Newbie here: "good" stereo speaker system for mp3 playback
Jun 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

anurag

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Don't know if this is the right place to ask. I mainly listen to electronic dance music. I have Sony XB-500 headphones for 6 months. Its certainly not audiophile quality but I can get warm pleasing sound after using some equalization. (some cut in 3-6kHz range, and a little in 50-100Hz)

Recently I've purchased a cheap 2.1 system SRS-D8 from Sony, which has been truly disappointing so far. Even applying drastic equalization will not bring it anywhere near the smoothness and warmth of XB500. So, I am looking for a stereo system for playing high bit-rate mp3s that

1. has adequate response around 200-500Hz  (this is where my cheap 2.1 fails miserably)

2. must not be fatiguing, good to have attenuated treble like XB500 (especially in 3-6kHz range)

3. has response down to 40Hz

4.  the angle of sound emission should not be too narrow.

My budget is $500-1000. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Jun 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Hi all,

Don't know if this is the right place to ask. I mainly listen to electronic dance music. I have Sony XB-500 headphones for 6 months. Its certainly not audiophile quality but I can get warm pleasing sound after using some equalization. (some cut in 3-6kHz range, and a little in 50-100Hz)

Recently I've purchased a cheap 2.1 system SRS-D8 from Sony, which has been truly disappointing so far. Even applying drastic equalization will not bring it anywhere near the smoothness and warmth of XB500. So, I am looking for a stereo system for playing high bit-rate mp3s that

1. has adequate response around 200-500Hz  (this is where my cheap 2.1 fails miserably)

2. must not be fatiguing, good to have attenuated treble like XB500 (especially in 3-6kHz range)

3. has response down to 40Hz

4.  the angle of sound emission should not be too narrow.

My budget is $500-1000. 

Solution:  Get the Audioengine A2 speakers and a S8 sub.   A2 speakers - $200  S8 sub - $350.  That's right in your price range.  This combo will take care of your 40hz response too.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'm fairly new to the world of avr's, I still don't know the meaning of terms like 'bi-wiring'. Things get complicated for me when I add a sub.
Guess I've to add the power of the 2 main speakers and the sub, then get a receiver that can handle the power?

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 9
The A2 speakers are self powered, so is the S8 sub.  It's a nice combination for sound as the A2 is known for details and very good mid push.  Treble is great when pushed.  A2 speakers has two inputs (RCA & 3.5mm mini jack).   You can use one of the unused inputs on the A2 speaker as the "output" to sub.  Or from sub to the A2 speakers.  Either direction works.   The A2 output rating is around 65w.  S8 is around 150w.  The A2 speakers sound best for nearfield listening btw.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 9
http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/airmotiv6.php

Clean right down to 40hz. Fantastic speakers. I was really surprised by them.

If you want more kick get a used pair of Mackie SRM450s. They hit right around 45hz, but will knock stuff off your walls...

No need for a sub with either, and no need for an amp. Actives all the way.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 9

Currently I'm using this EQ settings with my SRS-D8 and still feel its too bright for me. The lower midrange is just not there. Plus, the satellites are grossly underpowered compared to the sub. They are also highly directional. I really can't figure out how Sony has made such an awful product. More shockingly, it has got good reviews everywhere online.

Side note: Don't laugh at me for using wmp, I know about winamp and electri-q, but somehow like the feel of wmp.

@MorbidToaster,
I just finished reading your review about airmotiv6 here, but its not clear why you've felt the lack of oomph in it. (Is it the lack of lower midrange? Or the lower bass? I can't really figure out from your review) . The ultra low end can of course be filled with a sub, but what I am looking for is a rich (perhaps too colored acc. to others' taste) lower midrange. Also the highly directional tweeters are a turn off for me. Its good to have a system that can fill a 10by10 room.

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Nah AVRs aren't complicated at all - most have sub/LFE outs channel and make wiring a sub easier actually - for price ranges/options:

coax/optical used AVRs can be dirt cheap on Craiglist and the like or if you are planning a surround set up with DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD capability get more current HDMI AVRs. For strictly 2 channel though as said vintage/classic amp have that sweet analog sound still much sough after today so those are options as well. 

No issues for a larger room and definitely no problems with speakers over heating, balancing, etc There are peeps with speakers bought in the 70s still playing to this day ^^

Also a musically inclined sub is not cheap but there are bargains sometimes. I suggest you drop down to AVS speaker subforums where they really know their stuff and can better advise you 
L3000.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/f/89/speakers

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 9

Currently I'm using this EQ settings with my SRS-D8 and still feel its too bright for me. The lower midrange is just not there. Plus, the satellites are grossly underpowered compared to the sub. They are also highly directional. I really can't figure out how Sony has made such an awful product. More shockingly, it has got good reviews everywhere online.

Side note: Don't laugh at me for using wmp, I know about winamp and electri-q, but somehow like the feel of wmp.

@MorbidToaster,
I just finished reading your review about airmotiv6 here, but its not clear why you've felt the lack of oomph in it. (Is it the lack of lower midrange? Or the lower bass? I can't really figure out from your review) . The ultra low end can of course be filled with a sub, but what I am looking for is a rich (perhaps too colored acc. to others' taste) lower midrange. Also the highly directional tweeters are a turn off for me. Its good to have a system that can fill a 10by10 room.

They're clean and strong all the way down but most of the bass fires back into the wall. It's pretty awesome sounding (the entire wall sounds like bass) and will definitely fill a room. Thry directional so there's a sweet spot but I never felt disappointed outsode the sweet spot either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back