Newbie taking a big leap, looking for guiding hands in his search for headphones, as well as a DAC and Amp - Budget around €3000
Apr 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 26
Well, another pair of headphones pushes the Elear further down on my list it seems. I’m not complaining though, this is exactly why I created this thread!

During the day I’ve tried doing some more reading on various things mentioned yesterday. Read your full review on the AEON as well as this comparison with the Eikon, which like I mentioned put the AEON right on my list of headphones. I could see myself owning both the AEON and Eikon at some point, question is which end I should start at.

Also went back and read some more about the HE-1000 as suggested by @saidentary. I don’t think they’ll make my list right now. While I can see the value in purchasing a used pair of headphones, there is something special about new products for me. A new pair of HE-1000 would take my entire budget, which is not what I had in mind right now (and also not what you suggested).

As for the MZ2-S amp, it seems very interesting, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to make it fit in my budget. Definitely will try and see if I can make it fit somehow. Only thing I’m worried about is how it seem to reveal everything, heh. Might give some of the stuff I listen to a hard time. Maybe I could just listen to those things on a different source, we’ll see.

Another thing I’m trying to figure out is the DAC part. I’ve read more about Chord and their DACs, and I’m quite a bit more interested in them now. Question is how much I would gain with a 2qute or Hugo 2 compared to a Mojo. The Hugo 2 would also be very hard to fit in my budget. But like mentioned, my plan was from the beginning to not have to feel the need to upgrade in a couple of years, be it Hugo 2 or a Mojo 2 (potential future product I assume). Maybe I’m overthinking it, I don’t know.

Quote:
  If you want to know what's better for your music, list off some band names.  I listen to metal but not enough to know all the little variations by name.  Fortunately I've got Tidal so I can demo some stuff and let you know.

This is a really cool offer, and I think I’ll take you up on that :D Tried putting together a list as short as possible, don’t want to be too much of a bother. List structure is; Artist – Album – “Track title”. I listed “Any track” on two albums, which means just that, every track can give me feedback I’d be interested in. So, if you could just demo one song on each album that would be awesome! Would cover plenty of ground for me. Anyway, the list:

Epica – The Quantum Enigma – Any track (Except for “Originem” I guess)
Sonata Arctica – Unia – “Caleb” or “My Dream’s But A Drop Of Fuel For A Nightmare”
Hizaki – Rosario – Any track

I appreciate the help from everyone so far, and if anyone has anything to add based on this new wall of text, I’d take all the input I can get :D

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 26

Epica – The Quantum Enigma – Any track (Except for “Originem” I guess)
Sonata Arctica – Unia – “Caleb” or “My Dream’s But A Drop Of Fuel For A Nightmare”
Hizaki – Rosario – Any track

Epica - "The Second Stone" - On the Eikon - Thick and chunky rhythm guitars, liquid vocals, orchestra/chorus is very big feeling.  Drums are a bit recessed, lead guitar is a bit recessed.  On the AEON - Clean with punchy bass hits, much less bass relatively speaking but not bass light IMO, drums and guitar solo work are more balanced, orchestral/chorus is beautiful, lead vocals are less forward but not recessed.  Overall:  Eikon is warmer and slower with a more epic feeling, AEON is fast and clean for a more technical feel.  I prefer the AEON here slightly because I don't like that the drums are a little recessed and I tend to enjoy the more technical guitar and drum work in metal, rather than the vocals and orchestra.  If you want to hear more of the epic orchestral shizz, the Eikon is preferable.  Very much a personal preference here as they're both great.

Sonata Arctica - "Caleb" - Eikon:  Chunky guitars riffs are the emphasis pushing the vocals back a little.  "My Dreams..." piano and vocals in the intro sound great, guitars push everything back when they come in.  Everything is a bit muddy, probably the mastering but the Eikon doesn't do it any favors.  AEON: "Caleb" is more balanced across the board so no instrument is particularly emphasized.  Vocals are cleaner here and I can hear more detail.  "My Dreams..." vocals and piano in intro are really nice again.  Bass is light in the recording and the AEON doesn't add any extra making this song feel bass light.  Guitars are less intrusive here.  The speed of the AEON definitely handles all the layered instruments and vocals better, cleaning up the mud a bit.  I'm going to give the nod to the AEON here for the ability to pick out the different layers better.  Eikon is a bit more visceral but not quite fast enough to do this band justice.

HIZAKI = "Presto"  Eikon:  Oh epic!  Full bodied and colorful, plenty of detail to hear the resonance in the violin body while still giving a great cohesive performance.  Driving and visceral and gets my whole body moving!  AEON:  Still epic, but not as... tactile.  More speed lets you pick out all the layers better again making for a more analytical listening experience.  Still epic but in a different way.  Listened to a few more tracks and the Eikon totally ******* wins this one.  Also I super like this album!  lol

I'm going to listen to this whole album now.  On the Eikon.  
dt880smile.png

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #18 of 26
Wow, this is really nice! Thank you so much for doing this! Also, nice that you found something that you liked :D

My initial thought is; I guess that planar magnetic is what I was searching for this time around after all, heh. I wanted that speed that can keep up with the music I tend to listen to a lot, and I am a quite analytical listener. But then again, I’ve never owned a pair of planars, so the Eikon is probably “quite similar” to what I’ve had before, but much better.

So I can still definitely see myself getting both these headphones at some point, but the AEON probably has the edge when it comes to picking the first pair of the two. I need to experience the planars first.

This gives my budget more room for the DAC and Amp too I guess. Not sure if spending more on this compared to headphones is something people in general would recommend, but I do think I’ll be getting more headphones in the future. I’ve come to realize that’s inevitable pretty much, heh.

But yea, this was very helpful indeed. Next step for me will be to find an amp that I think will fit me, as I’m quite certain that I’ll be going for a DAC from Chord. That Hugo 2 is very tempting too…

How things have changed these past two days, heh. I previously kept overlooking things for the wrong reasons.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 26
  Wow, this is really nice! Thank you so much for doing this! Also, nice that you found something that you liked :D

My initial thought is; I guess that planar magnetic is what I was searching for this time around after all, heh. I wanted that speed that can keep up with the music I tend to listen to a lot, and I am a quite analytical listener. But then again, I’ve never owned a pair of planars, so the Eikon is probably “quite similar” to what I’ve had before, but much better.

So I can still definitely see myself getting both these headphones at some point, but the AEON probably has the edge when it comes to picking the first pair of the two. I need to experience the planars first.

This gives my budget more room for the DAC and Amp too I guess. Not sure if spending more on this compared to headphones is something people in general would recommend, but I do think I’ll be getting more headphones in the future. I’ve come to realize that’s inevitable pretty much, heh.

But yea, this was very helpful indeed. Next step for me will be to find an amp that I think will fit me, as I’m quite certain that I’ll be going for a DAC from Chord. That Hugo 2 is very tempting too…

How things have changed these past two days, heh. I previously kept overlooking things for the wrong reasons.

Well one of the nice things about the AEON is that it's pretty easy to drive.  You might think about just getting a Mojo for now (Hugo2 isn't out quite yet last I checked) and holding off on more purchases.  The Mojo drives the AEON very well without additional amping thanks to eh low impedance of the AEON.  It's a great pairing and doesn't really need anything else at that point.  Then if/when you decide to get something else, think about adding a nice amp to the mix.

Then again, Aeon just got pushed back a little also so it's about a month out now.  Hugo2 may well be out by then and it may be the last DAC you ever really need.  It too doesn't need an amp right away so you don't have to worry about blowing your budget for amp and DAC on just a DAC.

Lots to think about.  But you've got time.  While you're deciding, you might look into the ZMF Ori (nee Omni), which is a planar too.  It's got some of that big bass and thick sound of the Eikon but with the speed of a planar.  

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #20 of 26

Well one of the nice things about the AEON is that it's pretty easy to drive.  You might think about just getting a Mojo for now (Hugo2 isn't out quite yet last I checked) and holding off on more purchases.  The Mojo drives the AEON very well without additional amping thanks to eh low impedance of the AEON.  It's a great pairing and doesn't really need anything else at that point.  Then if/when you decide to get something else, think about adding a nice amp to the mix.

Then again, Aeon just got pushed back a little also so it's about a month out now.  Hugo2 may well be out by then and it may be the last DAC you ever really need.  It too doesn't need an amp right away so you don't have to worry about blowing your budget for amp and DAC on just a DAC.

Lots to think about.  But you've got time.  While you're deciding, you might look into the ZMF Ori (nee Omni), which is a planar too.  It's got some of that big bass and thick sound of the Eikon but with the speed of a planar.  

Yea, got plenty of time to consider all my options. Think I saw somewhere that the preliminary release date for the Hugo 2 is April 27, but if I do end up going for it, my purchase would still be later. The Hugo 2 is quite high on my list right now, cause like you say, I can just add an amp later on and I’d probably not feel the need for a new DAC in a very long time. Hopefully not ever, hehe, I wish…

But oh man, you shouldn’t have mentioned the Ori. Bubinga... I already have a weakness for bubinga on drums… That alone puts the headphones on my list lol.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 26

Yea, got plenty of time to consider all my options. Think I saw somewhere that the preliminary release date for the Hugo 2 is April 27, but if I do end up going for it, my purchase would still be later. The Hugo 2 is quite high on my list right now, cause like you say, I can just add an amp later on and I’d probably not feel the need for a new DAC in a very long time. Hopefully not ever, hehe, I wish…

But oh man, you shouldn’t have mentioned the Ori. Bubinga... I already have a weakness for bubinga on drums… That alone puts the headphones on my list lol.

Not sure its 100% confirmed yet,but everyone is pretty confident(hopeful?) that once the Atticus/Eikon gets out of backorder stage Zach will release rare wood versions.
eek.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #22 of 26
  Not sure its 100% confirmed yet,but everyone is pretty confident(hopeful?) that once the Atticus/Eikon gets out of backorder stage Zach will release rare wood versions.
eek.gif

He's done it with every other headphone, no reason to think he wouldn't do it with the new ones...

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 26
Apr 24, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 26

Yeah, his new headphones (Atticus and Eikon) are all 100% his now.  If you like the "classic" ZMF sound from the Omni/Ori the Atticus will float your boat.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #25 of 26

Also went back and read some more about the HE-1000 as suggested by @saidentary. I don’t think they’ll make my list right now. While I can see the value in purchasing a used pair of headphones, there is something special about new products for me. A new pair of HE-1000 would take my entire budget, which is not what I had in mind right now (and also not what you suggested).

As for the MZ2-S amp, it seems very interesting, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to make it fit in my budget. Definitely will try and see if I can make it fit somehow. Only thing I’m worried about is how it seem to reveal everything, heh. Might give some of the stuff I listen to a hard time. Maybe I could just listen to those things on a different source, we’ll see.

I appreciate the help from everyone so far, and if anyone has anything to add based on this new wall of text, I’d take all the input I can get :D

About the HE-1000s--Obviously not a good fit if required to  be new.  That would be UNLESS you can find some new ones that are ~ half price.  I don't know if that's possible.  Also, given how awesome Zach's headphones are, I can hardly imagine anyone being disappointed with them.  And that's based on listening to his OLDER ones--the new ones may be even better.  One of the many great things about Zach is that he'll spend time getting an idea of your sonic preferences.  It's hard to imagine going wrong with ZMF headphones--ever.

About the MZ2-S.  You don't need the MZ2-S, which is the more expensive version.  The MZ2 is the current entry level version, at $1200.  I have the original MicroZOTL 2 with its switching power supply.  It ROCKS.   I feel no urge to upgrade.

I think I sent you a link to Zach's post about hearing the MicroZOTL 2 at a headphone meet in Chicago, but just in case, here's what he said:  Zach's comments  in post #24 from 8/10/15

He and Linear Tube Audio hit it off so well that they did a collaborative project together.  The main points are 1) The MZ2 would be an awesome match with Zach's phones, and he even owns one so he can tell you personally how well any given one of his headphones match with the MicroZOTL 2; 2) You don't need to spend more for the upper level versions--they may be better, but the original is more than good enough for me, and I'm picky as HELL.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 26

I appreciate the help from everyone so far, and if anyone has anything to add based on this new wall of text, I’d take all the input I can get
biggrin.gif

About the HE-1000s--Obviously not a good fit if required to  be new.  That would be UNLESS you can find some new ones that are ~ half price.  I don't know if that's possible.  Also, given how awesome Zach's headphones are, I can hardly imagine anyone being disappointed with them.  And that's based on listening to his OLDER ones--the new ones may be even better.  One of the many great things about Zach is that he'll spend time getting an idea of your sonic preferences.  It's hard to imagine going wrong with ZMF headphones--ever.
  About the MZ2-S.  You don't need the MZ2-S, which is the more expensive version.  The MZ2 is the current entry level version, at $1200.  I have the original MicroZOTL 2 with its switching power supply.  It ROCKS.   I feel no urge to upgrade.
  I think I sent you a link to Zach's post about hearing the MicroZOTL 2 at a headphone meet in Chicago, but just in case, here's what he said:  Zach's comments  in post #24 from 8/10/15
  He and Linear Tube Audio hit it off so well that they did a collaborative project together.  The main points are 1) The MZ2 would be an awesome match with Zach's phones, and he even owns one so he can tell you personally how well any given one of his headphones match with the MicroZOTL 2; 2) You don't need to spend more for the upper level versions--they may be better, but the original is more than good enough for me, and I'm picky as HELL.

The HE-1000 is probably something I can consider in the future, if I can get past my thing with buying new products.

But I didn't know that there is a MZ2 as well as the MZ2-S. I think that I found a link to urbanhifi in the thread and assumed that was the only place where you can purchase it, and they only list the MZ2-S as far as I can see. So where would I be able to find the regular MZ2?

As for amp and DAC overall, not sure which direction I'll be going yet. I was/am interested in the Chord Hugo 2, but have started looking at stuff like Lake People's Reference Series, Benchmark DAC3 HGC and such. But if the regular MZ2 is still available somewhere, that is surely something I'd be interested to look at.

EDIT: Found the regular MZ2, thanks for the heads-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back