NEWBIE looking for an IEM~
Oct 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

xXAlucarDXx

New Head-Fier
    Hii guys... I just joined the forum. I'm rather new to this audio business, and im looking forward to learn more about audio with you guys.

I get bored of those crappy headphone like the candys, and the cheap headphone out there. So few weeks ago, I decided to buy a pair of goods headphone for myself. and eventually I bought few earphone and headphone from dr dre. I currently use the lady gaga's heartbeats as my earphone and studio for my headphones. they are work really good for me (may be i never heard a better earpiece or headphone before). and yesterday, my friend introduce me to this new gadget the shure 535. And wow, they looks really good and solid . And another friend just pop out and introduce me the westone um3x. they say it sound amazing, together with it brother w3. So I thought since I'm getting serious in this earphone business i need to know what I'm buying (since i have limited budget :p) . So im in the middle of hard decision. I did quite bit of research and i still find it hard to decide. >.<

I have a preference of my own. The shure 535 ; Westone um3X ; and westone 3. I'm studying film and television now so I need a really comfortable earphone to work with the video editing for a couple of hour a day. And I also listen to alot of music (kinda around may be 6 hours a day?) sleeping,jogging,going to bus, every where. My budget is only AUD 750 (my friend also suggested a decent amp like Go-vibe magnum. he said that I can get a bundle of earphone,amp & interconnect). and seriously, I almost go every where with an earphone or headphone everywhere with me... a strong,long lasting and sound good are my first priority. Style? its doesn't matter for me as long as it sound good and comfortable >.<

I really looking forward for your help!

And another information, I'm using Ipod nano 6th gen, iphone 3gs! I love bass but sometime i need to monitor the speech in the video too...

Like dr dre said, listen what you never listen before ~~

THXX!!

PS: I found my beats Studio bass are not strong enough and for my earphone ladys gaga heartbeat by dr dre are not comfortable at all.... (hope it will help)

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 16
holy moly you have a $750 budget for earbuds? are you rich, send me some $$$ lol jkjkjk

tthe shure you mentioned is like $500.00 or so and thankfully it has low ohmage, meaning you dont need a really nice amp to get great sound from it.  So, that could be a fantastic buy.  Get those and an Ibasso portable amp and you will be bery happy.  Hell bro, all those you mentioned are excellent earbuds, super high quality sets and i dont think you can go wrong with any of them.  Just make sure to do hella research on them all.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 16
Welcome to the forum Alucard! Seeing more and more Australians around. This is a good thing, because maybe we can eventually have IEM meetups heh.

I really think that since you are going to be using these IEM's not just for listening to music, but actual studio monitoring, you should only go with the professional monitor options. (Not the SE535). I think your best choices in that regard are probably the UM3X or the very highly recommended Earsonics SM3, which are both monitors. THe SM3, like the SE535, is extremely easy to drive and doesn't require an amp.

You might find Shigzeo's review helpful, with comparisons to the UM3x.

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/06/24/earsonics-sm3-earphone-in-review/

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 16
xXAlucarDXx wrote:

My budget is only AUD 750

A Sansa Clip+, coupled with a FiiO E-7 and a refurbished Sennheiser IE8 will give you killer sound.  The rest can be spent on music.

A Sansa Clip+, coupled with an iBasso D12 attached to a pair of refurbished Sennheiser IE8's would be even better but you'd have less to spend on music.

wink.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 16
OK~~ thxx.... May be going to the shop and try each of it today~ thx~~

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 16
UM3X will sound like a better solution. Since you are going to use with your work, the UM3X to me i feel is much more detail and clear on the reproduction of each sound. So, can give that a consideration! 

BTW, get your friends back together and have a test out on these 3 earphones side by side again with your own music to try it out!

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 16
wow you have that much to spend.  to be honest, the audio technica ck-10 have the best reviews for sound.  im sure more expensive can get you a more expensive sound, but the ck-10 are around 250.00 dollars and i've heard they just sound amazing and are very well balanced.  before anything though, you want to check out this thread.  i now have it bookmarked because it really has some great reviews on the iems.

any questions you may have about IEMs can be found on this page:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17

good luck!

as for the amp, dont get the e7.  only get that amp if your strictly using it for portability.  if you want a stationary amp there are much better out there including the mini^3.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote: Ronald Lee
UM3X will sound like a better solution. Since you are going to use with your work, the UM3X to me i feel is much more detail and clear on the reproduction of each sound. So, can give that a consideration! 

BTW, get your friends back together and have a test out on these 3 earphones side by side again with your own music to try it out!

Check the stuff out just now... Tried all three sound amazing... Shure 535 sound really clear and smooth for the bass its doesnt meet my "bassy" standard. compared to W3... For UM3X sound really great and hella comfortable to wear... and sound really great... for w3 I didnt get chance to listen it properly, but i did try on david guetta song gettin over... and wow its really fun listening to it, for the mid and treble, i really cant listen to it properly... Now its make my decision even harder...

Quote: jschristian44
wow you have that much to spend.  to be honest, the audio technica ck-10 have the best reviews for sound.  im sure more expensive can get you a more expensive sound, but the ck-10 are around 250.00 dollars and i've heard they just sound amazing and are very well balanced.  before anything though, you want to check out this thread.  i now have it bookmarked because it really has some great reviews on the iems.

any questions you may have about IEMs can be found on this page:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17

good luck!

as for the amp, dont get the e7.  only get that amp if your strictly using it for portability.  if you want a stationary amp there are much better out there including the mini^3.

yea... its a bit over budget for me too, bet let it be  one of my investment >.<
I plan on buyin the amp too so I put my budget slightly higher...
for AT ck-10 I have it check too, the shopkeeper recommend the AT ck10 and sennheiser ie8
I love both of them, they sound really great but its just not into me...
btw thx for the link its really helpful...

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 16
give them all a try when you are real free, i mean is no hurry. Hurry decision will often be a bad one, just like me, ended up making many impulse purchases, end up all selling away on a big lose!

I prefer the UM3X out of the 3 of them, even though comfort and isolation are the same for them, but is more of the detail sound that interest me. 

You tried the IE8 by sennhesier? It have amazing bass! I would say as strongest bass earphone if you are looking for one with a good deep bass earphone. 

As for amp, Ibasso go made many small and portable amp that is easy to carry around, but do note that once anything is become smaller, it will be compromise and thus affect the overall presentation of the music! 

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
give them all a try when you are real free, i mean is no hurry. Hurry decision will often be a bad one, just like me, ended up making many impulse purchases, end up all selling away on a big lose!

I prefer the UM3X out of the 3 of them, even though comfort and isolation are the same for them, but is more of the detail sound that interest me. 

You tried the IE8 by sennhesier? It have amazing bass! I would say as strongest bass earphone if you are looking for one with a good deep bass earphone. 

As for amp, Ibasso go made many small and portable amp that is easy to carry around, but do note that once anything is become smaller, it will be compromise and thus affect the overall presentation of the music! 

yea~
I made my decision...
um3x seems fit me better...
together with go-vibe vulcan vb and ibasso CB07 interconnect
Is it a good buy?

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
i have not heard of the amp that you mention, so i cannot give you any suggestion based on that. Used to own the Ibasso amp. 

http://www.unclewilsons.com/shop/step1.php?number=633
There it is~

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 16
Alucard, I'm curious given the high local price, why wouldn't you consider getting the SM3's from overseas? The UM3x is pretty expensive here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back