Newbie looking for a rugged/durable pair of earphones
Apr 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
I'm not sure I would consider anything w/ a ceramic housing durable.  It seems like a nice design but ceramic is brittle when dropped.  Anyone wanna take one for the team and find out?

The shells of the CC51 are quite thick and the shape makes them unlikely to shatter. I think you'd have to apply force in two different directions to get them to crack. Or hit them with a hammer. Either way I'm sure the microdriver will detach from the front of the housing before anything happens to the shell itself. Comforting, isn't it?

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 23
Do you have a graph or X-ray to back that up?  
tongue.gif
  I will say that hook in the J looks mighty tempting.  
biggrin.gif
  It definitely doesn't feel delicate.  I just get a picture in my mind when it comes to ceramic.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #18 of 23
If my CC51 comes back from the loaner program in worse condition than before, I might have to experimentally prove my hunch. Let's say that if the housings survive the drop from my 2nd story balcony onto concrete, you're buying me a beer
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
If my CC51 comes back from the loaner program in worse condition than before, I might have to experimentally prove my hunch. Let's say that if the housings survive the drop from my 2nd story balcony onto concrete, you're buying me a beer
wink.gif

Sweet!  Hope you like Pabst Blue.  
tongue.gif
  I prefer the 'Will it blend?" test.  

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
Sweet!  Hope you like Pabst Blue.  
tongue.gif
  I prefer the 'Will it blend?" test.  

I like both my earphones and my blender far too much...

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
I don't know why you would want both the M9 and M6. I'd honestly go for the SP51 or M21/M31 instead. The CC51 is nice too but uses a fairly generic cable wile the SP- and M-series earphones used clear-coted cords that are far more resistant to damage.

I see. I ended buying the M9 for $22 with one day shipping on Amazon. I've been using stock or cheap headphones my whole life, so I'm not going to be able to understand/appreciate what the M9 offers or does not. The build quality and price is what attracted me to it. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:

I see. I ended buying the M9 for $22 with one day shipping on Amazon. I've been using stock or cheap headphones my whole life, so I'm not going to be able to understand/appreciate what the M9 offers or does not. The build quality and price is what attracted me to it. 

how did it went?

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 23

Quote:

how did it went?

I'm not sure if it's my music files, but I feel like the songs aren't as "clear" as I'd like them to be. I feel like the bass has a big influence in the way the music plays to my ears, and I feel like the bass "booms" a little and it is a bit muddy. I listen to electronica/dance, and I have to select the treble booster option in EQ on my iPod for a clear sound. 

However, I did get a good fit with the double flange tips that were already on the earbuds, and I am very happy with that. I've read some reviews giving negative reviews to good headphones because the reviewer did not achieve a good fit, so I was worried about that. I'm also very happy with the cord design, as well as the strain reliefs on the headphones. Isolation is fine for regular commuting, but I listened to these on an airplane and they did not isolate outside sound as well as I thought it would.

These are a complete step-up from my previous headphones - Zune premium headphones, and these are now my benchmark for durable, portable & easily replaceable headphones. 

These headphones are invaluable in the experience they gave me - I realized tight, controlled bass as well as clear mids are the sound I prefer to hear. iPod controls on headphones are very useful as well.

I'm not sure if well defined highs would provide me with a good listening experience because I do like to listen to music at relatively high volumes, and clarified highs might actually be a pain to hear.

I'm still looking for a pair of <$200 iPod-compatible headphones, and these M9s are helping me find what I want. [of course, head-fi is too!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back