newbie question: HD600 vs HD650: advice please?
Feb 9, 2004 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
I am a newbie and was hoping you could help me start off on this hobby. I am trying to decide between the HD600 and HD 650.

I am trying to decide which of these (Senn HD600 vs 650) to buy. Overall, based on the reviews here, these seem to match my tastes better which is for neutral to slightly laid back sound with good detail and NO bass hump (I hate humps. They hurt my ear... though I do like clean bass going deep).

I have not yet bought a amp. to go for this yet, but wanted to get the correct headphone first.

I will probably use a SACD player from Sony to drive these ....

Thank you in advance for your input!

Amit

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 7
The HD600 is a great headphone but if you're going to go for the gusto and listen a lot, I think it's worth the upgrade to the HD650, particularly if you like bass. Even though it's more expensive, if you listen to it enough hours the price difference doesn't matter and the 650 is the superior headphone. (Assuming you have enough left over to buy a good amp). What is your total budget?

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the quick response.

The budget for amp is anywhere from USD 300 for the amp to USD 1000 or so... more if necessary. I am selling my bedroom system that cost me 2500 so I should have some money for this.

I AM thinking of buying a Stealth actually for the amp

Does the bass of HD650 do deep or there is a deliberate 'hump' at a certain frequency to give it the appearance of going deep? I do not like any artificial humps and have walked away from speakers in the past for the same reason.....

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Definitely consider a nice source too. I just sold my cdp and have been using a portable to listen to music. Even being fed to a ppa, I still hear the trademark sennheiser "veil" that I never heard before. Very demanding headphones.

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I upgraded from the hd600 to the 650 and I couldn't be happier. The bass response is *excellent*. I think you'll be very happy with the 650 and find them to be a worthy upgrade.

Feb 9, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 7
I'll add in here too that the price difference between the 600 and the 650 is worth the cost several times over. If you are going to get a tube amp you should consider the Singlepower amps. People are getting very good results with there entire line with the 650's. From the 450.00 dollar PPX3 up to the SDS or Meastro, you will get a good amp that will not only shine with the Senns but any other phones you might put with them.
The 650's are very comfortable in mega buck systems. These headphones are special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back