Newbie 2.0 system for ~$250... suggestions?
Dec 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

orangespider

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm trying to put together a decent sounding system for use in my home office. Ideally I want to be able to use the speakers with both my Macbook Pro, and my Audio Technica record player. I love my music and I'm a big time headphone listener, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to a lot of this equipment.

I was intrigued by that cnet review for the Dayton B652s with Lepai LP2020 amp (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/), but was wondering if you folks had suggestions for a similar style rig - at a slightly higher (~$250) budget. Or is it not worth jumping up in price?

Thanks,
Brent

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 6
Look into studio monitors used, you can get an aawesome set for price range. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to do some homework on studio monitors as well. Do you have any suggestions when it comes to brands or models? I listen to a variety of music, but I'm mainly concerned about my "rock" vinyl and MP3s. So I'm not overly concerned with trying to find something with "booming" bass (mainly why I focused my search to a 2.0 sound setup).

Thanks for your help!

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Found Audioengine A5s for 275 shipped. Is my money better spent on those active speakers instead of putting together a passive system like mentioned above? These will be used mainly for close range (at desk) listening...

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Found Audioengine A5s for 275 shipped. Is my money better spent on those active speakers instead of putting together a passive system like mentioned above? These will be used mainly for close range (at desk) listening...

A5 for $275 is a good deal. You can always offload them for what you paid for if not more easily. A5's are good stuff though.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 6
If you want passive these are actually very decent for the price.

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

There is a huge thread about these at AVS and people love them. Same guy that designed these also did the amazing TAD Reference One from Pioneer as well. Add a Lepai T-amp and you will be good to go. At that price range you could even add a sub or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back