Newbie help with AMP Senn HD650s $1000 Budget
Jul 17, 2007 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

OverElysium

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, have been searching it and looking for a proper amp.

I recently purchased the HD650s, I have searched and searched this forum, and it seems like every topic for amps and HD650s there are so many choices. And I'm afraid that I will make the wrong choice based on my music tastes.

I listen to a lot of synthpop, EBM, and Industrial but also like to relax and listen to classical of all eras as well as classic rock and pretty much everything.

I would say the majority of my listening time is when listening to electronic music.

My budget is $1000 and am looking for the amp that would be right for me.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

EDIT: After a day of research and help from people here at head-fi I ended up spending twice as much as my original budget was!! THANK YOU HEAD-FI!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 36
Make sure you don't skimp on a quality DAC while Amp hunting, you don't want to amplify garbage
cool.gif

...some well reviewed SS amps to look would be GS-1, Opera, LavryDac/Amp, Lehmann Black Cube.

For tubes I'd look at Woo6, a used SinglePower PPX3, Mad Ear+ Purist

All of those are of good quality and depending on your source they probably won't be night and day differences between them so I wouldn't do a lot of hand wringing over it if you pick one you don't like. From what I've read the GS-1 is excellent at being transparent and drives well, the Opera is tailerd to warmth + detail, and the lehmann has lots of energy but has been accused of being overly cold/analytical, keep in mind that your source plays a big part in this too, look at Asr's comments regarding the GS-X's response to sources. You can always sell your amp here if you don't like it, seems like most recently discussed amps get snapped up quickly, older amps not so much...

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 36
I chose a budget of $1000 because I cannot really spend more then that.

I appreciate all feedback, just hope that you are taking into account my music preferences when naming an amp.

Thank you all in advance.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 36
Jul 17, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 36
There is a PPX3 Slam for sale by Audio Addict for "$650.00 shipped" in the for sale forum. Great amp, and even better,.... money left over. It looks in new condition in the photos.
Lots of goods deals used. Plus you can always trurn it over with minimum loss if you decide to.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 36
Maybe the $1000 Starter Package from HR - Desktop Amp w/ DAC and AKG K701s

Take a listen to the K701s and decide which ones you like better (HD650s or K701s). Then sell the ones you like the least (or keep them both). If you sell it, you can probably get more for the headphones than what you paid, based on the package price.

That's what I'm thinking about doing if I ever go balanced.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 36
RSA Raptor does sound nice with senns, agreed, especially when dealing with acoustic music, since it really helps neutrality, and accurate tone representation. If you could go balanced, it would help, I think acoustic instruments sound excellent on balanced senns.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graham Slee Solo.
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

And I'm sure the latest model is better than mine, mumble grumble...
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 36
i'm a big fan of the Single power extreme at this price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back