newbie rantin here
Mar 25, 2006 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

baxtermadux

New Head-Fier
well, i have to say, this is probably the most addicting reading i have ever done on the internet. in the past week, i have converted myself from a happy fool with his ipod earbuds, into a full blown geeked-out audiophilliac with a nasty case of upgraditis, and i really havent even begun my buying spree.
i got the idea that i needed noise cancelling headphones, cause i had used some on an airplane ride, and they worked good. now i live in hollywood, and i wanted somethign to help drown out the sespool of honking and muffler backfires. so i went to best buy to get some cans. rookie mistake number 1. and then after trying to discern which piece of crap was the best of all the crap they sell, i bought Phillips noise cancelling( shudders to think back to those dark dark days...only 2 days ago). they started cramping my skull after about 5 minutes. thats when i began my exploration for something to satisfy me, and thus here i am. (intrudeces myself to the imaginary crowd of fellow can addicts) Hi, my names such and such, and im addicted to headphones.
Then i went to a local sound shop and spent an hour getting to know the line of Grado's. Wow! i totally popped my aural cherry. i had no idea such things existed. so i got some sr60's, cause i wanna work my way up, and learn to appreciate what it is that i like about them.
anyhoo, nough bout that. just rantin. my first post here.
im really glad these forums exist, as the amazon.com reviews are all over the map and very disorganized.

i tried on some HD280's today and thought they clamped down a lot, maybe from the weight, or just a tight band. the AKG240's were much more relaxed on my head. can you wear the 240's a long time without fatigue?

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to head-fi! (As you know, sorry about your wallet.) I don't know much about the 240's, but have you considered IEMs? That would open you up to a whole lot of really nice options with good sound isolation.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 8
For extreme isolation the only way to go is an IEM. Active noise canceling is a joke in comparison. Sounds like you're really getting into it, so i would go to earphonesolutions.com and either get a pair of Shure E3C's or if you wanna jump straight in either; Shure E4Cs, Super.fi 5 pro, or Westone UM2 depending on your musical tastes and what you value in you're audio experiance.

Oh, and sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 8
I can wear my k240 S indefinitely, my ears get hot before listening fatigue sets in (and it hasen't yet). Such a comfortable pair of headphones.
340smile.gif
They don't isolate much more than my computer fan noise though.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Great first post Mr. Hollywood
tongue.gif

This site has cost me more than I'd like to admit...but loving every minute of it.

I have K240S and they are comfortable for long periods although not to the level of my DT-880.

As mentioned they will not block out much, for that I also recommend some nice IEMs . I use E4 Pro which while sounding great don't sound as good as my 880...for the same price.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 8
I'll only address two areas a) your interest in k240S: I believe the k240s are a bargain since you can find a pair of demos (if you relax and watch ebay) for $55-60 - they are the simply the best available IMO for dvd/movie watching and can be very satisfying for music in bassier sort of way. It is significantly better if you replace the standard earpads with Beyer dt770 velour earpads (aprox.$20) and Sennheiser H-73612 foam (@$0.64 - simply thinner more-porous foam than supplied by AKG) b) reduction in exterior noise. Portable use: I like an iteration of Senn. HD25 - more specifically HD25-BA, which is based on SP elements, but a resistor was added (per Concorde avionic requirements) bringing them to 300 ohms, which makes them brighter and better than SP, and a more agreeable can than the 70 ohm 25-1.....as long as you are ready and willing to tote an amp. for them (IMO best choice is Xin Supermini banded to your Nano). The 25-BA is found on eBay being sold new by Brits. for something in the range of $68 + s&h. All of the HD25 variations come with steel-cored cable, so you improve the sound with Senn. copper-cored cable (and velour earpads, if you want more comfort). Finally, for plane/train usage........take a try at IEM's eg. Etymotics er-6i, which are terrific in combination with the Xin Supermini amp you bought for your HD25 cans. Suggest you may want to use foamies with them for flights, and only real iem comfort comes with custom molds. Don't ever think you are simply buying an amp for more volume - that is not the reason........it is for very noticibly improved sound QUALITY (even better, make sure the amp you get has crossfeed switch - and use it).........later on you can think of the modded k340 for large-format music (symphony, opera etc) and/or Grado RS-1 for small-formats

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 8
i didnt know much about the HD-25's till here. i havent heard much mention of them before. so the HD-25ba is a special edition for the airlines? that has better cabling. ok. i am definaetley getting some k75's for portability and junking around, maybe the pxc100's too. then i will look into molded iem's. all the desirable ones are pricey so i will wait till my next bank robbery for those.
i definately like the AKG240's and will look into those earpads upgrades. im not sure i saw the difference in them and the senn hd280's. mayeb i will look at the HD595's too for reference listening since they dont require an amp. one day i will get into the whole amp craze, but i can already tell i have my hands full learning about the cans, and to add the amps to the mix might send me into the crazy house.

ohhh those akg601's look so comfy. are they more comfy than the 240's . how do they compare to the 595's? require an amp?

on another topic. i am looking for a place in town where i can try out some Stax. i dont know if there are any people selling them in the los angeles area. heck, id drive just abotu anywhere in so cal to try them. dang, we need to have a meet here.

its nice all my dope dealers just hopped on my first post and stuck the syringe in me and gave me my fix. haha

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Wow -- it's like you're on audio crack. You're right about the addictive reading. I happen to live in Southern California, too, and for those brutally hot Santa Ana Wind days, IEMs might be more comfortable than hot and vice-like headphones (although I really like the *idea* and sound of headphones, IEMs are so portably isolating and comfortably convenient). There are some good recommendations in the posts above.

I currently have Etymotics ER-6's and Shure E3C's (both really nice on airplanes), and use foamies on both. I also have several more "day-to-day, keep in a pocket in case I need them" canal phones (including the new Creatives).

Oh, and since we're talking about your new, um, habit -- have you listened to any of the budget-priced portable headphones from Koss? I'm very impressed with the sound-cost ratio in my new Koss PortaPro's ... what was that? Am I being cruel?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back