Newbie Q - Best portable amp for ETY4S?
post-164931
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 9

jayzen

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
Malaysia
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Location
Malaysia
Posts
35
Likes
0
Hey everyone! Great set of forums going here!

I'm interested in purchasing a SlimX along with a set of earphones. I'm not too keen in headphones for this CD/MP3 player becoz' I want everything to be as light and portable as possible. After reading plenty of reviews, I decided to go for the ETY4S.

Also, I noticed that a headphone amp is a necessity in most cases. So, many ppl recommended the Total Head Amp. But, after reading the so many posts, I found some ppl saying that it isn't as powerful amp to drive such an expensive pair of earphones.

So, should I go for a 9V version instead, or is the Porta Corda better? I'm only listing this 2 becoz' the rest are out of my budget (and maybe not as portable/small?). How about the META 42 that I've been reading about.... is there a link to it? Is it better?

I'm just a student living on a budget, but at the same time would like to experience quality music on the go.
 
     Share This Post       
post-164936
Post #2 of 9

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Messages
626
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Posts
626
Likes
10
     Share This Post       
post-164962
Post #3 of 9

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,168
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally posted by jayzen
Hey everyone! Great set of forums going here!

I'm interested in purchasing a SlimX along with a set of earphones. I'm not too keen in headphones for this CD/MP3 player becoz' I want everything to be as light and portable as possible. After reading plenty of reviews, I decided to go for the ETY4S.

Also, I noticed that a headphone amp is a necessity in most cases. So, many ppl recommended the Total Head Amp. But, after reading the so many posts, I found some ppl saying that it isn't as powerful amp to drive such an expensive pair of earphones.

So, should I go for a 9V version instead, or is the Porta Corda better? I'm only listing this 2 becoz' the rest are out of my budget (and maybe not as portable/small?). How about the META 42 that I've been reading about.... is there a link to it? Is it better?

I'm just a student living on a budget, but at the same time would like to experience quality music on the go.


Hi jayzen,

I'm using the SlimX with a Total AirHead (older 3.0 volt) and the Ety 4P's and it's working well for me. You can always buy the Ety 4P>4S adapter cable.
 
     Share This Post       
post-165103
Post #4 of 9

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 14, 2002
Messages
289
Reaction score
0
Joined
May 14, 2002
Posts
289
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally posted by jayzen
Hey everyone! Great set of forums going here!

I'm interested in purchasing a SlimX along with a set of earphones. I'm not too keen in headphones for this CD/MP3 player becoz' I want everything to be as light and portable as possible. After reading plenty of reviews, I decided to go for the ETY4S.

Also, I noticed that a headphone amp is a necessity in most cases. So, many ppl recommended the Total Head Amp. But, after reading the so many posts, I found some ppl saying that it isn't as powerful amp to drive such an expensive pair of earphones.

So, should I go for a 9V version instead, or is the Porta Corda better? I'm only listing this 2 becoz' the rest are out of my budget (and maybe not as portable/small?). How about the META 42 that I've been reading about.... is there a link to it? Is it better?

I'm just a student living on a budget, but at the same time would like to experience quality music on the go.


I've got Ety 4Ps and am in the process of having JMT build me a META42. It should, from what I've read, sound better than the TAH or the Porta Corda. Do a search for META42 and you'll find a lot of info. It's a bit bigger than the others, though (smallest it can be built is 5" x 3" x 1").
 
     Share This Post       
post-165122
Post #5 of 9

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Moderator
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
4,649
Likes
13
Quote:

I've got Ety 4Ps and am in the process of having JMT build me a META42. It should, from what I've read, sound better than the TAH or the Porta Corda.


Well, to my ears at least, my JMT-built META42 sounds much better than the TAH I have. For that matter, any of my JMT-built CHA47s sound better as well. They all provide a more detailed, transparent sound with the ETYs than does the TAH. I haven't heard the Porta Corda, so I can't comment on where it stands sonically with regards to the aforementioned amps.
 
     Share This Post       
post-165129
Post #6 of 9

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,168
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Well, to my ears at least, my JMT-built META42 sounds much better than the TAH I have. For that matter, any of my JMT-built CHA47s sound better as well. They all provide a more detailed, transparent sound with the ETYs than does the TAH. I haven't heard the Porta Corda, so I can't comment on where it stands sonically with regards to the aforementioned amps.


I couldn't comment on the META42 as I haven't heard one yet, but I have contacted JMT regarding building one for me. I've heard so much positive about them, especially vs. the AH/TAH's.

And Joe, your avatar is the stuff of nightmares, as least mine anyway
(Just kidding !)
 
     Share This Post       
post-165158
Post #7 of 9

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Moderator
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
4,649
Likes
13
Quote:

And Joe, your avatar is the stuff of nightmares, as least mine anyway


And my wife's as well!
 
     Share This Post       
post-165159
Post #8 of 9

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Posts
2,168
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

And my wife's as well!


LOL
I bet !
 
     Share This Post       
post-165176
Post #9 of 9

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
Joined
Jan 30, 2002
Messages
1,669
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 30, 2002
Posts
1,669
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Well, to my ears at least, my JMT-built META42 sounds much better than the TAH I have. For that matter, any of my JMT-built CHA47s sound better as well. They all provide a more detailed, transparent sound with the ETYs than does the TAH. I haven't heard the Porta Corda, so I can't comment on where it stands sonically with regards to the aforementioned amps.


Right on the money. I have the JMT-built META42 and CHA47, and up until today I had the (slightly older) Total AirHead. Both the META42 and the CHA47 win hands-down. Both are more alive, detailed, and transparent than the TAH. I've used all three with the Ety 4s.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top