Newbie..Help breaking first real pair of phones!
Jul 3, 2003 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jb4555

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Ive been lurking around for a while, reading all the different threads I could, trying to get a better understanding of headphones.

Well I finally made the plunge and bought a pair of Grado Rs80s and Senn Mx500s.

Just got them today in the mail, and compared to my crappy sony street style's, the difference of the Rs80's is crazy.

However, I'm wondering about breaking them in. Does the quality of the source matter? Should I run it from my portable cd player or reciever? Or should I wait till I get an amp to break them in? What about the quality of the music, ie mp3 vs. cd?
Will it make a difference or am I just worrying to much?

Also, this may sound stupid, but do the Senn Mx500s need to be broken in?

Thanks for your help

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 10
It's SR80, not Rs80. You better watch out for those Grado fanboys, they'll hang you for that!

Quote:

Originally posted by jb4555
However, I'm wondering about breaking them in. Does the quality of the source matter? Should I run it from my portable cd player or reciever? Or should I wait till I get an amp to break them in?

It doesn't matter. The best thing is that you can break them in while you listen. When you go to sleep, though, leave them on overnight.

Quote:

What about the quality of the music, ie mp3 vs. cd?
Will it make a difference or am I just worrying to much?

It's all up to your ears.

Quote:

Most headphones' quality improve with breaking in, I assume these do too.

Welcome to Team Grado!

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Newbie..Help breaking first real pair of phones!

Drive to Wilmer, Texas and BASH THEM against MERTON's skull. It's so thick they should break in an instant.

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 10
None of what you mentions really matters. Try and pick some music that has a wide variety and turn it up just a little louder than you would listen and let them burn in. I use a receiver tuned to a FM Classical station. There also is no harm in listening to your music during the process. I normally let them go for 24 hours at a minimum.

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Drive to Wilmer, Texas and BASH THEM against MERTON's skull. It's so thick they should break in an instant.

make sure to swing them around like a mace and let out screaching war cries... only way to let them phones know who's boss

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 10
for merton:

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Yes, at least 100 hours till they sound good. It's truly magical.
-Mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back