanboy is someone who becomes emotionally attached to a brand and loses all objectivity with regard to their ability to compare and contrast one piece of gear with another. That's a lot different than just beign excited about a new purchase or, as you came across, being someone who was enjoying a new headphone while trying to discern if it's the right one for them. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences, and if you ever decide to move up the Grado line, give the PS500s an audition. So far these are easily my favorite Grados...just fantastic cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back