Newbie Bought GRADO SR80's
Dec 26, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

rabyburns

New Head-Fier
hiya, reading the forum for a while has made me go out and purchase a pair of Grado SR80's, i'm listening to them just now but still trying to figure out what i paid for, haha.

ALthough the sound does sound good, but can i ask does anyone use these without a seperate amp on their ipod cause thats what their for and i don't want a seperate amp

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 40
Congratulations on your purchase!

You can certainly drive the Grados properly through your iPod, but it should improve with an amp. I think that's the closest to "don't need an amp" you're going to get.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 40
Straight out of the ipod and using poorly encoded music will make any headphone sound average. If you have access to a reference-quality DAC/AMP and lossless music, it could give you an idea of what you're missing. (if anything)

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 40
They don't need an amp. And adding one won't blow you away. A half decent source is a must, but they do sound good from iPods. But if your music is too highly compressed, even a $1K headphone will suck.

Personally, I don't believe lossless is necessary, 244/320kbps is a good size/quality ratio for portables.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 40
Honestly, if you don't "get" what you paid for, nobody here can help you realize what you're supposed to hear. I would suggest selling or returning them and using whatever you had before, because otherwise you're just wasting your money on something you can't realize. I've met many people like yourself, and while it's uncommon, there are some people who are just incapable of hearing differences in sound, and it's normal.

And don't worry about amping or anything like that. Grados are highly efficient and sound good out of anything.

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabyburns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't actually use itunes I use Spotify as i'm a premium subscriber but i am thinking about encoding some CD's again as apple lossless

I would be a bit weary of formats like Apple Lossless...simply because you tend to become "locked-in" with brand-specific formats like that. If you're not using an iPod, I would encode the CDs in FLAC, using EAC:

Introduction » Exact Audio Copy

Also, while I have no idea how Spotify compresses their music, it's more than likely of significantly lower quality than CDs.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 40
You don't need an amp to get very nice sound out of an SR-80. Will an amp make it sound better? Yes, by a mile. It's not that you need an amp to get great sound. It's that you don't really know what you have until you fire up a solid, no-joke amp. I drove my Grados through several amps before finding total bliss with an M^3 with STEPS (my $500 investment). My first Grado was the SR-80, followed by the 325i, followed by the RS-1, the GS1k, a couple of iGrados and a couple of SR-60s. They all sound terrific without an amp, particularly since Grados have low impedence (32 ohms as compared to something like 300 or 600), but I'd had no idea how much better they could sound with a decent amp.

The M^3 is not a tube amp. It's not the creme de la creme of solid states, either. But it is a very nice amp for the money, not a chew toy like some of the cheapos you'll see out there. When I ran my Grados through that amp - including the "lowly" SR-60, I couldn't believe how much more they had in reserve. Wow! Amps matter!

Now, most of the time, I don't use any amp at all. I'm on the move and I'm not married to any of the portables. If I want a portable, I'll figure out how to wire up an M^3 with three 9Vs. Short of that, I just go straight off the iPod - and without an LOD (Forgive me father, for I have sinned). Some of my tracks are lossless. Some are 256k. Some are (heaven help me) 128k. I still have a great time with my iPod and it's unamped.

But when I'm home (or at the office) and am stationery/stationary (God, I'm being tortured by the English language), I amp up. It does sound better. I'd be lying if I said different. But the great thing about Grados is that you don't have to amp up. You can listen to these on the move and they still sound great. The only setting I wouldn't wear them (including funerals, mass, an orgy or a fistfight) would be while riding in a noisy, rumbly, conveyance. I took my open-air phones with me on a family trip and felt that the rumble killed my listening experience. I wouldn't take them on a plane. Where I need isolation, I would pop in some IEMs. Otherwise, you've got a great pair of cans - not the best Grado makes but still a great pair. There are ways to tweak them, but right out of the box, they should give you hours of listening pleasure.

If they're too bright for you (and that's something that divides Grado lovers from lovers of darker phones), that's when you should resell and try something different. I'd give myself a little time to adjust to the presentation. If it doesn't make a convert out of you within a week or so, it probably never will.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get bowls for them

This is not going to make any difference if he can't hear a difference between these an iBuds

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you mean you cant hear a difference between the ibuds and sr80s?

Most people will tell a difference straight away, personally I think someone would need to be tone deaf not to. However, with the Grado hyperbole that's thrown around on here, perceptions and expectations can get massively and unrealistically raised pre purchase.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 40
Trade them for Senn 595's. There are grado people and there are non-grado people, it sounds like you may just be a non-grado person. I love grados but I can't listen to SR60s' or SR80's for more than 5 minutes without my ears hurting. When I first got mine I really wanted to like them! But in the end they just hurt my ears with their brightness. Send them back and get some Senns...595's~! ("Bright" Sennheisers in a class by themselves)

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, if you don't "get" what you paid for, nobody here can help you realize what you're supposed to hear. I would suggest selling or returning them and using whatever you had before, because otherwise you're just wasting your money on something you can't realize. I've met many people like yourself, and while it's uncommon, there are some people who are just incapable of hearing differences in sound, and it's normal.

And don't worry about amping or anything like that. Grados are highly efficient and sound good out of anything.

ROTFLMAO! While you have him down, why don't you kick him in the head a couple of times?

Seriously, you have a ton of experience and knowledge! Why don't you try and help him to appreciate what you know is an awesome, entry-level set of cans?
confused_face(1).gif
Six months from now he could be Team Grado material, but as it stands, he's probably sticking pins in a doll with your user name on it.

Did Santa break all of your toys or what?

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 40
I disagree with the idea that Grados don't need amping. I think that's based on a common misperception, one that leads people to dismiss Grados as being overly bright. I've lost count of how many times non-Grado people have criticized the Grados as being too aggressive, even harsh, to the point that they could not listen to them for more than a few minutes. That's because these people are used to cans that were darker, cans that valued the bass and had rolled-off highs allowing them to crank the cans up. Cranked up, their darker cans had lots of bass and just the right amount of treble.

Now, they're getting the treble but not as much of the bass. When they crank up the Grados to get more bass, they're getting too much treble and they're wandering through the desert, clutching their ears and yelping as they go.

That's because the Grados need amping to restore the bass that was lost because of the open-air design. Quite a number of dynamics want that transparency that comes out of the classic Stax designs. The open-backed headphones provide that transparency by eliminating the excessive resonance and standing waves produced in so many closed-back headphones. But since LF waves are omnidirectional, most of the bass is leaking, which leaves the listener feeling that the headphones are unnecessarily "bright."

Without a solid amp, you don't know what you're missing. Yes, the headphones will work and yes, they still sound great, but if you want that wonderful, warm, hearty presence that the headphones are capable of producing, you need a decent amp. You don't need a thousand-dollar amp, but you should be prepared to spend at least a few hundred dollars on something a little higher in the food chain. A well-powered amp will not just give you volume (which you don't need with Grados). It will give your headphones the power to really let that bass come in.

Without a good amp, you're only getting half of the Grado experience.

Now, you may say this sucks, that Grado shouldn't make their headphones like this, but it's the price you pay for that wonderful, crystalline, sparkle. If you buy certain headphones, like the Senns, you may end up having to get the right amp or the right cable to bring out a fuller HF. With the Grados, it's just the opposite. You need a good amp so you can get a fuller LF. But make no mistake about it, with a decent amp you'll be blown away by how well the Grados give you the best of both worlds.

And when you have the proper balance of bass, you won't need to crank the music up and the treble won't hurt your ears.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 40
Respectfully disagree with only the point that amping can solve the problems of the SR60/80. But nice post, Billavideo.

And off topic, but since someone brought it up, I was away from headfi for a few years and when I came back there were so many more of these insulting knowier-than-thou posts and posters (Billavideo I am not referring to your post in any way, I'm talking about the 'Santa Broken Toys' appropriate reply to just one such post). Headfi did not used to be like this. There is so much more negativity and rude behavior floating around here these days. Isn't that way everyone left that other forum in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back