Newbie questions on DAC/Amp with iPhone and iMac.
Oct 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

foscoe944

New Head-Fier
I’ve been reading through a lot of posts here and have learned a lot. I’m hoping y’all don’t mind if I ask a few newbie questions to see if I’m on the right track.

I’m using mostly my iPhone 4s (but sometimes my iMac) to listen to AAC files recorded at 128 bit rate, but also have a few favorites on my phone recorded with ALAC. For headphones I have some good ole Sony MDR-V6’s (64 ohm), Spider Realvoice IEM’s (18 ohm), and Bose IE2’s. I listen to a wide variety of music. Sometimes I like the music pretty loud, so I would like to have a bit more volume. I also wonder if overall sound quality could be improved.

Would a portable DAC/Amp make a noticeable difference?

And if so, I’m looking at things like FiiO E11, E10 and E17, but I’m a little confused. Can I use the DAC on the FiiO with my iPhone or can I only use line out audio with an amp? Does a DAC in this price range improve sound quality vs. the built in one in an iPhone or iMac? If not, will an amp only like E11 help?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 4
I got an XM6 which is expensive but it sounds awesome with my ipod touch.  i do not think you can use the usb dac with the iphone but you can with the imac.  even using the line out of the phone it sounds much better.  i would say if the phone is all you want it for find one without the dac, XM5? or i am sure there are other good sounding ones for less.  the xm6 is a bit bulky to carry around.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I’ve been reading through a lot of posts here and have learned a lot. I’m hoping y’all don’t mind if I ask a few newbie questions to see if I’m on the right track.

I’m using mostly my iPhone 4s (but sometimes my iMac) to listen to AAC files recorded at 128 bit rate, but also have a few favorites on my phone recorded with ALAC. For headphones I have some good ole Sony MDR-V6’s (64 ohm), Spider Realvoice IEM’s (18 ohm), and Bose IE2’s. I listen to a wide variety of music. Sometimes I like the music pretty loud, so I would like to have a bit more volume. I also wonder if overall sound quality could be improved.

Would a portable DAC/Amp make a noticeable difference?

And if so, I’m looking at things like FiiO E11, E10 and E17, but I’m a little confused. Can I use the DAC on the FiiO with my iPhone or can I only use line out audio with an amp? Does a DAC in this price range improve sound quality vs. the built in one in an iPhone or iMac? If not, will an amp only like E11 help?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Skipp trying to use an add-on DAC with portable Apple devices (like iPod & iPhone).
The cheapest add-on DAC for portable apple products is the HRT iStreamer, $155, and it not really a portable (on the move) DAC.
So get the Fiio E11, with an LOD to 3.5mm cable, the LOD cable bypasses the iPod's & iPhone's headphone amplifier, providing a slightly cleaner analog audio signal.
With Mac computers and Macbooks, it's easy to add an external DAC, using USB and optical connections, using Fiio E7, E10, E17.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Ok, I'll go with E11 for the moment for price and portability. XM4 is the one without a DAC and it's more than twice the price of E11. I'm sure it does sound better, but I might be better off to save the $$ for now and think about where I'm going overall with my audio stuff. 

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back