newbie, consoles and a receiver
Apr 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

utkusu

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am recently getting into audio thing and I have a probably silly question. I had ps2, xbox 360 and old xbox (used as xbmc) in my living room with a cheap set of edifier speakers. Because the speakers accept only one input and my TV does not any audio out, I keep switching cables to watch/play things on different consoles. Recently I found an old Denon Reciever (DRA-345) for cheap (I think I can get it for 50 CAD, let me know if you think it is not cheap)

My question is: Can I use this receiver as an hub to connect all the audio I have? It seems like I can plug the RCA cables to the receiver and there might be a way to connect 3.5mm output to this thing. Will it work? Or would I blew up my 41(8x2+25) watt computer speakers? Or nothing will happen? I have no idea! Can you guys give me an hand?

cheers,

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 8
So these are powered(active) computer speakers with a 3.5 mm input for the audio?

If you connect your consoles to the receiver with RCA into whatever inputs you want to(CD,DVD,VCR,etc)...it doesn't matter,then you could output the audio(line level) into the computer speakers using a loop out connection on the receiver. You would need an RCA to female(or use a coupler) 3.5mm cable. I've never done this but it should work.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply. I think my computer speakers are active simply because they are plugged into a power outlet.

I already have a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor. The ad says the unit has "Outputs: 1 RCA cinch". I don't know what the "cinch" is but RCA is very familiar.

Can you help me out a bit more? What is a loop out connection? Is it bypassing the amplifier in the receiver? Do all the receivers allow this? Is this thing can be used only with passive speakers?

please help me out...

cheers,

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Apr 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 8
You have 3 audio inputs via RCA (CD,TAPE[PB] & VIDEO).The TAPE[REC] should provide the loop out function. Try it, it should work and if it doesn't, nothing will explode anyway.

Don't use the PHONO as one of the inputs, this is only for a turntable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back