Newbie Question - SuperMacro Amp
Dec 31, 2009 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TreeTribe

New Head-Fier
Hola,

I was recently given an "oldish" SuperMacro headphone amp by a friend. Now, I have no idea which model this is, and I couldn't find too much info either on Xin Feng Company

Basically, I wanted to know the specifications of this amp. I've attached a few pics. If anyone can help me with this, would be much appreciated. Another question, are these amps mainly to be used with iPods, etc or can I also use it with my laptop + headphones ? I mean would I be able to hear a difference ?

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 22
This seems to be the first generation of SuperMacro (and there are quite a few generation), but it is hard to tell unless you open it up and show people the PCB.

If you want to hear a more noticeable improvement on your iPod, then you should use it with a line-out dock. You can also use it on any device that has an regular audio output (preferably line-out). As of whether you will get SQ improvement or not, it really depends on how good the source is, how much your headphone can benefit from amping and the synergy of the whole system.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 22
Looks like the first iteration of xin's supermacro amps...he was up to IV before he stopped shipping them. It is a little bit of a collectors item there, and a good little amplifier!

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 22
yes provided thats in good nick that could be worth a bit of money. clieos pretty much covered your questions there. I dont really have anything to add. people like jamato8 will be able to tell you which version it is for sure if you post pics of the internals.

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks guys for the replies... Still doesn't really answer my original question, which wasn't clear to begin with I guess. What I was specifically looking for was the output wattage as compared to the output wattage from my laptop. If my laptops headphone jack output exceeds the amps, then, I'm guessing it would do me no good (SQ wise) to use with my laptop and therefore the amp would be quite useless for me. I use ATH-M50 headphones.

The amp is in A+ condition. No, I don't really want to try opening it up, as I last did that to my PS3 (suffering from the infamous YLOD problem) which turned into an Enron sized paperweight once I put it all back together.

Only drawback on this far as I can see is that it uses EIGHT batteries !! Then again, I'm a newbie so maybe all portable amps do, but I'd think re-chargable li-ions would be a better option.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 22
I believe this should be the first or second generation by the looks of the casing. Try opening it up. Dr Xin build it like a tank so it would not spoil so easily. No worries!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 22
whats stopping you from using rechargable Lions? thats what most people use. Without knowing what is inside (which version) and what opamps and buffers have been utilized, it is impossible for us to tell you what you what the output is. We also need to know what you plan on driving with the amp, output power varies depending on the load. there is no chance your laptop has more output power and that most certainly isnt the end of the benefits of a headphone amp. in fact that is only the beginning, quality of sound is paramount not the loudness.

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 22
to add, you should get a DAC (digital audio converter) to run from your laptop to the amp...just running the HP (headphone) out to the amp will work, it will give you greater extension to power more challenging phones but will not improve the sound...with the HP amps, they are only as good as the source, which is why a LOD was recommended for use with your iPod.

OPEN THAT BABY UP AND TAKE SOME PICS

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 22
errrmm we need to be able to see

slide the PCB ourt otherwise you could be packing nuts and bolts in there and I couldnt tell

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 22
Okay, here are the pics of the board:

img00022201001031331.jpg

img00023201001031331.jpg

img00024201001031332.jpg

I must say, SQ is quite noticeably better using the amp with my laptop...
o2smile.gif

Another question: The switch on the amp has three positions.. Fill in the blanks:

Position 3: _______ (Blue LED is On)
Position 2: _______ (Blue LED is On)
Position 1: Off (Blue LED is Off)

Whats the difference between Position 2 and 3 ?

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 22
2 will go off after an hour or so, automatic shut off. In position 3 it will stay on all the time. Xin got rid of the large caps so you have an early version of the SM.

I remember being at Xin's and we were in his room where he did all his work. Rather a bit of a mess but his wife smiled and said, "well all I have to do is close the door and it's gone". Xin takes his work very serious and always wanted people to just be able to enjoy good music.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 22
I was hoping yo would see this thread and reply Jon, OP listen to ^^ this man, he knows the XIN amps better than most

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 22
Here is an image of Xin when we were talking about the Reference amp when he was working on some different versions. My Monica II dac is in the lower right in the Altoid tin. Xin got a kick out of it. I feel bad Xin isn't around doing his amps and I feel bad for the people expecting to get an amp. He actually does have a PhD in rocket science from China.

79318505.zSR0CuCr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back