Newbie Help Needed!!! Anyone know of any good Deals?
Feb 20, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #16 of 32
$1,000 ???
eek.gif
Hah wow, is that even possible? I may end up spending some cash later on. So how much of a difference in quality do you hear after $1,000 of equipment? I see myself getting nice headphones and an amp later one, hopefully it won't cost me $1000
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 32
The sound quality is a huge improvement. You can easily get to $1000 and more by adding:

Headphones (more than one)
Amp (more than one)
Interconnect wires
Source (for home and portable)
etc...

Most of this second hand!

And I consider myself fairly novice at this stage. Given that, there's a great sound available for every budget, music, and listening habit. Just becareful of upgradeitis!

If you are stretching your budget(
evil_smiley.gif
), there's been some good closed headphones on sale lately in the $50-60 range in the Gear of Sale forum. Often the price includes shipping, so it may be close to your original budget. Keep an eye on that for things can go quicly (Some beyerdynamic 880s went it about 8 minutes).

Feb 20, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #19 of 32
C4 Suke, you might want to check out the RadioShack Pro-35, which are clones of the Koss KTX-Pro. They are much better than the CD180's and they are on sale for $14.99. They are item number 33-1122. I used these things for around 8 or 9 months before getting my Sony MDR-V6's. They are open, just like the PortaPro's and KSC-35's.

Feb 20, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by C4 Suke
Does anyone know how much the Koss site charges for shipping these things?

The Portapros using the coupon and with shipping cost $31, so that'd be $6 for shipping.

Feb 20, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 32
Suke, I understand the Sony MDR V6 is a highly recommended closed headphone. I found this one currently for auction on ebay for 31.00, but don't be surprised to see it skyrocket in the last few minutes......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...008803527&rd=1

Feb 20, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #23 of 32
there is a pair of used v6's in the For Sale forum, definitely look into those. they are $50 shipped if theyre still available

look HERE

Feb 20, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

$1,000 ??? Hah wow, is that even possible? I may end up spending some cash later on. So how much of a difference in quality do you hear after $1,000 of equipment? I see myself getting nice headphones and an amp later one, hopefully it won't cost me $1000

Youd be surprised. I have approximately $1500 in my setup. And i consider my setup generally a budget audiophile setup. There are guys like Hirsch and Nik who have thousands and thousands of dollars just in amps alone (i think Nik's angstrom custom amp was 15 grand)... The cool thing about headphone systems is they dont need the power speaker systems do.. Which causes a major drop in price. Good speakers as clear as HD600's drivers you would need to spend roughly $4000 grand a pop. Good amp with the clarity of an rkv($1000) or the zotl ($800) to power those 8 grand speakers would run appx $5000. These are totally off the top of my head figures. Bang for buck, sonicly, headphones rule. But theres nothing like the feel (literally) of great speakers.

Feb 20, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by C4 Suke
$1,000 ???
eek.gif
Hah wow, is that even possible? I may end up spending some cash later on. So how much of a difference in quality do you hear after $1,000 of equipment? I see myself getting nice headphones and an amp later one, hopefully it won't cost me $1000
biggrin.gif

Oh, yea, it's possible. Since I've been here in the last couple of months, I've bought 4 sets of headphones, a headphone amplifier, a new CD/SACD player, and a few interconnects. My total cost? Probably around $1500 I'd say. I must say that I agree with Nefarion that it's a great bang for the buck. $1500 is a bit of money, but nothing compared to the good stuff for home theater. Plus, I live in an apartment where jamming out is a no-no, so this gives me a way to get my rush without being arrested for "disturbing the peace". If you stay around this place, you will definitely spend more than $30.

Feb 20, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #28 of 32
i feel for ya man... i know what its like getting started.

tell you what, ill build you a Cmoy amp, but you gotta promise to put it in something realy cool for a case.

=)

yes free, and yes, I *am* serious....

send me a PM

Feb 20, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #29 of 32
Cruelty knows no bounds.

If you can stretch your budget a bit for some V6's I think they'd work great for you. They're sort of the entry point for good sealed headphones. If not, the Portapros will be fine...for the time being (i.e. until this forum forces you to upgrade!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 20, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 32
if you are considering shelling out 20-30 for an amp, just apply that money to a pair of used sony mdr-v6 (NOT the mdr-v600). you will be pleasantly surprised at the leap in sound quality, and they are fully closed and still portable. check bkelly's mdr-v6 for sale in the for sale forum, aformentioned by nanhachi. $50 shipped is a terrific deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back