Newbie dunb ass questions what to get on a budget of $100
Jul 31, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I would not say the HD595 is better than the MS1, simply different; it's a different sound signature. The HD595 is going to be more veiled, less exciting, but have a bigger soundstage and be more comfortable.

You could say that about the MS-1 compared to the HD650 too. In this thread Chris has been recommended 555s, which has the exact same difference in sound as any other different cans. But it is a fact 595s are better than the 555s.

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
You could say that about the MS-1 compared to the HD650 too. In this thread Chris has been recommended 555s, which has the exact same difference in sound as any other different cans. But it is a fact 595s are better than the 555s.

In my opinion, the 595's are better than the 555's, but in the end I ended up getting the 555's because of the price difference. $70 just didn't warrant the extra, what, 10-15% that the 595's gave me? I'm stuck at the mid-fi level for now due to expenses. I would suggest that chrisco stay within that realm if he's just starting out too. He might not be able to tell the difference between the 555's and the 595's anyway. Give him a year or two, and if he wants more, then he should go for it, but if he's satisfied, hey, he saved $70.

By the way, I have the MS1's and recommend them as well. But the HD555's are better for gaming, that's for sure.

Amazon is selling the HD555 for $105 shipped. If I had to pick, I'd go with the MS1.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
Why not get the Grado SR60? These offer incredible sound and retail for $69 USD. They also have a nice long solid cord for you abuse. Personally, I love these headphones and have been using them at work for the past 4 months.

I agree, maybe the SR-60, MS-1, Sony V6, or KS-75 for the "onthego" phones..
these are sure fire wins at that budget and sell well in the event of a resale or upgrade..

Welcome to headfi, sorry about your bank account..
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #36 of 42
The responses to this thread have been truly fantastic and have given me a lot to consider, so thanks a lot for your time guys.

At present I am thinking the MS-1 would be the best for me to go for if it wasn't for them being a bit delicate.

I am also seriously considering the 595's though I haven't heard enough about them yet and am also thinking about the K181DJ. From what I can gather they are both a bit more rugged than the MS-1s.

So a few more last nobby questions form me...

I have a small head, so from an adjustable/comfort point of view what would be better?

Also I like the idea of closed phones, so again what would be better?

I would use the phones via an amp, but also via a PC and not the best soundcard in the world....would thant influence what to get in any way?

Once agian guys thanks for your time and efforts in helping me out, it is appeciated.

Aug 1, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
Also I like the idea of closed phones, so again what would be better?

Why is that?

Do you need closed headphones for their isolation or do you just think they'll sound better than open cans?

Aug 1, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #39 of 42
I guess it is just the thought of not hearing anything other than the music, also wouldn't closed cans be more comfortable with prolonged listening......I freely admit that I could be holding the thick end of the stick
redface.gif

I guess I am just trying to finalise my choice and get it as right as I can before making a purchase given my limited knowledge in selecting the right cans...
redface.gif

You have heard my spastic comments in term of what I am looking for and my thoughts as well as that of the good people advising me.....what do you think is the bottom line is given my last few nobby questions?

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
I guess it is just the thought of not hearing anything other than the music, also wouldn't closed cans be more comfortable with prolonged listening......I freely admit that I could be holding the thick end of the stick
redface.gif

You are holding the thick end of the stick with your second thought. A major
disadvantage with closed cans is they tend to get very warm over long periods, nowhere for any heat to go.
Sweaty ears aren't a rare occurance with closed cans.

I'm not getting into the whole 'Closed V Open' debate, but I think the majority of headphones being open tells its own story.

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #41 of 42
Chri5speed Thanks mate I am fast closing in on the pair I am after.

The only issues I have now are my small head, is that going to be a problem with adjustability of any of the headphones we are talking about and.......robustness.

Looking at photos of the Grados and the MS-1s I worry about them....they just look so fragile.

Am I right to be concerned?

Depending on which way these questions go I choose what I am going for.

At the moment the running order is;

1st 595s,
2nd K181DJ
3rd Ms-1s (they seem the best in terms of quality but?)

Like I say I am buying after this one way or the other.

Thanks for explaining the closed v open situation.

If anyone thinks I am going wrong shout at me and tell me why I am wrong.

Thanks again one and all for letting me ask away like a goof ball.

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #42 of 42
Alessandros are supposedly better made Grados?

I have heard it said that no two pairs of Grados were made equally. I think its fair to say they are fragile or at least not especially robust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back