Newbie dunb ass questions what to get on a budget of $100
Jul 31, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
That shows you my lack of understanding. I thought that certain phones dealt better than others with differing file formats…I guess I was being a bit of a spaz.

Ok that could well be good advice that I need to bare in mind….is there something crap about headphones that mention surround sound, I mean does that compatibility make them crapper in other ways or for playing music generally?

What is a better set of headphones out of the Alessandro MS-1 and The K81DJ or (given I maybe being too simplistic) at least what are the pros and cons in terms of a comparison?

What about the beyerdynamic dt770 that feh1325 mentioned how would they compare to the previously mentioned phones?

If this was your cash guys and you were going to be using them in the way I said where would you plant the cash?

The surround sound in and of itself does not make headphones crappy. It's just that surround headphones are generally not designed for music listening; they're designed for movies, which usually means bloated bass and sometimes harsh highs. It also just kind of sounds funny with music.

As to your original question, I would much prefer the K81DJ to the DT770. The K81DJ has a lot of bass for a headphone to begin with, and it's cleaner, tighter, and more controlled. The mids and highs are also better to my ears. The DT770 is just a bass monster if you ask me. However, the one problem is that the K81DJ's cord is just not very robust; it's designed more as a portable phone, even though it is great as a home closed phone in terms of sound quality and isolation. If you do decide to go with it anyway, you mentioned 15 ft or more distance, so I would get a Grado headphone extension cable. Their cables are affordable, very long and very robust. You could also consider simply getting a Grado headphone for their more robust cables. (Either way, though, get the Grado extension.) However, they won't give you the same bass response as the K81DJ, and they can be a bit more fatiguing for long listening sessions with certain, harsher forms of rock (unless of course, you amp them well, which you really don't intend/can't afford to do).

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 42
I have the MS1 and the K81DJ

I have had the MS1 for around a year, and the K81DJ for about a week so take that into consideration with my opinion.

Keep in mind these are all my opinions and other people may and probably will disagree.

The MS1 sounds better
The MS1 is lighter
The MS1 is more comfortable (with the bowl pads)

The K81DJ is more rugged/durable
The K81DJ is more compact (foldable and comes with travel case)
The K81DJ Isolate better (the MS1 has no Isolation)
Someone mentioned the cord design, I think they both suck, the Grado V-part and the twisting and crimping blows and the K81 doesnt seem very sturdy and is a little long for my uses.

I find neiher one uncomfortable
Both sound good (I just prefer/am used to MS1)
They both have their place and are a bargain

For my needs, if I had to make a choice between the 2 I would choose the K81DJ for the simple fact that I can listen to them more. The Isolation and ruggedness I can take them anywhere and listen to them anywhere, and this outweighs the better sound and comfort.

I love both but wouldn't leave my yard with the MS1s for fear of breaking them and annoying people with the sound leaking from them.

PLUS the K81DJs cost $55 shipped for me and the MS1s cost me $99 shipped.

Good luck.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdemon

PLUS the K81DJs cost $55 shipped for me and the MS1s cost me $99 shipped.

Good luck.

The seller seemed to have booted up the price. To $69 unless you sent in the best offer thing?

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #22 of 42
I'm also in a similar situation and have a question for those recommending the MS1's. I could go to the dirt cheap Grado site and get the SR60's for about $57 shipped. Are the MS1's a significant enough upgrade to justify the extra price? Are the SR80's a nice compromise?

....So many options, so many dollars to spend in an addictive cycle.

Sorry if this is a little bit of a thread hijack, I apologize.

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #24 of 42
I see the MS-1s from Alessandro are $99 but does anyone know what their final price is when shipped to the UK?

I know I could go throught the mess of buying and then sodding it off at the last to find the shipping added on but can anyone save me the hassle of doing that?

Still considering my options and the 181s ...

Jul 31, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 42
http://tinyurl.com/kttal

£80 for HD595s? Thats madness. I got my ones from him, I know a few others have. Be quick they don't last long at that price.

Whoops, over your budget, but its a steal.

Jul 31, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #28 of 42
I'd say thats an affirmative.

People are recommending 555s, the 595s are superior versions of those.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
I see the MS-1s from Alessandro are $99 but does anyone know what their final price is when shipped to the UK?

I know I could go throught the mess of buying and then sodding it off at the last to find the shipping added on but can anyone save me the hassle of doing that?

Still considering my options and the 181s ...

I THINK that price includes worldwide shipping, but dont quote me on it.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #30 of 42
I would not say the HD595 is better than the MS1, simply different; it's a different sound signature. The HD595 is going to be more veiled, less exciting, but have a bigger soundstage and be more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back