Newbie Beyer dt831 experience
Mar 13, 2002 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tone

100+ Head-Fier
Intent on finding an replacement for my sony mdr-v600 headphones i discovered the Beyer Dt770 via the headroom site and decided to give them shot. Well they were all bass so they had to go back, even though it was the best+tighest bass i've ever heard from a headphone ever.

so for kicks and i decided to give the dt831s a shot. ugggghhh, was my first reaction since the bass distorted as soon as i turned the volume up. they were plenty loud but it had way too much distortion+shrilly treble. then i figured since i haven't heard anybody else having the same trouble i figured that it must be the reciever i'm plugging into (harmon kardon avr210). Initially I thought it would be okay to plug into my reciever with the 250 ohm cans but apparently not with my stupid reciever!

Well i broke down and bought a MG Head OTL tube headphone amp. With the dt831s i got my bass back and the distortion is gone. I love the incredible detail that the dt831 gives the music now. my only complaint is that the bass sometimes gets lost with quick moving bassy (ie star wars soundtrack) classical pieces but only at extreme volumes. i'm not sure if it is the dt831s fault or the amps fault. The grado 225 which i had briefly didn't have any problems with the quick bass thru the mg head but it is a much lower impedance headphone and are easier to drive. Unfortunately the grado 225s didn't sound to me as open or as musical as the dt831s. plus if all i wanted was bass i would have kept the dt770s which is much superior to the grado 225s in the bass dept.

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi tone, welcome to head-fi (sorry about your wallet)

Good to see that team Beyer is steadily growing
wink.gif

The 831s definately benefit from an amplifier, but so do the 770pros for that matter - the 770s also benefit greatly from a good burn-in leading to clearer midrange, tighter bass and slightly more forward high end.

If you miss that nice bass response offered by the 770pros, perhaps you should try a pair of the Philips HP890s, I personally find them to have a very similar sound to the 770pros while not maintaining QUITE the bass levels the 770 outputs (but very close). They won't break the bank either as they aren't as expensive as the Beyers, but they aren't as good in terms of build quality either.

Either way, the 831s are a very nice, very accurate headphone and worthy of much praise, enjoy!

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 6
welcome, tone. (also sorry about your wallet)

I have heard that the MG Head OTL can benefit a lot from replacing the tubes. That is a pretty cheap & effective way to get even better performance.

Glad to see you enjoying your headphones, and I hope we see a lot more of you and your opinions around.

Driftwood

Mar 13, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi tone, welcome to Headfi (sorry about your wallet).
biggrin.gif

The Beyer 831s are pretty sensitive to a jack's output impedance. The higher the impedance, the warmer they will sound, and the less bright the treble will be. Pairing them up with Headroom's amps with processor engaged (which cuts back the treble) incidentally also makes a great pairing with Beyer 831s.

Mar 13, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the words of sympathy for my wallet!

evil_smiley.gif
luckily i just returned the stuff i didn't like. it didn't really cost me anything for trying out the other gear, thank god for refunds! But i am keeping the dt831 and the mg head unless someone knows of a headphone that has the openess and detail of the dt831 with the tight bass of the dt770 (without the bass boost!).

Mar 14, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by tone
Thanks for the words of sympathy for my wallet!

Well, it's the new official Head-Fi greeting
wink.gif

So, hi tone, welcome to Headfi (sorry about your wallet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back