Newbie Advice
Sep 16, 2008 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sairafi

New Head-Fier
Helloo guys, im a newbie here and i just decided to get my self some good set of cans, so whats the best sounding headphones for <$400?

ill be using them for movies and music on my macbook pro UNAMPED.

Thanx.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 21
I was going say Sennheiser HD650 or Grado. but if you want a bit of portability and if you are going to use them unamped, you might want to go for the Grado's or the Alesandro MS-2's.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 21
The best-sounding headphones under $400 are all amped. Use some of that money for a source and amp.

If you'd rather not, there's little difference in quality above $250 in my opinion. May as well save yourself some cash, or do this thing right.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 21
Hello sairafi,

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

Your question is a very common one and there is no "right" answer. Personal preference will dictate which headphone is "best" for any individual listener. One thing I think that we will all agree on, however, is that no headphone is "perfect." All headphones have some flaw (some more than others) regardless of cost. My first suggestion would be to go to a Head-Fi meet in your area and try some different headphones. My next suggestion would be to search out high-end stereo shops or even guitar/music shops in your town as they may carry headphones you could try. Also, go and listen to as much live and unamplified music as you can. This is VERY important as it will teach you what live music is supposed to sound like. Once you have a good appreciation for that, judging headphone and speaker sounds will be much easier and what you purchase will be that much more rewarding over the long haul.

Good luck in the hunt. But trust me, it is neverending! My poor wallet!!!

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 21
Absolutely. That's what we're here to do.

First, though, some questions must be answered.

1) What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?

2) What quality do you rip files to your computer in?

3) Will you be taking this setup around with you, to coffee shops, library, etc or will it stay on your desk?

4) Do you need sealed headphones? i.e. do you need to hear what's happening around you / would those around you mind hearing what you're hearing?

Answer those, and we can give some good suggestions

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 21
1- i listen to a mixture of everything really but mostly trance and rock, i also watch a lot of movies, id prefer something bassey with a warm mellow sound and high level of detail. if you know what i mean.
2- Mostly MP3,s ~225kb/s
3- i wont be taking this setup around with me ill be using it at home on my laptop only
4- i dont mind open or closed headphones

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 21
though i prefer closed
tongue.gif
thanx

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 21
Oh hell, I might as well say it since someone else will eventually. But you should check out the ever popular Zero DAC/amp (there is a thread in the amp section that is over 200+ pages on it).

As for headphones, the Grado SR225s if you really want a rocking can, or the Denon D2000s if you want some versatility and a bigger low end. The amp/dac+headphones (whichever you choose) will run you around $350 new and cheaper if you buy on the FS/FT forums here.

But other alternative you should look into are Ultrasone Pro750s for a cross between the denon's bass and the grado's aggressive sound signature.

And it's a little too early to call but the Little Dot MKI+ may make a good choice for you to look into for amp solutions.

Also, you may want the iBasso D2 Boa or the newer D3 python for the added ability for portable use.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 21
I'd recommend buying off these forums, if at all possible. Hang around for a bit and you can find some real deals.

Also, the Zero is a great recommendation, as is the Denon D2000. You can get them both for under 400 USD if you look, and that setup is absolutely killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back