Newbie looking for a rugged/durable pair of earphones
Apr 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

SOLIDOPS

New Head-Fier
Hi there Head-Fi, thanks for having me, this is my first post here.

I listen to my music on the go, and whenever I'm done I wrap my headphones around my iPhone/iPod and shove them in my pockets.

Yes, I am your typical iPod listener. 

However, I pay close attention to my music collection, and I've been downloading 256 kbps where available, or I try to use AAC.

I'm looking for something durable to last the pocket-shovings, something with a tangle free cord and of course sound isolation along with sound quality. 

I've been looking at the Klipsch S5i, which seem to fit the bill, but I'm on the fence because according to some reviews the remote is pretty big and the line is long. I don't want to look like a klutz with a long cord hang down from my ears and a big remote right in the middle.

What would you recommend for a pair of durable earphones? 

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 23
CK10, GR10.  Oddly I can't think of a dynamic driver that would qualify as an Armageddon IEM.  HJE900 has a tough as nails shell but their drivers seem to fail.  At that point no one cares how strong your shell is.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
CK10, GR10.  Oddly I can't think of a dynamic driver that would qualify as an Armageddon IEM.  HJE900 has a tough as nails shell but their drivers seem to fail.  At that point no one cares how strong your shell is.

Thanks for the suggestions, but those are a little pricey for me. 

I may end up buying the Klipsch S3, since they do have tangle-resistant cables, but I will have to forgo the remote...

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but those are a little pricey for me.   
I may end up buying the Klipsch S3, since they do have tangle-resistant cables, but I will have to forgo the remote...

The S3 has mediocre build quality and the cables are not resistant to anything. I hope Klipsch isn't marketing them as tangle-resistant...

I'd go for the Brainwavz M2 or one of the MEElec models before the S3.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
The S3 has mediocre build quality and the cables are not resistant to anything. I hope Klipsch isn't marketing them as tangle-resistant...

I'd go for the Brainwavz M2 or one of the MEElec models before the S3.

Wow, I didn't know that, thank you. It says on Amazon that the S3 are tangle resistant. Brainwavz...I will find a review for them. 

Quote:
Sennheiser IE7.  Cable is tough as nails and with the right tips, you get adequate isolation, but superb SQ.

That looks like a great pair, and if the cable is really that tough then it should be perfect. Do you know what the difference is between the Klipsch S5i and these? (except for the big remote on the Klipsch!)

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 23
After looking up the Brainwavz, I found Meelectronics, and my horizons have broadened...now it's a tough choice between the M6/M9, even though they're so inexpensive I should just get both. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 23
Klipsch Image S5i!

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-s5i-rugged-overview/

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
I'm really considering these, but the only thing holding me back is the big remote. Not to mention, The Meelectronics M6/9 are very attractive that their price. :)

The M6 and M9 are older models and the M6 isn't built quite as well as the newer stuff. I think the M31, M11+, and  SP51 are all built like tanks though I still don't like the way the M11 sounds.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 23
The M6 and M9 are older models and the M6 isn't built quite as well as the newer stuff. I think the M31, M11+, and  SP51 are all built like tanks though I still don't like the way the M11 sounds.

Actually, the CC51P's sound really good and they are pretty durable! Here is my review

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:

So you would advising against the older two models, even if I buy both? 

I love reading the reviews in your thread, they're so helpful! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
So you would advising against the older two models, even if I buy both? 

I don't know why you would want both the M9 and M6. I'd honestly go for the SP51 or M21/M31 instead. The CC51 is nice too but uses a fairly generic cable wile the SP- and M-series earphones used clear-coted cords that are far more resistant to damage.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm not sure I would consider anything w/ a ceramic housing durable.  It seems like a nice design but ceramic is brittle when dropped.  Anyone wanna take one for the team and find out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back