Newbie's Custom Painted HD25's
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheManJP

New Head-Fier
Hello all, new Head-Fi member here. After searching the forums for good all-purpose headphones, I settled on the HD25-1 II partly because of its sound quality and comfort, but also because it can be disassembled and reassembled easily. Since they would be mostly used at home, I figured it didn't matter how badly I messed up painting them and that I had nothing to lose. I found a guide, and went to work. I put down a layer of primer, painted what I wanted, put down masks made with a vinyl cutter, and coated it with matte black and clear acrylic paint to finish it off.

From what I did, and what I would recommend to anyone else who wants to give spraypainting headphones a try, is to go slow. Like, really slow. Apply layers of spraypaint that are lighter than you think you need and give them plenty of time to dry between coats. Between applying primer, paint and sealant, give each a day or two to set up before moving on. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. My paint job isn't particularly neat or tidy, and there are some bubbles that are my own fault. That being said, I'm really happy with how these turned out. I hope that this can help anyone looking to paint their own headphones, and I hope you give it a shot!

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Aaaaaand a couple pictures. Anybody know how I could get cleaner lines around the design? Briefly considered razoring out the masks (with the black paint on top of them.)

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 7
The feather is nicely done.  I would go over the HD 25 part because I always thought the font looked plain.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 7
That's a good paint job did you clear on top of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back