Newbie Needs Some advice on Cans & Amp!
May 30, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 23
Both my brother and friend listen to a lot of trance, and both of them gravitated heavily towards my 701s the other day when listening to them on their stuff (PVD, Sasha, etc.). They have more punch than the DT880s but have a lot of detail and instrument separation, as well as good clarity up high. For me, and apparently them, they also have a great deal of atmosphere and sort of 'surrounding you' feel while listening to trance.

So, you might want to try those as well. I know people will have different preferences, though, on what they use for this type of music. I, however, was quite pleased with their performance. My brother seems to think the K701's *strong* suit is its performance on trance.

That said, open cans are not well suited for travel. Everyone can hear what you're listening to, and you won't get a lot of isolation. I'd probably look into closed cans if I were you. I was _very_ pleased by the CD3000s as far as closed cans go, but those are indeed rather pricey on the used market. My friend's CD1700s were also quite nice. I haven't tried the Audio Technica line on trance to know what they're like on that.

Jun 1, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
i got my new X-FI soundcard today and my LTD is runing decently without an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Better amp. will make it better. My SB live 24-bit with new updated driver is amazing with LTD's when paired with Zhaolu D2 amp. and it's lot better then Revolution 7.1 in same manner.

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LouLanooch
Anyone? (ref my question above...) For example they say the BT 880s are semi-closed. How much can you hear out of them.

It's hard to quantify but they're for all intents and purposes open and certainly no substitue for a closed heaphone. The "semi-closed" label is meaningless as far as I'm concerned.
How much you can hear depends on how loud you listen and how loud the environnement is.

Jun 1, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
It's hard to quantify but they're for all intents and purposes open and certainly no substitue for a closed heaphone. The "semi-closed" label is meaningless as far as I'm concerned.
How much you can hear depends on how loud you listen and how loud the environnement is.

Agree. Personally, I've been a little shocked how much my family hears with HD580's. Considering that there are grilles on the 580's, I would've thought they would be much more irritated at my KSC75's - but they never seem to hear those. They can cite chapter and verse of anything that I play through the Senn's. So, for what it's worth, you may consider that big, open cans = big, open sound ... to everyone else.

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #22 of 23
So based on my music preference (see initial post), what are peoples thoughts on:

DT 770 80/250 (besides needing an amp for the 250, is there a sound difference?
DT 880 (2006)
DT 990 (2006)
AKG 701

I don't plan on listening to them too loud, but if you have open cans on an airplane will I get a lot of the ambient noise? Will the person next to me be giving me dirty looks because they don't feel like listening to trance? Basically should I trash the open and go for the closed cans all together? Thanks!

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Agree. Personally, I've been a little shocked how much my family hears with HD580's. Considering that there are grilles on the 580's, I would've thought they would be much more irritated at my KSC75's - but they never seem to hear those. They can cite chapter and verse of anything that I play through the Senn's. So, for what it's worth, you may consider that big, open cans = big, open sound ... to everyone else.

So it sounds like I should go the closed route with what you're saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back