Newbie here - LCD-2/3 question, balanced or single ended?
Jul 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

justin b

New Head-Fier
(Edit: Sorry to put my first post in wrong place, my apologies) I am new to this headphone hobby, but into audio equipment and music for many years. This forum has been such a great source of info for me and got me pointed in (I think anyway) the right direction. I recently acquired an AK100 and an ALO International with their SXC18 mini to mini interconnect, and I feel like I am literally hearing my music again for the first time. But to get the open soundstage and imaging I love so much, I am going to get some Audeze cans now. Here's my conundrum. I can swing the LCD-3 but opted to get the LCD-2 recabled with a balanced custom cable (green line) from ALO to take advantage of the balanced output on the International amp, and have a cable upgrade as well. 1500 bucks instead of 2000...but is the balanced out that much better? (I have yet to take delivery of the LCD-2, they are on their way) And now I see the LCD-3 comes with both single ended AND balanced cables. Should I have just gone with the LCD-3? Is the stock balanced cable of the LCD-3 good quality, or would I end up switching it out eventually? I know they are both great cans but wanted some guidance from those in the know. Thanks all :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 3
I went/tested fully balanced a while back and the only difference I found was a +6 dB increase in volume. To my ears the LCD-3 sounds much better than the LCD-2.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 3
I got them today and they sound amazing. I was needing to EQ out of the AK100 for the Etys, not with the LCD-2...I must say I'm pretty happy with them and dig the increased volume out of the balanced cable. My wife took a listen, and usually just dismisses my interest in these things, but she listened for a few minutes quietly and gave them back to me. Asked me how much they were and I was expecting the usual you paid too much, give me some grief, etc. Instead she said well you better buck up and get me a pair. That's a first!

Well there's 2 votes for the LCD-3 so I know they are worth it, but I like what I hear so far in the 2. Maybe I should just upgrade in a few months and let my wife have some fun, too.

Share the love

Users who are viewing this thread

Back