Newbie help please! Audiphile 'phones for PC...
Jan 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Earwicker

Head-Fier
Hi Guys - Audiophool here, in need of advice because I don't know a great lot about headphones!!

I now use a Creative X-Fi Music soundcard as my primary source into an audiophile hi-fi system (sounds great with Foobar/ASIO as I'm sure you all know...) and I'm looking for some decent headphones to go direct from the PC; I don't envisage buying a headphone amp at this stage. My music collection is FLACed.

I've got some koss ksc75s and Sennheiser hd 280s and wish to improve - budget I'm thinking £75 - £150, but I'll stretch to £200 for something really special. The koss are a bit compressed, the Sennheisers are a bit dull and midrangey; I'd like a bit more sparkle and detail.

Not TOO bothered about external noise attenuation but some would be nice - that IS something I like about the Sennheisers.

Listen to classical music, not bothered about seismic bass, but I'm keen on detail, atmosphere and tonal accuracy.

The X-Fi drives the hd280s no problem louder than I'd want to go; I don't think it likes to go below 32 Ohms though...

Thanks!!

EW

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 38
Grado SR 325i, AKG K701, Denon D2000 and Ultrasone pro750 ect.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the hd280 are real nasty in SQ. They are the only ones there i've tried and i'd stay away from them, they got good isolation but they really arent that nice

Yeah, I quite agree. I inherited them, I didn't choose them! The entry level Grados look nice, it's really a question of what will work best without an amp. The sound card seems to have pretty good drive capability, but obviously I don't want to go berserk!

Is there anything mid-market worth a look by Sennheiser? They're readily available at the right kind of price, the hd280s are clearly not the pick of the bunch... I could do with whittling it down to say five - from circa £70 up to £150 and see where that leaves me, I can't make much sense of the options at the moment. I think the main thing is to find something that's an easy load with good resolution and tonal accuracy - if they won't blow my head off or produce subterranean bass then not to worry...

Thanks guys!

EW

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 38
Pretty much all Grados work well without an amp. The HD555 and HD595 from Sennheiser are both quite nice.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try HD485's i've had mine since November and they sound great no matter what I listen to on em[they shine best w/accoustic music]

They're cheap enough - anyone else have any experience of them? (Or comparable Sennheisers?) As I say, the attraction is they're plentiful thus cheap via Fleabay etc.

Chrispy - EVERYTHING is overpriced in the UK, that's how you know you've arrived! :wink:

carlineng - Thanks for that. I'd got it into my head that Grados really needed an amp...

I suspect the X-Fi will drive most phones to high levels, they seem to have been designed with can users in mind - are Creative's phones any good?

EW

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 38
for classical, u should probably go for the AT ad900 with your budget. my budget could only afford the ad700's which r not as good obviously. don't need an amp, great for classical, soundstage, detail, separation. Brighter and more sparkle than Seinnheisers.

i'm actually listening to some classical right now on my new ad700s, and as the reviews have said they are great for classical. i'm told the ad900's does everything the ad700s do but better =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back