Newbie needs advices. Closed circumaural headphones for psychedelic, rock and alternative.
Nov 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Alfonsomac

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
Guys i'm a noob and i need your advices. 
I sold my Sennheiser 598, because i realized i need a closed cans, maybe circumaural and with noise-cancelling. I would prefer a good isolation and i also would be glad if people around me wouldn't listen what my music (but that's not a primary feature; i mean, i may sacrifice it, for better sound quality).
However, as i already said in the object, i mainly listen psychedelic (Pink Floyd), rock (Stone Temple Pilots, Gun's n Roses), alternative (Coldplay, Linkin Park), metal (Metallica) and blues, blues rock like Dire Straits.
My budget is about 200-220 euros or 270-300 dollars.
Now, i saw a lot od cans and i really don't know what to buy.
Do not kill me, i also looked at Beats Studio. I don't know how they sound, but they are really beautiful and i could sell them very easily if i wouldn't be satisfied.
I've also fallen in love with Sony MDR-BX 1000 but these are really, really big. I could use them only when i stay at home.
But i read both Beats and BX 1000 are built for electronic music or house genres which are, very far from mine.
In addiction, i have to say i do not own an amp.

So what should i get? Please help me, i need good heaphones :)

Many thanks and sorry for my english :wink:

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 30

Denon 2000s
Quote:
Hi everyone.
Guys i'm a noob and i need your advices. 
I sold my Sennheiser 598, because i realized i need a closed cans, maybe circumaural and with noise-cancelling. I would prefer a good isolation and i also would be glad if people around me wouldn't listen what my music (but that's not a primary feature; i mean, i may sacrifice it, for better sound quality).
However, as i already said in the object, i mainly listen psychedelic (Pink Floyd), rock (Stone Temple Pilots, Gun's n Roses), alternative (Coldplay, Linkin Park), metal (Metallica) and blues, blues rock like Dire Straits.
My budget is about 200-220 euros or 270-300 dollars.
Now, i saw a lot od cans and i really don't know what to buy.
Do not kill me, i also looked at Beats Studio. I don't know how they sound, but they are really beautiful and i could sell them very easily if i wouldn't be satisfied.
I've also fallen in love with Sony MDR-BX 1000 but these are really, really big. I could use them only when i stay at home.
But i read both Beats and BX 1000 are built for electronic music or house genres which are, very far from mine.
In addiction, i have to say i do not own an amp.

So what should i get? Please help me, i need good heaphones :)

Many thanks and sorry for my english :wink:

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 30
the isolation of the stock denon d2000 is badddd....
but its one of my alltimefavorite can.

Surprisingly, i find myself liking the simple  ipod+bose AE-1 combo for street use..
they seem to synergize really well. If i read what i just wrote a month back i would think i am NUTs.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 30
As soon as i can i will look the M50. Their reviews look very interesting.
What about Soul SL300? Reviews also are great they are beautiful cans.
I know i shouldn't look the aestetichs but it's the only thing i can see. There're so many headphones and more i read more i became confused...

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 30
Seems like you need something with excellent mids. I would recommend the HD448 but they're not very durable, may be quite expensive in Italy and they have that trademark warm Sennheiser sound. Might want to consider them if you want a closed version of a HD5X5. HD25, TMA-1, DT1350 are some other headphones in that range... Lots of choices in that range tbh. Don't restrict yourself to the suggestions you get from this thread. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 30
See if you can audition a pair of SRH840s, I think they're great for the genres you listed.

Some people find them pretty uncomfortable though, so it's definitely worth trying them out first.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 30
Many thanks to all you guys.
I took a decision, probably the worst for you audiophiles.
I think i'm going to buy the Beats Studio (200 euros). I already know i'm going to do this because of their design, but i also know i can sell them very easily.
Many of good products, like Audio Technica, Denon, Grado, ecc are very hard to find in Italy.
For the moment, i'll try them, maybe i'll ask other advices in a few months...

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
See if you can audition a pair of SRH840s, I think they're great for the genres you listed.

Some people find them pretty uncomfortable though, so it's definitely worth trying them out first.

Sounds like the decision's made to the Beats
deadhorse.gif

I have to agree with 200poundsofamp that the SRH840s are also a great headphone - I found them really comfortable too.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
Sounds like the decision's made to the Beats
deadhorse.gif

I have to agree with 200poundsofamp that the SRH840s are also a great headphone - I found them really comfortable too.

How much are those beats anyways lol. I saved a friend from making a mistake and got him to get the Denon 2000s. He said he never expected the Denons to be that good but they completely surprised him and took his music experience to a whole other lever in comparison to those beats he was gonna buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back