Newbie Q - Best portable amp for ETY4S?
Aug 4, 2002 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jayzen

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! Great set of forums going here!

I'm interested in purchasing a SlimX along with a set of earphones. I'm not too keen in headphones for this CD/MP3 player becoz' I want everything to be as light and portable as possible. After reading plenty of reviews, I decided to go for the ETY4S.

Also, I noticed that a headphone amp is a necessity in most cases. So, many ppl recommended the Total Head Amp. But, after reading the so many posts, I found some ppl saying that it isn't as powerful amp to drive such an expensive pair of earphones.

So, should I go for a 9V version instead, or is the Porta Corda better? I'm only listing this 2 becoz' the rest are out of my budget (and maybe not as portable/small?). How about the META 42 that I've been reading about.... is there a link to it? Is it better?

I'm just a student living on a budget, but at the same time would like to experience quality music on the go.

Aug 4, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jayzen

I'm interested in purchasing a SlimX along with a set of earphones. I'm not too keen in headphones for this CD/MP3 player becoz' I want everything to be as light and portable as possible. After reading plenty of reviews, I decided to go for the ETY4S.

Also, I noticed that a headphone amp is a necessity in most cases. So, many ppl recommended the Total Head Amp. But, after reading the so many posts, I found some ppl saying that it isn't as powerful amp to drive such an expensive pair of earphones.

So, should I go for a 9V version instead, or is the Porta Corda better? I'm only listing this 2 becoz' the rest are out of my budget (and maybe not as portable/small?). How about the META 42 that I've been reading about.... is there a link to it? Is it better?

I'm just a student living on a budget, but at the same time would like to experience quality music on the go.

Hi jayzen,

I'm using the SlimX with a Total AirHead (older 3.0 volt) and the Ety 4P's and it's working well for me. You can always buy the Ety 4P>4S adapter cable.

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jayzen

I've got Ety 4Ps and am in the process of having JMT build me a META42. It should, from what I've read, sound better than the TAH or the Porta Corda. Do a search for META42 and you'll find a lot of info. It's a bit bigger than the others, though (smallest it can be built is 5" x 3" x 1").

Aug 4, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

I've got Ety 4Ps and am in the process of having JMT build me a META42. It should, from what I've read, sound better than the TAH or the Porta Corda.

Well, to my ears at least, my JMT-built META42 sounds much better than the TAH I have. For that matter, any of my JMT-built CHA47s sound better as well. They all provide a more detailed, transparent sound with the ETYs than does the TAH. I haven't heard the Porta Corda, so I can't comment on where it stands sonically with regards to the aforementioned amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Well, to my ears at least, my JMT-built META42 sounds much better than the TAH I have. For that matter, any of my JMT-built CHA47s sound better as well. They all provide a more detailed, transparent sound with the ETYs than does the TAH. I haven't heard the Porta Corda, so I can't comment on where it stands sonically with regards to the aforementioned amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I couldn't comment on the META42 as I haven't heard one yet, but I have contacted JMT regarding building one for me. I've heard so much positive about them, especially vs. the AH/TAH's.

And Joe, your avatar is the stuff of nightmares, as least mine anyway
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(Just kidding !)

Aug 5, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

smily_headphones1.gif

Right on the money. I have the JMT-built META42 and CHA47, and up until today I had the (slightly older) Total AirHead. Both the META42 and the CHA47 win hands-down. Both are more alive, detailed, and transparent than the TAH. I've used all three with the Ety 4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back