newbie needs a dac
Jan 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
My first serious post, and it’s a doozie. Sorry for the length, and sorry if i've posted in the wrong spot.

I’ve been lurking around the forum since before Christmas, and have reaped a lot of great info, not to mention endless entertainment.
Thanks to you guys, I started my headphone adventure out with a nice work rig.
iPod >> ALO Bling Bling Dock >> iBasso D4 Mamba >> Sennheiser HD595

And boy am I pleased!!
o2smile.gif

So my next step, taken just a few days ago, was the beginnings of a nice home rig - the K702. And I love them!!!

However, when listening to them, I can tell immediately that something like the D4 won’t quite have what it takes to push them. So, I’ve slowly become aware that my home rig will have to be more substantial...
redface.gif

And this is where things get complicated. There are just too many options, not to mention opinions... And here I am asking for more! Hehehehe.

But here’s what I know. I need your help making the best DAC decision for my dollar.

I will have about 1400 usd to spend on DAC and amp.
I know I want a nice DAC. And feel after reading that it’s the more important component, and that it should be stand-alone.
I’ll connect the DAC to my home PC with USB.
Then I would like to venture into the world of a nice starter tube amp, which I’ll connect to the DAC with RCA.

I’ve looked at a lot more DACs than I have tube amps. It seems that when it comes to affordable tube amps, there’s tons of happy customers of the Woo amps and the Little Dots, and a few others. So my decision there shouldn’t be too hard. Conceptually, I’ve determined that I will set aside 500 to 600 of my cash for the nice starter tube amp, and leave the rest for the DAC. Easy enough…

However, when it comes to the DAC, I’ve read pages upon pages here at Head-Fi. And you guys have practically sharpened shanks and gone after each other over which DAC is best. Haha.

I’ve looked at the affordable Musical Fidelity V-Dac, but worry that I’ll get upgrade-itis later. And I don’t particularly love the looks of this one, nor the front and back panel arrangement of connections.
I’ve looked at the Cambridge DacMagic. Nicely priced. But have read several reports of it being overly bright. Any defenders out there?
I’ve read reviews of the Stello DA100 Signature. Lots of glowing reports here. But, at nearly $900 for this guy, is it worth it?
Also looking at the Meier Corda Stagedac, which has crossfeed. I’ve never heard crossfeed. But reckon I sorta understand what it does. It’s cheaper than the Stello, and was well-liked by 6Moons, but it doesn’t up-sample. Will I regret that later, guys?

Those are my thoughts for stand-alone DAC. But… Should I also be considering a combo SS amp / DAC for now? Something I can use as both DAC and amp for the time being, and therefore extending my budget to 1400 for the one item?
I would have to postpone the purchase of the tube amp, obviously. And would listen to the amp section of this for now, adding on the tube amp later. Would this put me in better shape? For instance, in the price range of the Corda Symphony, Peachtree Nova or Benchmark DAC1 USB.
Being that this is my first serious hifi purchase, are those worth the 1200 to 1400 smackers being asked? Will my newbie ears even be able to hear the difference?
tongue.gif

Something in my brain says “If you want a great DAC, then buy a stand-alone. Because if you buy the combo unit, you can rest assured the attention to that product was split evenly between the amp and DAC section. So it’s safe to assume your value will be split as well.” Am i off base here?

I don’t wish to start another DAC war. I just look forward to some of your opinions. And, I also realize that I will likely get responses all across the board. However, whoever makes the best case wins!!! Hahahaha!!!

I know, I know. Before you even say it… “Welclome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.”
Hahahahahah (nervous laughter)
icon10.gif

And, sorry again about the long post.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 12
low budget:
cambridge audio dacmagic
ps audio digital link iii

mid budget:
benchmark dac pre (or hdr)
bel canto dac3

personal favorite (based on no review what so ever, just my personal bias)
naim dac

i'm also a noob here, but those are the few that receive alot of praise in this forum (after extensive browsing)

and the naim is just my personal favorite (hate me if you want, i just kinda like what i like)

but i think for the money, dacmagic really is the best bang for the buck and it's a very well-rounded dac too....it kinda does everything good (though not briliant) and does nothing terrible bad

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Check out Firestone Audio. They make a whole range of DACs, headphone amps and combined products. Build quality is excellent and my Fubar USB DAC and supplier sounds excellent as well.

http://www.firestone-audio.com/

Another potential is th Musical Fidleity X-CANV8P which has a DAC in it. Ratings of the DAC part vary. I personally think it is very good. I now have the Fubar as it has a greater dynamic.

So, like me you can combine the two products and get a DAC and amp that will drive any headphone and sounds great.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 12
Guess you might have already read this..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-opera-226919/

When I have the money .. Stello DA100 (NOT necessarily signature) is first on my list since I am not going to use balanced setup. I want see how it compares to my current DAC19MK3 which I think is great for the money. According to the review DA100 ($695) seems to be the best value if you are not going for a balanced setup.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 12
It's $399. I'm also eagerly awaiting the HDP, even though there isn't too much known about it yet (must be carryover hype from the udac).

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's $399. I'm also eagerly awaiting the HDP, even though there isn't too much known about it yet (must be carryover hype from the udac).

They had to raise the price. The uDac thread in the dedicated source forum has more info. They also have some specs on the page at their website.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm new too and spent about a month or so agonizing over a similar decision ($1000-$1500 on a headamp and dac).

I wanted something warm/musical to match my RS1s so I ultimately went with Mapletree Ear and a Pico usb dac. I really wanted to get a MHDT Paradisea or Havana dac but kept missing them on Audiogon and didn't feel like it was worth it for me to pay full retail since I'm only getting started with this hobby and would like to give myself the chance to upgrade down the road within my budget and without blowing my wad now.

I looked into a lot of the dacs that you mentioned and then some. Without spending too much time on this post, here are a few random comments that you may find useful:

- If you're connecting dac via usb, a lot of the dacs you listed will not reach full potential by connecting via usb so you'll probably end up purchasing a usb to spdif converter (i.e., you'll likely end up spending another $100-$200)
- Agree that v-dac is ugly and even though lots of people like it looks were reason enough for me to decide against it but it took me a while to finally admit that to myself
- One really good reason to buy separate dac and amp that you may not have considered is you have double the ability to tweak your system later on (i.e., this isn't detailed enough for me so I want to swap in a more detailed dac)
- Benchmark and Stagedac have a reputation for being very detailed, some would even say harsh in the uppers (this may not be a problem for you if your going with a tube amp, but something to consider)
- AudioGD 19mk3 (now dac 19, I think) is a popular choice around here and within your budget
- Have fun, you can always sell what you buy at a minimal loss if you don't like it

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Just to add to the last post, If you consider the Audio-gd dac 19, you should also look at the C2 ($350 Amp). These are designed to go together (using Audio-gd's current transmision technology) and should come to almost $1100 with shipping if you get the dac 19 with the DSP.

As these are new products, I myself am waiting for more user opinions before spending that kind of money.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 12
thanks for the replies.

the mention of Audio-gd has helped propel me into another realm with my search... the "affordable Chinese dac" realm. and, boy, these are some gorgeous options.

have looked at/read about the KECES 151, Audio-gd dac19, Firestone, Zero, MHDT labs, and Oritek. man, i thought i was narrowing things down, but instead i've sorta scratched one list and created another.
confused_face(1).gif

I will say this, the Audio-gd dac19 looks amazing. the interior separation, the vishay caps, the solid anodized aluminum construction. however, the KECES is the hottest looking dac i've seen by far.
man.... this, along with a black anodized Woo wa3+, and i'll be ready.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back