Newbie needs advice!!
Nov 5, 2006 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BoostedCruiser

New Head-Fier
Hello -

Let me start out by saying that I am a complete newbie when it comes to high-end audio. I'm 20 years old and I have yet to experience true high end audio but I am a huge fan of music and some good audio equipment is long due. I need some help in choosing a good set of headphones and thats where you guys come in. These headphones would primarily be used inside my home on my computer but sometimes they would also be used with an Ipod Shuffle or maybe even my mini shelf stereo. On my computer they would be used with music, games, and DVDs. My favorite genre of music is Hard Rock/Metal such as Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, AC/DC, Van Halen, etc nothing too extreme. I also listen to Electronica on occassion such as Prodigy as well as Country music such as Garth Brooks or Trace Adkins. For games I mainly play World Of Warcraft and the occasional first person shooter. As for movies I watch action movies and live concerts. My computer has a Creative Audigy 2 sound card. The only other considerations would be that I wear glasses. I would prefer to not have earbuds because I find them to be uncomfortable. I do need to use a Mic with my computer because I use voice recognition from time to time but I will most likely get a stand alone desktop mic or a clip on mic. Unless there is a headset out their that will do everything I want, that is my plan above. My budget is around $100 with an absolute max of $150. What do you reccomend??

By the way, here is what I have had for a few years now just so you see how much im missing out on! Its a Plantronics Audio .90....

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...032/prod440020

Thanks
Chris

Nov 5, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 19
Personally I don't think you need anything high end; it seems you will use your headphones for casual activities. Someone has suggested to me that the AKG K26P are quite good. However they look quite fragile, and might not handle any abuse quite well. I personally use DJ headphones because they are rugged and can withstand almost any kind of abuse I throw at. So my advice would be the AKG. Actually here's a website that might help you in your decision:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ll-headphones/

Good luck!!

Nov 5, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 19
I dont mean high end as in a $700 dollar pair of RS-1's, I mean something that is going to sound excellent for what I need. I am a big music fan and I want to listen to music the way it was meant to be listened to and enjoyed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 19
I would prefer to get 1 set of headphones to use for everything just because it would be a pain in the butt to swap out headphones constantly. I know there will be some sacrifices made if I have one set of headphones for everything but thats ok with me. If something is excellent for music but only so-so for games/movies then thats ok.

Nov 6, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 19
One of the best all-rounder headphones is the Sennheiser HD-580 that you can find for $139. Should fit your musical tastes fine and they're great for movies.

Nov 6, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
One of the best all-rounder headphones is the Sennheiser HD-580 that you can find for $139. Should fit your musical tastes fine and they're great for movies.

Problem with the HD-580 is that it needs an amp IIRC.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 19
IMHO the 580s really do need an amp. While the MS-1 is good for certain types of music, it will fail when it comes to movies.
I'd go with the HD-555s even over the 580s w/amp. The mids are just more pronounced which makes them good for all type of music and wonderful when it comes to movies.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 19
Well I have the 595(the big brother to the 555) and 580...they're both fine phones, but the 595 has the edge for rock and computer games (on your typical setup....as I add money to my setup, the 580s are really opening up for rock). Would suppose the 555s are similar to the 595s

Nov 6, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #13 of 19
If you don't need isolation and if comfort is an issue, the 555's are widely thought to be very comfortable ... and a way station on the road to Head-Fi-induced financial ruin.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you want something fun and less expensive while you save up for something higher up the performance scale and that will cost you more, the Sennheiser PX 100's should work quite well for your needs. They're quite light, comfortable and portable, but so far I've just used them around the house (as they don't isolate). They don't sound like light headphones that rest lightly on the outside of the ears ... surprising bass from them. Under $50 some places online.

Nov 6, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 19
Senn 555s don't get too much love on Head-fi, but I loved them when I had them. They're comfortable, don't require amplification, and had a lovely tone, if at slightly at the expense of details. I gave them away as a gift, and I miss them quite a bit. But I wonder if they're aggressive enough to accommodate your music -- the 580s certainly aren't.

I think you'd really like Grados. You can probably find a used 225 at the upper end of your budget.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 19
Well after doing some more thinking on the subject, I think I would get the most use out of a closed circumaural headphone. I came to that conclusion because my house is really not too quiet especially because most of my house is tile and my sisters room is directly across the hall from my room and she likes to play her stereo with some music I would prefer to not listen to. I've also decided that these phones will be used for strictly games/music. So based on that what would you reccomend? I may consider an amp if need be. Would something like the HD280 work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back