Newbie help please! Audiphile 'phones for PC...
Feb 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainbrendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really would want an amp if you are planning on spending decent money on headphones. With so many USB DAC amps out now, why not consider one or just a cheaper amp? Then you might have enough left over to consider some better cans.

Beyer DT880, and the AKG 701 both are good cans that have alot of sparkle and definition but need an amp to shine.

If you really don't want an amp, then consider the Grados or the AD900 (Haven't heard it though). Both are low impedence.

You already know the general senn sound, so if you don't like it, don't get another senn. The ksc75 is somewhat reminiscent of grado cans with a more prominent midrange and smaller soundstage.

The sennheisers really don't have the sparkle you're looking for unfortunately. A 595 straight out of a computer is somewhat disappointing I think. Again, an amp beefs up the bass and pulls details together.

Are your 595's the 50 or 120 ohm version?

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 38
the 50s, still don't really like em. My beyer 880s stomp the heck out of them.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #33 of 38
Looking around at reviews, the HD 595s are just the best value (so far as I can tell) for my application. The 600s look tasty too and the AT AD900s, but I can buy the 595s for ~ £78, they'll work fine with my sound card, and although opinions differ - as opinions surely will! - no one has said they sound crap! Other cans worth considering are more than twice the price AND need an amp to work properly...

If I don't like them I'll sell them and buy something else, but they seem as good a place to start as any, given the price & spec etc.

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't worry yourself the 595's have some lovely sound. And have a reasonably balanced response. Wether you like them or not is opinion, but they definately aren't triports...

I'm quite looking forward to hearing them - I'm likely to order today actually. BTW, does the lead completely detach at the cans? I'm trying to figure out whether I need an Male-Famale extension lead, or whether to just buy a long (~5m) male-male lead...

Thanks,

EW

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite looking forward to hearing them - I'm likely to order today actually. BTW, does the lead completely detach at the cans? I'm trying to figure out whether I need an Male-Famale extension lead, or whether to just buy a long (~5m) male-male lead...

Thanks,

EW

It totally detaches at the can, but it's not a 3.5mm jack, it's Sennheisers own connector. You're better off just buying a female - male extension, although there are those here who would argue this would be a detrement to sound quality.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It totally detaches at the can, but it's not a 3.5mm jack, it's Sennheisers own connector.

How peevish of them!!

Quote:

You're better off just buying a female - male extension, although there are those here who would argue this would be a detrement to sound quality.

I agree, that's the way forward. It shouldn't be too detrimental provided the extension is fully shielded....

Thanks for the info!

EW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back