newby - DT880/600 amping recommendation question
Dec 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 24
OK - it looks like the advice has run out - thanks all very much for your input. Right now it looks like the Jade is going to be my next purchase - but if there is one thing I have learned on this forum - it will not be my last!

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 24
I should have seen this thread earlier, I have experience with the X-CanV8P, DT880.

As for the DT880/X-CanV8P combo: I think it works very nicely, infact the DT880 bass gets tighter. You see the V8P doesn't have a current/voltage limiter, so the DT880 can draw as much voltage as it needs, as well as current. The sounds gains a nice warmth and fullness and the highs smooth out slightly.

If you want, I can compare it to the Roc.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have seen this thread earlier, I have experience with the X-CanV8P, DT880.

As for the DT880/X-CanV8P combo: I think it works very nicely, infact the DT880 bass gets tighter. You see the V8P doesn't have a current/voltage limiter, so the DT880 can draw as much voltage as it needs, as well as current. The sounds gains a nice warmth and fullness and the highs smooth out slightly.

If you want, I can compare it to the Roc.

Hi Zombie_X thanks for your views on the X-CanV8P. That is very interesting indeed. I would be very grateful for a comparison to the Roc. BTW is your DT880 a 250ohm or 600ohm version?

P

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #19 of 24
Mine is a 600Ohm DT880, and I think the X-CanV8P does a decent job of powering it.

The Roc is far more neutral sounding with faster transients and also a flatter sound. One thing to note is that the Roc is not at all analytical like most solid states, but is rather smooth sounding. The soundstage is also much bigger with lots of depth and air.

I can say that the Roc can fully power the DT880 600Ohm and then some. The V8P is no slouch, but I'd take the Roc or something equivalent like a Woo Audio amp.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is a 600Ohm DT880, and I think the X-CanV8P does a decent job of powering it.

The Roc is far more neutral sounding with faster transients and also a flatter sound. One thing to note is that the Roc is not at all analytical like most solid states, but is rather smooth sounding. The soundstage is also much bigger with lots of depth and air.

I can say that the Roc can fully power the DT880 600Ohm and then some. The V8P is no slouch, but I'd take the Roc or something equivalent like a Woo Audio amp.

Thanks for that Zombie_X - I'll have a look into the Roc. It wasn't on my list but it is now! Happy New Year BTW!
dt880smile.png

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 24
Thanks guys and yes it's in balanced mode. Balanced sounds more powerful and also sounds clearer. Single Ended also sounds very good.

SkyLab has a review of the Pheonix floating around on this board somewhere, if I were you I'd read it seeing as the Roc is the same thing with just a little less power and features.

Well that's what Kingwa told me in an e-mail. I was originally going to get the Pheonix but he said the Roc sounds nearly the same and is just a little less powerful.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good SS amp will do great, as will a tube amp. Tube will do slightly better but if you have any plans on getting a low impedance can such as Grados or Denons in the future, I'd go with SS as they absolutely blow with tubes, whereas a good SS will do just fine with 600 ohm DT880s.

Need your budget to fully recommend something, but just as a starting point, the Audio-GD Compass will cover both your DAC and amp needs, and drives 600 ohm cans flawlessly, and performs at the level of gear twice it's price (with the exception of other Audio-GD products).

Have you actually heard the Denons with a tube amp? If so, which model of Denon, and which amp? I've heard that they pair fairly well with my Elekit TU-882. It is a tube amp and does pretty well with lower impedance cans (but this is atypical for more tube amps).

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you actually heard the Denons with a tube amp? If so, which model of Denon, and which amp? I've heard that they pair fairly well with my Elekit TU-882. It is a tube amp and does pretty well with lower impedance cans (but this is atypical for more tube amps).

I don't know if he has but I have heard the D5000 and D7000 on my X-CanV8P and they sound fantastic. Very full and assertive sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back