newby - DT880/600 amping recommendation question
Dec 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pytter

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - My first post!

So first a little background: I recently went to Singapore and had some time to kill. I had been after some Grado SR80i for a while and the price out there is much sharper than the UK so ended up with a pair. Alas I found this forum and realised that I would need a portable amp to go with my laptop and the Grados. As the iBasso D4 was on its way, the local headphone shop was keen to offload their stock of D2s so bought one of those. Unfortunately the damage to my wallet did not stop there....

another great shop out there, namely Jaden (great bunch of guys by the way) convinced my that I need something a bit more classy than the Grados, so to cut a long story short, I ended up with a pair of DT880 600ohm and a little Crossroads amp for a good deal.

I am very impressed with the sound of the Beyers but know that the little amp is struggling to do them justice.

So it is time to upgrade the amp. My music is mostly cds uploaded onto my mac in lossless form and somer higher quality digital recordings from Linn. I am looking to buy a v-dac and thanks to the wonderful reviews and posts by you all, I am now looking at a getting a tube amp (always fancied one!)

The initial shortlist, due to price and smallish footprint (needs to go on a workdesk with imac and other stuff) is:
- Darkvoice 336se
- Little Dot Mark iii or iv
- Audiotailor Jade
- Musical Fidelity X-Can V8p (I can stretch to this if as I probably won't need the V-Can)

My musical taste is very varied and includes classical, rock, funk and some electronic/ dance but I tend to listen mostly to Jazz and world music (very vocal/ mid-range focussed)

So I am really hoping that other DT880/600 users can give me their impressions on what would be a good amp for my needs (from the list above or other!)

Sorry if this is a bit long but a month or so of lurking has almost made my head explode with the amount of information that is on this forum!
atsmile.gif

Peter

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 24
As a high ohm can, u need to find an OTL one in order to drive it well.

Personally i have tried

- Audiotailor Jade
- Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 (discontinued) with X-PSU

and i am sure that X-Can cannot drive the DT880/600 to explore its potential. I am satisfied with the sound comes out thru Jade.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 24
powerful SS works as well. in your price range, the M3 is a perfect match.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 24
A good SS amp will do great, as will a tube amp. Tube will do slightly better but if you have any plans on getting a low impedance can such as Grados or Denons in the future, I'd go with SS as they absolutely blow with tubes, whereas a good SS will do just fine with 600 ohm DT880s.

Need your budget to fully recommend something, but just as a starting point, the Audio-GD Compass will cover both your DAC and amp needs, and drives 600 ohm cans flawlessly, and performs at the level of gear twice it's price (with the exception of other Audio-GD products).

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 24
I'm selling my Jade if you're interested. I really love the amp, but it triggers my asthma somehow, so I regretfully have to part with it. Sounds fantastic with beyers (note I have 250 ohm), but obviously it drives 600 ohm well.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: n/m - i see you're in the UK. After shipping it probably would be less expensive to get a Jade new from Joe than get a used one from the US. I do recommend the amp though - sounds fantastic and is a great value for the $ (or pounds
tongue.gif
).

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm selling my Jade if you're interested. I really love the amp, but it triggers my asthma somehow, so I regretfully have to part with it. Sounds fantastic with beyers (note I have 250 ohm), but obviously it drives 600 ohm well.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: n/m - i see you're in the UK. After shipping it probably would be less expensive to get a Jade new from Joe than get a used one from the US. I do recommend the amp though - sounds fantastic and is a great value for the $ (or pounds
tongue.gif
).

I'm in Canada... how much are you wanting for it?

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 24
I am really enjoying the Goldpoint Heapdhone Pro with the DT880 (03, 250ohm). Like it better than the Little Dot MKIV SE.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gorgeous headphones.

Thanks, I like them. Had them custom made by MANUFAKTUR and I think they sound exceptional with the CSP2. Just installed a 5Z3 rectifier with adaptor this morning and I am in in awe of the sounds now coming out of the beyers. I thought they sounded great before but now they are simply grand! This Mullard CV2493 & 5Z3 combo is quite sweet...
dt880smile.png

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really enjoying the Goldpoint Heapdhone Pro with the DT880 (03, 250ohm). Like it better than the Little Dot MKIV SE.

apatN - what is it you like better about the Goldpoint?

userlander - thanks for the offer! but you are quite right, I am based in the UK and the postage (and import duty) would make that uneconomic!

musicmind - thanks for the pointer - I have read quite a few of his reviews which is partly how I got to my initial shortlist.

stoutblock - I'll have a look into the CSP2 - though with the postage and duty from the US they are beyond what I was intending to spend
fishki13 - ditto for the M3

necrolic - interesting - I'll have to do some research into the Compass. I also have some Grados but I am not too worried at the moment about the new amp driving them as I have an iBasso D2 which I use with my laptop which is OK for now. budget is around £300/$450 incl postage and duty but I can stretch it if the reason is compelling!

oldwine - interestign that you don't think the x-can can drive the DT880s - that's one off my list then - Looks like the JAde is moving up on the list!

Hope I haven't left anybody out! - I now have quite a bit to research over the next few days whilst sitting around the house digesting turkey!

Please do keep the suggestions coming!

Merry Christmas all!

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoutblock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab was the one that talked me into the Decware CSP2. Great combination!

decware_010net.jpg

Hi Stoutblock - Nice rig - but what is that awesome bit of kit just out of the picture? Looks like quite an amp!

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pytter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Stoutblock - Nice rig - but what is that awesome bit of kit just out of the picture? Looks like quite an amp!

That is one of two Primaluna Prologue 7 mono blocks from my system #2. Also has a First Sound Presence Deluxe, Music Hall Maverick and Music Hall DAC 25.2.

decware_007net.jpg

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoutblock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is one of two Primaluna Prologue 7 mono blocks from my system #2. Also has a First Sound Presence Deluxe, Music Hall Maverick and Music Hall DAC 25.2.

decware_007net.jpg

Damn - shouldn't have asked! Now I have found more excellent kit to consider buying! Seriously though, that is a very nice set-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back