Newbie needs Sound Advice. (urgent)
Sep 8, 2003 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iGig

500+ Head-Fier
Im using the PX200s for my portable, and I need a good set of cans for home use. (Onkyo system, computer and keyboards)
I had been considering the HD497 and SR80.
I listen to many types music, mostly hard rock, techno and classical.
Clean guitars are a must, but I need lots of bass, since my rock is fairly groovy and funky.

I have a chance to get the SR225 for a good price TODAY, Im sure they will sound awesome in my home system.
My question is: If I want to use the 225s at home on my iPod, will they sound good? NO AMP.
Other than the 1/4-1/8 adapter, is there a downside to getting this phone in my case? or should I stick to the SR80, HD497 original idea? I dont want to go overboard, but if they're definetely better and I can afford them, why not?
Also, Im a petite female, how big are the grados? I care about confort and sound, not looks.
Any help is welcome since Im very newbie. please advice.

Sep 8, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 10
You will like the SR-225's for rock from what I've heard. I don't think they're AWESOME on comfort, but they're wearable for long periods of time. They will work unamped, but you might be better off with one of those mint amps.

Sep 8, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks MD
Ill give em a shot.
.... unless somebody advices otherwise???
going once...
twice....

Sep 8, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 10
NO! Don't take my word for it! I'm a newb as far as hi-fi goes. I've never owned Grado's so my opinion is void. I'm merely suggesting that based on time spent here and lots and lots of read reviews (check out goodcans.com).

Sep 8, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Even upamped the 225's sound better than the 80's off the iPod. Amped even better (and off better sources). The 225's are a great all around set of cans. Comfort is an issue for some, though. Get the Senn or vwap pads (and for their sonic benefit). For size you shouldn't have to worry about much (except maybe the cord length, etc.). They're really not portable phones, but work well in transportable situations.

Sep 8, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Ok thank you blessingsx and MD. Im no expert either MD, like you, Im basing this decision on the endless amont of threads Ive been reading. I saw so many people saying it was a good price on the 225s I think I'm getting lucky, since I found these forums just last week.
I may eventually get an amp a$ $oon a$ I can.
Blessingsx, thanks for the tip on the pads, and the long cord is actually a plus for me.
I just ordered them and I'm so excited!!
280smile.gif
Ima jump on the FedEx guy.
Gigi.

Sep 9, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I agree with blessingx, get the vwap pads. I just got some 225's and I was very surprised at the sonic difference the pads made over the stock bowl pads (I think the differences in sound may be highly dependant the shape and size of the individual's ear, however). With those two sets of pads to choose from, it's kinda like having 2 sets of headphones. I can see how many might prefer the larger soundstage of the bowl pads, but for me the vwap pads rule - sweet, sweet bass and impact for rock/j-pop. Also, remember to burn in your headphones (run them at slightly above normal listening volume for around 40 hours) before final judgement. Congrats, they are great cans!

And remember, it's (sorta) ok to blow all your money on headphones/source/amps since most of that stuff has good resale value in the for-sale forum if the need arises
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike U.

Sep 9, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 10
blessingx pimping the 225s
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry about upgrading anymore unless you have some seriously more $ to upgrade source and amp. These are good headphones. Enjoy them.

Sep 9, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
blessingx pimping the 225s
biggrin.gif

Especially when they're at discount prices!
tongue.gif

Keep the love alive! Viva le Grado!

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 10
I will get the vwap pads like you guys recommend. I'm curious to hear the difference after burning em in.
My px200 do sound way better now than when I first got em, at first I thought I was just getting used to em, until I read about all this in this forum, haha it all makes sense now.

Now I gotta start doing research on amps, such a big world to explore. Im also thinking of building a rack above my keyboards to display all my phones. This trek is not over.
I wont go to 325s, they could be too critical for my stuff, but maybe I get some other brand to complement these.
-I have some other ones that qualify in the "worst headphone you ever heard" thread.
eek.gif

Thanks guys for your posts, I sure feel better about the whole thing, specially since im doing this blindly (deafly?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back