Newbie here with questions to ask about Westone UM1
May 5, 2009 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Sgt_Strider

100+ Head-Fier
Ok guys, I think this may be the earphones to get. So I need a earphone to fit my lifestyle and not so much as to produce the ideal sound for a specific genre of music.

I think I have settled down on the Westone UM1. I basically need a set of earphones that I can sleep on the side with, travel on an airplane, provide excellent noise isolation, and for working out in the gym or out jogging. The only problem that I can see with the UM1 is that it's over the ear kind of earphone. I don't know if it's because I have small ears, but my last set of Shure earphones (E4Gs) failed to hang on to my ears despite my best intentions to get it to stay on. So basically, I only used it in situations where I'll be standing still or just not moving. I couldn't exercise with it. Also, the cable length on the E4G was a drag. It was so long and Shure didn't provide a clip!

I'll be using the earphones with either my Sony USB MP3 player (forgot model number) and a Sandisk Sansa Clip. Does the UM1 come with a clip? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. How do you guys deal with the UM1's long cable? It's 52 inches long which is kind of crazy. I'm only 5.85 feet tall if that helps. Also, can the UM1 be worn hanging down?

Now where is the best place to buy it? I'm thinking of buying it on Ebay from this seller: Westone UM1 In Ear Monitors / Free Global Shipping - eBay (item 280330964719 end time May-06-09 04:29:57 PDT)

The price seems good, but I'm not sure if it's the lowest that I can get from a reputable dealer. Any comment on this? Is there a solid black version available? Thanks!

May 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 28
No, UM1 doesn't come with clip IIRC, nor that I think Westone cable need a clip anyway (they are very light and soft, unlike the Shure's). You can always find a clip yourself if you really want to, but I never find it necessary with Westone (not a tall guy myself). One thing though: it must be worn over-the-ear.

Beside eBay, Earphonesolutions.com is also selling at the same price.

May 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, UM1 doesn't come with clip IIRC, nor that I think Westone cable need a clip anyway (they are very light and soft, unlike the Shure's). You can always find a clip yourself if you really want to, but I never find it necessary with Westone (not a tall guy myself). One thing though: it must be worn over-the-ear.

Beside eBay, Earphonesolutions.com is also selling at the same price.

What about that Ebay seller? Have heard of the retailer before?

How do you deal with the long cable if you're not a very tall guy like me? Do you think the UM1 will fit me well though? I'm just afraid it'll be similar to the E4G which was a nightmare to use.

May 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 28
Here is an old thread about Freq City - judging from that thread I'll say they are probably okay to deal with.

I just let my UM2 hangs loose (UM1 and UM2 is about the same size). Westone cable doesn't really bother me in any bit because of how soft and thin they are. The same can't be said to Shure thick cable. Westone UM 1 / UM2 is known for their easy fit, you shouldn't have any problem unless you have very tiny or large earcanl.

May 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 28
As ClieOS says, the Westone cable is very light, and if i'm honest, they are the most comfortable over-the-ear cable IEM's I've got. I'm not saying that IEM's on the whole have a wonderful fit... they don't, that's just the nature of the type of earphones you're buying, but for your needs, the Weastone's are a very good choice.

May 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 28
Mind if I jump in here as well, don't want to start a whole new thread just for for these -

But I was just wondering - so you basically can't use the UM1/UM2 like standard non-over-the-ear IEM's? You have to run them back and around your ears?

Also, how is cable noise on these things? Pretty bad? Or better than most?

Thanks

May 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 28
Cable noise on Westones not an issue, and must be worn over the ear. As for Freq City, OP, I bought my Westone 3s from them, and they are an authorized Westone dealer, nothing but honest.

May 5, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 28
FYI, the price is the price (the UM1s are hardly ever discounted at retail). Also, the Westone cable is thin, but sturdy, and stays put much better than any other over the ear phones I have owned.

Now, as for the UM1 sound, I found it way too dark/veiled, with little or no sparkle in the mids/highs. Very warm sound, which is non-fatiguing, but to me, also dull. I sold my pair within a week or two.

But if a specific sound sig isn't an issue, then by all means.

If you can find them at $105 or less, the Monster Turbines can be worn either over or straight down, and are very good workout phones in my view, and also do not protrude very much. Might not be perfect for sleeping, but not bad either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok guys, I think this may be the earphones to get. So I need a earphone to fit my lifestyle and not so much as to produce the ideal sound for a specific genre of music.

I think I have settled down on the Westone UM1. I basically need a set of earphones that I can sleep on the side with, travel on an airplane, provide excellent noise isolation, and for working out in the gym or out jogging. The only problem that I can see with the UM1 is that it's over the ear kind of earphone. I don't know if it's because I have small ears, but my last set of Shure earphones (E4Gs) failed to hang on to my ears despite my best intentions to get it to stay on. So basically, I only used it in situations where I'll be standing still or just not moving. I couldn't exercise with it. Also, the cable length on the E4G was a drag. It was so long and Shure didn't provide a clip!

I'll be using the earphones with either my Sony USB MP3 player (forgot model number) and a Sandisk Sansa Clip. Does the UM1 come with a clip? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. How do you guys deal with the UM1's long cable? It's 52 inches long which is kind of crazy. I'm only 5.85 feet tall if that helps. Also, can the UM1 be worn hanging down?

Now where is the best place to buy it? I'm thinking of buying it on Ebay from this seller: Westone UM1 In Ear Monitors / Free Global Shipping - eBay (item 280330964719 end time May-06-09 04:29:57 PDT)

The price seems good, but I'm not sure if it's the lowest that I can get from a reputable dealer. Any comment on this? Is there a solid black version available? Thanks!

May 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by umbalito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind if I jump in here as well, don't want to start a whole new thread just for for these -

But I was just wondering - so you basically can't use the UM1/UM2 like standard non-over-the-ear IEM's? You have to run them back and around your ears?

Also, how is cable noise on these things? Pretty bad? Or better than most?

Thanks

I might as well jump in here as well. When the weather breaks, I find myself outside more (walks, yard work, etc.) and use IEMs more frequently. I've been trying my collection of IEMs (Shures, Etys, UEs, Atrios, Klipsch, Yuins, Westones) the last few days, and, to my ears, the Westone UM2 are by far the easiest to insert (even though the cord goes over the ear), the most comfortable, and have the best cord (non-tangling as well as non-microphonic) of all of them. And the sound quality is nothing to sneeze at, either.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...to my ears, the Westone UM2 are by far the easiest to insert (even though the cord goes over the ear), the most comfortable, and have the best cord (non-tangling as well as non-microphonic) of all of them. And the sound quality is nothing to sneeze at, either.
biggrin.gif

I concur.

May 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 28
I have small ears and the UM1 with the included short comply tips fit like a dream. I highly recommend earphonesolutions.com as they have very good customer support. I'm not sure if this coupon code works but you can try "THANKS15"

If that doesn't work, there should be some 10% coupon codes floating around

EDIT: Like everyone above said, the UM1 can only be worn over the ear. After years of wearing earphones straight down, I too was worried about the over the ear style. Once I tried the UM1s though, the rest is history. Now, I prefer wearing over the ear.

May 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might as well jump in here as well. When the weather breaks, I find myself outside more (walks, yard work, etc.) and use IEMs more frequently. I've been trying my collection of IEMs (Shures, Etys, UEs, Atrios, Klipsch, Yuins, Westones) the last few days, and, to my ears, the Westone UM2 are by far the easiest to insert (even though the cord goes over the ear), the most comfortable, and have the best cord (non-tangling as well as non-microphonic) of all of them. And the sound quality is nothing to sneeze at, either.
biggrin.gif

x3 My thoughts exactly... I've owned A LOT of universal IEMs and the UM2 was by far the closest to my customs in terms of fit, comfort, microphonics, and ease of use.

May 6, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 28
How are the COMPLY CANAL TIPS? If I order from Earphone solutions, I canorder a pack for $10 and save $5. How do I determine whether I use standard or short tips? I'm guessing these are foam tips so they're not durable right? Are they hard to clean of ear wax?

May 6, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 28
Standards are very very long. Honestly, I can't see how anybody can fit those in their ears... However, this is coming from someone who has small ears.
The comply tips are very durable but lose their shape after a while. Also, I've noticed that my tips turn yellow after a while (dont know about anybody else
tongue.gif
)

May 6, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by homers54321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Standards are very very long. Honestly, I can't see how anybody can fit those in their ears... However, this is coming from someone who has small ears.
The comply tips are very durable but lose their shape after a while. Also, I've noticed that my tips turn yellow after a while (dont know about anybody else
tongue.gif
)

Are you suggesting that the small will fit me well?

Ok, I think I'll buy the UM1 before I go to sleep tonight. I'm going to do a bit more research on the Comply tips. Are there any other accessories worth buying for the UM1? I'll be pairing this earphone with the Sandisk Sansa Clip if anyone cares.

Are there any other tips that are as good as the Comply tips and fit the UM1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back