Newbie help please! Audiphile 'phones for PC...
Feb 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 38
Just quickly reading around, I'm getting the impression Grados and Audio Technicas are easier to drive than Sennheisers - sound about right?

THe AT ad900 look nice - are the lower models worth considering too or does the range not snap into focus until you spend the ad900 money? The 700s any good?

Thanks chaps!

EW

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 38
The AT AD900 is a pretty good phone for classical. However, I would also consider the Sennheiser HD595s because they have the great Sennheiser soundstage while carrying a different sound signature from the rest of the mid-high end Senn gear: 580/600/650. They will be easily driven by the X-Fi card and are great for classical music. A big plus is the comfort of the 595s, which I find to be extremely important, especially when listening to classical where each piece can easily be 30-60 minutes.

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 38
Thanks Guarneri - words of wisdom indeed! As I say, Sennheisers seem to be relatively easy to come by (read "get a good deal on") hence the attraction! I would guess the X-Fi would drive them OK, it seems to have a fair amount of poke, and I'm not a headbanger anyway. I guess it'll come down to best value at the end of the day...

THe hd280s don't sound bad but one can do better... they are well made and comfy, and exclude a very useful amount of noise - in fact, I'm off to listen to them! Bit of Mullova/Bach then perhaps Parsifal later...

Thanks,

EW

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 38
... the 595s look nice Guarneri, but I've just been looking on Sennheiser's web site and the impedance is given as 120 ohms - are you reasonably sure that won't offend the X-Fi? I've just noticed you've got one...!

EW

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Guarneri - words of wisdom indeed! As I say, Sennheisers seem to be relatively easy to come by (read "get a good deal on") hence the attraction! I would guess the X-Fi would drive them OK, it seems to have a fair amount of poke, and I'm not a headbanger anyway. I guess it'll come down to best value at the end of the day...

THe hd280s don't sound bad but one can do better... they are well made and comfy, and exclude a very useful amount of noise - in fact, I'm off to listen to them! Bit of Mullova/Bach then perhaps Parsifal later...

Thanks,

EW

Note that if you do go Sennheiser, it's probably best to get the 595's as they are a lot easier to drive than most other Sennheisers.

Links:
Amazon.co.uk: Sennheiser HD595 Open Headphone 150 ohms: Amazon.co.uk:: Sennheiser
£78.22 delivered - in stock.

Play.com (UK) : Sennheiser HD 595 Open Headphones : Electronics - Free Delivery
£84.99 delivered - Out of stock

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

... the 595s look nice Guarneri, but I've just been looking on Sennheiser's web site and the impedance is given as 120 ohms - are you reasonably sure that won't offend the X-Fi? I've just noticed you've got one...!

EW

Sennheisers website for me says 50 ohms - Sennheiser Worldwide: HD 595 - HD 595 (Click technical data on the right)

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 38
Have you considered Beyerdynamic DT880? It seems to fit in your price range and they, imho, are very detailed, clear (compared to HD595) and personally I love the airy soundstage. And, yes, the 250 ohm impedance does look scary, it's not really that bad, the Beyers seem to be pretty efficient, as my 3rd gen iPod nano drove them pretty acceptably. But, of course, the Cantate is a whole different story.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #24 of 38
X-Fi drives the 595s perfectly fine. I've heard a lot of good things about the DT880s for classical music but have never actually heard one. In my opinion, the DT880s compares more with HD600s (sounds ok without amp, but really needs an amp to be good), while the 595 is much more forgiving in pretty much every way (source, recordings, amp).

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

EW

The original 595's were 120 ohm impedence headphones. But, they were revised and any 595 made in the past two or so years have a 50 ohm impedence. I have a pair of the original 120 ohm 595's and if you call Sennheiser you cant even buy a set of 120 ohm replacement drivers; they dont have any.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #27 of 38
555s and 595s both have 120 ohm and 50 ohm versions, u might wanna get the 50 ohm version if u decide on it. i've heard some very good things about the ad700s compared to the 555s and even the 595s. ad900s has superior bass compared to the ad700s i'm told. i haven't gotten a chance to listen to 595s much (only took a brief listen once). probably within the next two weeks i might borrow the 595s from my friend next door after i burn in my new ad700s so i can compare =) i'm guessing there r some more experienced headfi'ers here who have owned both themselves tho

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #28 of 38
Right, I've pretty much decided on the 595s. I'm just in the process of selling my audiophile pre-amplifier, then I shall go ahead and order a set - hopefully in the coming week.

So thanks to everyone who helped me, I'll report back when I've taken delivery and had a listen!!

All the best,

EW

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #30 of 38
You really would want an amp if you are planning on spending decent money on headphones. With so many USB DAC amps out now, why not consider one or just a cheaper amp? Then you might have enough left over to consider some better cans.

Beyer DT880, and the AKG 701 both are good cans that have alot of sparkle and definition but need an amp to shine.

If you really don't want an amp, then consider the Grados or the AD900 (Haven't heard it though). Both are low impedence.

You already know the general senn sound, so if you don't like it, don't get another senn. The ksc75 is somewhat reminiscent of grado cans with a more prominent midrange and smaller soundstage.

The sennheisers really don't have the sparkle you're looking for unfortunately. A 595 straight out of a computer is somewhat disappointing I think. Again, an amp beefs up the bass and pulls details together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back