Newbie wants to build a Cmoy BB
Mar 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SoundOfKhaos

New Head-Fier
 Hello guys. First post:p Anyway I have a little experience with audio and have decided that I want to build a CMoy amp to play with. I've been lurking on past threads here and other place's and think I want to try the CmoyBB. Any tip's hint's or anything? this will be my first full blown DIY audio project.I have installed car stereos and made sub box's(crappy ones...) I can solder (not the best but I can), I don't know how to read an electrical diagram fully but I can make out the simple ones for the Cmoy's easy enough. Been looking into DIY audio for a time, the Cmoy strike's me as a good first project. once its build I'll pick up something better than my current headset(Paltronics Gamecom 377..they are ok for cheap headset). 

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and tips. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm getting ready to build one in the coming weeks (waiting on a friend who is currently moving). Parts have been received. I just need to eat a box of Altoids.  :)

Will report on any issues, solutions, challenges.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I'm getting ready to build one in the coming weeks (waiting on a friend who is currently moving). Parts have been received. I just need to eat a box of Altoids.  :)

Will report on any issues, solutions, challenges.

That would be amazing! I would love to hear how it goes. I'm very excited. As soon as I figure out what headphone's I want to get(being picky...cant find the right ones yet) I'll have more of an idea of what bits to build it with.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 10
good project to start with. I never got to buid one. have lots of parts from previous builts... but not enough to assemble a compelte one.. with quality parts... even Cmoy becomes expensive. and I already have an iBasso D4, so i can't justify buying more parts to build another portable even if it's fun to build :frowning2:  good luck on yours~

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
good project to start with. I never got to buid one. have lots of parts from previous builts... but not enough to assemble a compelte one.. with quality parts... even Cmoy becomes expensive. and I already have an iBasso D4, so i can't justify buying more parts to build another portable even if it's fun to build :frowning2:  good luck on yours~

I'm looking for good quality parts for the BB build lol.

EDIT: anyone have any good OPAMP recommendations? 

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 10
I went with the recommended BOM from JDS: http://www.jdslabs.com/bom203.php

The price really jumps when you buy the power adapter. I also went with the rechargeable option, which adds to the cost. But I did save some on shipping by combining the parts order with the O2 that I intend on building later. All told, I'm saving about $100 (+ shipping) total when compared to buying both built amps from JDS.

And I'm doing this for the challenge and hobby. I'm thrilled to have two quality amps already. Maybe these builds will be improvements, maybe not. I compare it to knitting for guys.  :)

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 10
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html here is a small list of OPAMP comparison. I'm sure that there are plenty more detailed comparison out there. Usually the more expensive the better because precision of the chip is related to price, but again... higher precision does not necessarily yeild better sound.. you might want to try a few yourself to get the one you truely like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back