Newbie audiophile - Complimenting Grado RS1i + some technical questions.
Jun 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Raoul Pathak

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community,

I am completely new to the audiophile world, but made a big first step today by buying a set of second-hand Grado RS-1i headphones, which I have yet to receive. I have tried to read up on some material, articles explaining the theory of impedance, gain, found out what amps and DACs are, but the practical side I have little experience with. I have a couple of questions regarding the next component I might need, and out of curiosity I also have some technical questions.

Which amp to chose - As I understood it The RS-1i is supposed to 'make just about anything sound good', colours audio - making it a bit warmer, and separates individual instruments. I believe this is the sound I'd enjoy.

The Grado RA-1 amp is supposed to build and improve upon this 'feel', but is too expensive for now. Although Grados are considered low-impedance headphones, I've heard the RS-1i needs a proper amp - which one would fit my criteria? Most often I listen to soundtracks, instrumental and orchestral music. The band Elbow is also a good example. No metal or techno.

I have found these listed on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18V-CMOY-RA1-JRC4556-Headphone-Amplifier-Altoids-Ginger-Perfect-for-Grado-/170859702383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c808286f#ht_3538wt_1347 They use the same chip as the RA-1, (JRC4556) - is this the part most responsible for the 'sound' of the amp, or are there other more important factors which might make this one sound very different from the RA-1?

After headphones and amp, I believe a DAC is the most important component. What about buying a two-in-one? Specifically, the Audioengine D1 which isn't too expensive in my country. Will it give me a very different sound from the other's I have mentioned?

I also can't understand exactly why amps are important, the difference between affecting gain and volume, and why a couple of batteries are able to power and 'amplify' for a whole 50 hours - why can't that same power come from the sound source at high volume? Will I really need an amp to begin with?

Finally, I would like to ask about gaming with the RS-1i. I know they have a small soundstage, but I would like to know how to best achieve 'surround sound'. Does one use hardware or software? I am talking about PS3 and occasional laptop gaming, so I can't install soundcards.

All answers and component suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks for maintaining a fantastic community.
Raoul Pathak

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 2
The RS1i is a great headphone (I have the baby brother 2i).  Get the most out of it and get a good (although not necessarily expensive amp).  I can't help you with portables, but can tell you that the $169 hybrid HiFiMan EF2A desktop amp/dac (I only use the amp part) makes my 2i sing.  It also does a great job with the 325is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back