Newbie needs help getting more out of new DENON AH-D7000
Feb 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mantosof

New Head-Fier

Newbie here. 

I recently acquired a Denon AH-D7000 and don't really know how best to use them:

I have a Creative Zen Vision M...mostly with CD's ripped at 128k and a few downloaded files at various bitrates
(192, 256 ). The D7000 sounds better than the headphones i was using before (Grado 225i...too brash and uncomfortable). The D7000 bass is thick and heavy but i found myself enjoying the music despite this...and in some cases pleasantly blown away (like when i played female rock vocals or  Hotel California -Hell Freezes Over, or 21 Guns - Greenday).

Now i need help. I want to upgrade and i have no idea where to begin. I've been reading
posts in headfi for weeks and im way more confused now than before.

Lets say i spend $500 dollars. Where should it go?

I know i need better files, but the ZVM only supports MP3, WMA, and WAV files. I have been thinking of getting an itouch.
I also know i need some form of amp and/or DAC.

[size=10pt]1)i dont want tubes to deal with.[/size]
2) portable would be nice so i can bring setup to work if i want to.
3) single box amp/dac would also be nice.
4) would be nice if the amp/dac could also be connected to a full sized CD player ( i have a Marantz CD63MKII...but headphones sound like crap out of its headphone jack)

Please don't laugh...but im assuming you connect the MP3 player into a amp/dac with 3.5m to 3.5m or 2.5m wire? and then the headphone goes into the amp/dac with either one? 

Thanks for your patience. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 4
The Denon Dx000 line respond really well to proper amping.  Out of my Bithead they sound better than out of my iPod, but moving up to an amp that has lower output impedance and better controls the power to the headphones made an even better experience.

I think something like the Bithead or FiiO E10 would work great for you.  Both of those are DACs as well which may help improve your listening experience even more.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks so much for your quick reply:

I looked up the Fiio e10 and it costs around $85. Im willing to spend more if it translates into a better listening experience.
I like that the e10 is simple and small. Just wondering if others have had good experiences with this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back