Newbie Needs Advice $60-$120
Jan 20, 2009 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Inquisitor

New Head-Fier
Alright, hey everyone, I'm the new guy here. You can read my Introduction a few posts below this (New Member Introduction). I don't want to cross-thread link because I'm not sure of all the etiquette on these forums yet.

Note: Before I get started, let me just say, that when I listen to music. I listen LOUD. I'm talking typically at full volume on portables and 90% or higher on my laptop.

What I'm looking for is a headphone that:
-Encompasses the whole ear (sorry Grado SR-60/80)
-Good comfort for long listening durations
-Has a low enough impedance (or I should say, loud enough for my taste on a portable)
-Good fidelity maintained at high volume across the range without distorting
-I would prefer a closed phone (so I don't bother others with my volume) but it seems that open phones have better sound potential (as i'm gathering from reading on this site) so its not a big issue.
-Unfortunately right now the highest I'd be willing to spend is around $120 So I'm looking for an entry-level audiophile's phone. Something that will astound me when compared to my previous phones, and whet my appetite for the higher quality
-Has to work well on a portable without an amp. I foresee myself getting a portable amp at some point, but I don't have the cash right now.
-My music tastes span the range:
Metalis my base. I listen to it more than than any other music type.
Electronic/Trance/Industrial is probably my second most listened to genre. It is here that having both clearly defined mids and highs need to be backed by tight intense bass. (Bass is very important to me, but not loose sloppy bass, dynamic and fulfilling bass). You can't hear good Massive Attack sound without both.
Rap/Hip-Hop This is where the need for good bass shows through most clearly in my tastes
Miscellaneous A variety of classical (and classically inspired rock), and a few other things I happen across.

Hopefully I've given you guys enough to work with. Keep in mind I've looked through the list that has the best phones organized in price ranges based on IEM, Open, and Closed... So going from that list I've found a few that caught my eye. So I'll post what I'm currently looking at. If you could give me an idea/opinion of which phones you think would best suit me (on my short list or not) I'd really appreciate it.
atsmile.gif

Sennheiser HD 485
These seem to fit my criteria pretty well and as of right now are on the top of my list, despite being open.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
These are second on my list, mostly because I think that being closed (and looking at the frequency response on
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
When compared to the 485's their bass seems lacking. Which I think is also noted in the sticky post list.

Sennheiser HD 515 Headphones
These seem to have a strange layout on the head, and aren't sold on headphone.com so I'm not completely sure whether I'd like them without trying them.

Audio Technica ad500/Audio Technica a500

I'm sure there are others that you guys can recommend as well. So please, given my specifications. What does your expert opinion recommend.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Feel free to add me on AIM or MSN messengers. I'll be out for an hour or so but I'd love to discuss the ins and outs of each choice.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 12
I've never tried my A500s with rap, but they sound great with electronic. It's the only genre I use them with. I'd recommend the K271s, because I got them for $60 and sound "good enough" unamped, no doubt that a dap can provide enough volume, they sound amazing with metal, industrial, jazz and classical, but as I said, I tend to go for my A500s for electronic/trance. While I think my K271s are very bassy, they don't have enough extension for a lot of electronic/trance. They are both circumaural, and very comfy (my K271s came with velour pads, not the sticky, uncomfortable pleather).

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 12
It's too bad you need circumaural, the SR80's sound fantastic with your genres. I agree though that comfort is pretty important.

I don't know of any headphone in your price range that can match the Grado sound even close. I think you would be dissapointed with the HD485 and HD280. You might take a look at the Beyerdynamic 770 80ohm. There are a couple pairs of them on Beyer's eBay store that are used but in good condition for $99. These are $250 new. I would do some research on what others think of them for your genres. I'm not very familiar with them.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 12
According to a few threads I skimmed briefly the DT770 Pro 80 has good quantity of bass (too much for one poster) and is generally a good all around performer. I haven't heard them myself, but they sound interesting, and they are closed so you don't have to worry about sound leakage.

Also the 80ohm rating will allow you to use it with a portable or laptop without an amp, of course adding an amp will improve the sound, but until you get one you should have good sound. There are other versions of the DT770 that have much higher impedance (250ohm) that wouldn't work so well without an amp, so be careful which model you get if you decide to go with this headphone.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 12
I'll be honest, beyerdynamic was one of the first sites I went to when I was checking out the headphones on the "Headphone Buyers Guide" post... and when I was using Manufaktur to customize a pair of of DT-770s I almost busted a nut. So I think I'm pretty set on that link you sent me for a used pair off ebay. But I'm worried about them being used.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Well I think I've decided. After reading through a ton of different threads on a whole variety of phones, I think the Beyer 770-80's are perfect for my wants (and needs
beyersmile.png
) Plus with the $99 ebay they fit perfectly into my price range. Not to mention it sounds like they have ton of mod potential (holy ---- a week ago I'd only heard of one guy who modded his headphones, over in Iraq)

So thanks a TON for the link to their ebay site and the advice. Looks like I'll be popping my cherry with the beyers. I'll put in the order tomorrow morning when I can get some money swapped around in my bank accounts.

Next step: Amp
After that: DarthBeyers?
darthsmile.gif

haha, you guys seem like a good crowd. I'm looking forward to this adventure.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Good luck, hope it works out well for you.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Jan 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erm, loud is bad. Don't listen to your headphones loud. Very, very bad.

Yes. There is no point having good headphones if your ears are broken >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back