Newbie Needs Some advice on Cans & Amp!
May 30, 2006 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

LouLanooch

New Head-Fier
Alright, I've already spent hours reading every applicable thread and reply so I figure it's time to jump in! I NEED HELP/ADVICE!

What I have: Creative Zen Vision M mp3 player and a laptop that I'm running a SB Audigy ZS notebook card on.

What music: Mostly trance (i.e. Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, Oakenfold, Tiesto) with a little bit of everything else thrown in.

What I'm looking for: Some mid-level cans (HD 650s are probably the high end price-wise) that can cover from the lows to the highs without sacrificing too much detail.

Bass: I'm not looking for overpowering bass, but I would really like them to have some punch with tightness but also be able to carry the deep bass when they drop the bottom out of a track (i.e. on the opening scene of Lord of the Rings during the battle when Sauron is killed and you hear the blast wave as it starts high and goes lower).

Highs: I would also like them to carry decent detail in the highs since most of the music I listen to covers such a wide range (but not too bright).

Type: I would also prefer them to be full sized to block out some outside noise because I'll be traveling with them, although portability is not one of my top concerns (but I want to be able to put them on in an airplane without needing to pay for an extra ticket).

I've been looking at the HD 650/595, DT 880/990 (both newer editions) /250 Ultrasone HF 600/700, Proline 650/750 If there is something out there that I haven't listed that I should consider, please let me know. I would also appreciate your take on any of these that you have experienced and what your pros/cons are for them...along with any applicable comparisons. I've seen the DT880s listed for $225 on ebay and the HD650s ~$300.

Amps: Obviously some of these will require an amp for my mp3 player, so that's the next arena. I know they're bottom level, but I'm just looking to get my foot in the door. I've seen CMOYs and the Mint META42s on ebay for relatively cheap, along with some other small amps that people are producing. I don't need crazy dB levels because my job is hearing-sensative and I want to be able to hear my grandkids one day, but from what I've seen I'll need one to go with my Zen Vision. Any advice/entry level knowledge would be appreciated as well.

So, I hope I've given you guys a good frame of reference to go with. I would like some decent headphones but I am somewhat limited on my budget so if buying a cable is necessary to appreciate the 650s then count them out. Any info and knowledge you can offer up is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

May 30, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 23
Try Audio Technica ATH-A900. Cost less than HD-650 and you really don't need an amp to sound great. Of course, using a dedicated headphone amp do improve the sound, but you can often use your soundcard, portable mp3 players directly with fairly good results.

May 30, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 23
Each cup is about the size of a large muffin.. though alittle flatter.

May 30, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 23
hmm, if I take my ATs on a road trip, I usually carry them in a gun case I got at walmart (and I'd imagine that doesn't go over well with folks at the airport.) If I'm going somewhere for only a week or so, I usually don't bother. They're bulky enough that I wouldn't imagine carrying them in anything but a dedicated container.

May 30, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 23
A pair of cans that fits most of your requirements other than sound isolation are the Alessandro MS2i for about $300, or the MS-1s at $99 for easier and lighter knock-about and easy traveling duties.

The Alessandros are more neutral and analytical than their "fun" and exciting Grado counterparts, so are often considered to be more suitable for a wider range of music.

In most applications other than totally-serious listening, both sets are efficient enough that they really don't need an amp. So the price of an amp can be factored out for the initial purchase.

And for airplane, computer, and portable use, the MS-1s can be ordered with the 1/8" plug as an option; a real convenience!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
A pair of cans that fits most of your requirements other than sound isolation are the Alessandro MS2i for about $300, or the MS-1s at $99 for easier and lighter knock-about and easy traveling duties.

The Alessandros are more neutral and analytical than their "fun" and exciting Grado counterparts, so are often considered to be more suitable for a wider range of music.

In most applications other than totally-serious listening, both sets are efficient enough that they really don't need an amp. So the price of an amp can be factored out for the initial purchase.

And for airplane, computer, and portable use, the MS-1s can be ordered with the 1/8" plug as an option; a real convenience!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a big grado fan, but IMO open cans are not what you want for airplanes. You need either closed cans or better yet, IEMs

May 30, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 23
Hm, difficult. Soundwise A900 or K240S, but that is too bulky.

The best portable blockers around are the Senn HD25-1, the AKG K81 or the AT ES7.

May 30, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LouLanooch
From what I've read it seems that the Audio Technica ATH-A900s are on the bulky side and not as easy to take on trips/carry around. Any truth to this?

DT880s and HD650s are bulky too
rolleyes.gif
they are also open air so wont be good for trips or public listening. those cans also need a good dedicated amp. i think you should go for a ATH-A900LTD they sound better then the normal A900 and fits the sound requirement quite well with tight punchy bass and wide range sound.

i got my new X-FI soundcard today and my LTD is runing decently without an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 23
Beyerdynamic DT531 plus Porta Corda II (amp).
The DT531 is no longer in production but I think there are a couple of listings for mint condition 531's on FS forum for 130.00 or thereabouts. You can pick up a PCII for 60-80.00 (probably). The amped 531's have been favorably compared with Senn 600 and Grado's. It seems that many place them in the happy medium between hd600 and grado line. Anyway...try a search on these - you might be surprised.

May 30, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 23
SONY MDR-V6's (or the newer version: 7506 - you get a gold plug, whoopeedo).

They aren't flashy like Senn's or Grado's and seem to be out of favor in the hot market of this forum. However, they are the predominant can in recording studios and the professional sound industry. They're closed, and fairly efficient with relatively low impedance, so small stuff can drive them OK. Some call them a tad bright, but I don't agree - they are known as one of the most un-colored cans around. The bass is sttrrronnnnnggg, but tight - not like the chain-store-monster V600 (bad).

Price is anywhere from $80 to $100. Frankly, I think they beat the pants off of other phones in that range. They will sound better with an amp, but pretty d*mn good without.

About amps, you said this -
Quote:

Originally Posted by LouLanooch
... snip ... I've seen CMOYs and the Mint META42s on ebay for relatively cheap, along with some other small amps that people are producing. I don't need crazy dB levels because my job is hearing-sensative and I want to be able to hear my grandkids one day, but from what I've seen I'll need one to go with my Zen Vision. Any advice/entry level knowledge would be appreciated as well. ... snip ...

This is a common misconception. No one buys or builds amps for the volume. (Well, maybe a motorcycle rider.) There are cases where certain high impedance phones such as Senn 580/600/650 will sound like the bottom of a well without good amplification, but when someone hooks them to an amp, it's not really just to make them louder.

What commonly happens in mass-market sound products - even good ones - is that the sound is full of little clips, smudges, and swishes. Many times, the effect is subtle, so when someone wants to describe something without these failings, you will hear remarks such as "transparent," "soundstage opened up", "sweet", etc. Or, you might hear someone say the music has good snap and pop. All of these mean that the particular power source and sound device (amp+ headphones in our case) result in NO transient and dynamic sound loss or control.

The result is an increase in the "size" of the music, because the distance, difference, or comparison between notes is distinct, clear and not muddied. In the case of speakers, for instance, the speakers in the store almost always sound better than at home - because they are almost always driven with massive amounts of $$power in the store. (Or, they put them in a small room, or try to sell speakers with a huge efficiency.) Regardless, all things being equal, an amp with massive amounts of relative power will sound better - not necessarily louder.

This ensures that every note - every transient - especially notes on the far ends of the sound spectrum - is reproduced with absolute faithfullness. This can happen because the amp is cruising instead of pushed, or because the amp has been specifically optimized to handle the total circuit that results with that particular speaker. Headphones have some peculiarities compared to speakers. Thus, we have special headphone amplifiers, but the analogy is essentially the same.

May 30, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for the clarification on the amps...I think that clears up some of my confusion. So if I'm understanding this correctly (and my rookie-ness is showing here), people in somewhat close proximity can hear what you're listening to with open cans...I guess I was thinking that you would be able to hear some of what the person was listening to, but it would be very minimal and muffled (which doesn't seem to be the case). Thanks for all the advice so far...I have some more research to do! Also, on a side note, I haven't heard much talk about Ultrasones. What seems to be take on these since they do have a couple sealed models in the Hi-Fi 600/700?

May 30, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
I'm a big grado fan, but IMO open cans are not what you want for airplanes. You need either closed cans or better yet, IEMs

Yah and for trance he might need a litttle heavier bass too.
basshead.gif
BTW I think DT880's sound like what you're looking for. Although they are kinda bulky, it's nothing compared to A900's I think. I saw a pic of A900's on top of a PS2 on here and they are even bigger than I had thought at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back