Newbie, k701, apm, money wasting...
Jan 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Lord K

New Head-Fier
First:
I'm italian, my english is not as good as it should be since I've been studying it at school for about 17 years. I can read almost everything but my written production is, at most, nearly acceptable. I'm sorry about that and I ask you not to kill me if you can't understand what I'm saying.

Second:
I'm a total newbie, i never used an "serious" headphones befores, I've read the "hopefully helpful" sticky topic and I've found it (guess what?) helpulf, but not what I need.

When my old Creative Dj-don't-remember-what hedphones died, I started looking around for something better. I read a lot of rewievs and I like Akg's K701 a lot, I went on european amazons and I found them on the german one (amazon.de) for 212€ (more or less 310 us dollars). Then, even if I've always been pretty a monywaster, simply thought "Just beacause you can afford them, it doesn't mean you know how to use". I was lucky, 'cause if I'd bought them they'd be now working on my macbook or tv headphone out which I just understand it's not what they've been projected for.

I just discovered a new world. (amps for headphones?!
redface.gif
).

Now, I listen a lot of music, but my big passion is progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ...), but i love The Who (i kinda dance around my room listening Baba O'Riley), Led Zeppelin, the Skynyrd and others.
I listen to Fabrizio De Andrè and Francesco Guccini (italian songwriters, their music is usually pretty simple, but the lyrics are poetry) and some Jazz (I'm still discovering it, at the moment I'm crazy about Coltrane and really love Chris Scott, for example).

The big problem is that I'm a big newbie, I read that K701 needs an amp, well, nice, I found a lot of threads about the better amp for this headphone, but the question is: i take an amp, i plug the k701 to the amp and... where do I put the cd? Or how do I use them whit music on my computer?

So should I buy the K701 and an amp or it's better to go step by step starting whit an headphone that doesn't need an amp and then look around and try to understand better what i need and want?

Another big problem is in italy there're not many shop about music, so i should buy them on the net without having them tested on my own.

Thanks
atsmile.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord K /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First:
I'm italian, my english is not as good as it should be since I've been studying it at school for about 17 years. I can read almost everything but my written production is, at most, nearly acceptable. I'm sorry about that and I ask you not to kill me if you can't understand what I'm saying.

Second:
I'm a total newbie, i never used an "serious" headphones befores, I've read the "hopefully helpful" sticky topic and I've found it (guess what?) helpulf, but not what I need.

When my old Creative Dj-don't-remember-what hedphones died, I started looking around for something better. I read a lot of rewievs and I like Akg's K701 a lot, I went on european amazons and I found them on the german one (amazon.de) for 212€ (more or less 310 us dollars). Then, even if I've always been pretty a monywaster, simply thought "Just beacause you can afford them, it doesn't mean you know how to use". I was luck, 'cause if I'd bought them they'd be now working on my macbook or tv headphone out which I just understand it's not what they've been projected for.

I just discovered a new world. (amps for headphone?!
redface.gif
).

Now, I listen a lot of music, but my big passion is progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ...), but i love The Who (i kinda dance around my room listening Baba O'Riley), Led Zeppelin, the Skynyrd and others.
I listen to Fabrizio De Andrè and Francesco Guccini (italian songwriters, their music is usually pretty simple, but the lyrics are poetry) and some Jazz (I'm still discovering it, at the moment I'm crazy about Coltrane and really loke Chris Scott, for example).

The big problem is that I'm a big newbie, I read that K701 needs an amp, well, nice, I found a lot of threads about the better amp for this headphone, but the question is: i take an amp, i plug the k701 to the amp and... where do I put the cd? Or how do I use them whit music on my computer?

So should I buy the K701 and an amp or it's better to go step by step starting whit an headphone that doesn't need an amp and then look around and try to understand better what i need and want?

Another big problem is in italy there're not many shop about music, so i should buy them on the net without having them tested on my own.

Thanks
atsmile.gif

I am Italian also but do not speak Italian. The AKG 701 I have with my Little Dot MK11 is very good. You may want to look at the little Dot amps they are great. I wouldnt buy the 701 unless your going to use an amp

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Wait. Don't buy the K701 yet.

The MS1 is $99 USD with shipping worldwide. It does well with all music genres, but mainly rock.

Personally, I wouldn't jump to such a nice set so fast. Be patient; see what type of sound signature you like, and move on from there.

And you have QUITE good english
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 25
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Since your favorite music is rock, the K701 is not the best option. I would do a little more research before buying the AKG headphones. They don't sound that great with rock - one of the Alessandro headphones (like the MS1) will probably be better for your music, or check out the Sennheiser HD650.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord K /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lord K, congrats on your first post.

Re your question on how to connect an amp to your laptop:

Nearly all headphone amps come with two RCA inputs for the left and right channel. The simplest way to connect the amp to your laptop is via a Y-adaptor: the single line goes into the 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo headphone/speaker out jack on your computer and the 2 RCAs go into the amp. In this configuration, you'd use the CD player on your computer.

This is a very basic setup that is actually very good for most listening needs. However, if you want to step up a bit, you're then looking at many other options, the most important of which is to move the process of translating the digital signals to analog to an external device, a DAC (digital to analog converter). The amp would then use the DAC as its source. As you can imagine, the cost for this next step can be costly.

For basics on headphone rigs, see Headroom's learning center:
Learning Center - Products Equipment Reviews Specifications and Support | HeadRoom Audio

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 25
I am into prog rock as well and the K702s provide a fantastic incite into the music with lovely detail and clarity. If you are more into the prog than the rock the K702s are great. If you are more into the rock than the prog then I would consider Grados (the Alessandros are similar but I have not heard them) as they have a more dynamic sound.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 25
You beat me to it PRM. I am another confessed progressive/classic rock fan and enjoy the 701s more for this music than my RS-1s. Electric rock and blues are a different matter.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 25
Ciao Lord K ^^
tu piace progressive rock? tu dovere compri Grado MS1's.

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 25
I agree with the others that the K701 isn't an optimal choice, a good choice nonetheless. There are many better options you can take for rock.

To answer your other question..

A typical headphone setup will be either:
Computer -> DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) -> Amp -> Headphones
or
CD Player -> Amp -> Headphones
or
Record Player -> PreAmp -> Amp -> Headphones

A DAC is required because the headphone jack in a typical computer/laptop simply isn't up to standard. You can get dedicated sound cards for desktop computers which are far greater than the ones that come with your computer. In reality, a desktop DAC is better.

Sometimes you can get an Amp with a DAC built in (which is a good choice sometimes).

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 25
K701 takes some very good associated equipment and a lot of burn-in before they even begin to rock. In an optimized setup, they sound pretty damn nice. In the vast majority of setups, they are terrible for rock music.

Go with the Alessandros.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 25
Thanks to everybody.

Frank: i looked at little dot amps, i also wrote to official seller on ebay about shipping to italy.

About Alessandro and grados:
I'm having trouble finding the website (alessandro is a pretty common name in italy (i.e. my father's name is alessadro) and "grado" is italian for "degree" so if i google them the first result is not about headphones (nor the 3'000th), i tried to google "alessandro (or grado) headphone", but there are some problems: first i'm almost 2 meters tall (for my widget converter is 6,4 feet) my head is big and I'm not sure they fit; second I don't know what model I should look at, but some of them are "on hears" (not around, to use the bose model as an example), that doesn't seem very comfortable to me since i use to move my head while listening music (not up-and-down metal fan usually do, but, for example, from keyboard to monitor, if I'm using the macbook). Third I don't understand if alessandro and grado are the same (if i found the right photos, the seem pretty similar) or if grados' producing something that a guy called alessandro designs or something else.

Oh, I don't like the way they look. I know it comes far after the way they sound, but, even if i think there something interesting in the round shape, don't know why, don't like them.

Do they (i still don't know if grados or alessandro and which model) need an amp?

Another question: are k701s and k702s different (i'm talking about the way they sound), I read somewhere they exactly the same except for the fact you can change the cable (or wire, or link, which word shuold i use?) on the k702s and, of course, the color.

I probably forgot some question, it seems there are a lot of thing i don't know, and it nice since i like learning new stuff.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 25
I googled "alessandro headphones" and this was the first link to come up.Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones Not so hard, is it?
wink.gif

The main difference between Grado and Alessandro is that Grados are for sale in the US only. Anyways, they do sit on your ear and eventually become uncomfortable. Bowls and donut pads help for comfort but hurt the sound quality, in my experience. As for "needing" an amp, that's up to you. I amp my Grados, and I'm even upgrading my amp, but they're very easy to drive compared to other good headphones.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 25
2 more questions:
what do you need saying good/acceptable/not good for rock? In what a good rock headphone is not good for prog? (I'm just learning, not trying to say you're wrong)

I forgot the second (i'm tired, in italy it is 1 a.m.), sorry.

EDIT: here's the second question:
should i forgot to use them or the eventual amp whit my iPhone, right?

I found that site, but I didn't know which one I should look at.

I'd prefer something sold in europe, within european countries there's no custom and I'm not crazy about custom fees which you're pretty sure you've to pay if you buy something bigger than a cigarette pack out of europe.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 25
The reasons I like the Ks for prog. are the soundstage, long term comfort and clarity. Not that the RS-1s don't do a damn good job, but listening to late 60s-mid 70s Genesis, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Marillion etc. with that huge soundstage is something to be experienced. Vocals also shine with the Ks. Yes, you trade off the Grado aggressive attack, that's why I own them also.

The K70x are supposed to be identical drivers. There has been mention of members owning both that there are minor differences. The time I've heard them, the 702s were new and the 701s had a couple thousand hours. The differences I attributed to the lack of break in of the 702s.

If you don't or aren't ready to spring for an adequate amp for the Ks to perform, the MS-2 are (to me) the sweet spot for value. The metal can gives electric/tronic rock more slam and speed. They sound good out of an ipod and respond well to budget amping. They come up for sale from our Euro members from time to time.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #15 of 25
I'm now thinking a good call could be to buy (if I don't find them in europe, even on the official website) the alessandro Music series one (I just understood what MS-1 stands for), ude them keep listing music and learning about headphones, than buy an amp and eventually the k701. (and yes, a good cd reader or whatever I'll feel i need).

Do you agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back