Newb with iPod earbuds. Desperately need help.
Nov 4, 2005 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hahahahigh

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

As you guys can probably tell, I'm new to the forums. And as you guys will probably be able to tell, I'm completely new to the headphone world.

The only pair of headphones I own right now would be the Sennheiser PX100 (it was a Christmas gift from the techie of the family). They've served me quite adequately for a few years now, but as of late, I've found the sound to be too distant for my taste (and might be just my imagination, but I think the bass has slackened quite a bit). I'm looking for something that brings me the feeling of "you're there".

I have a budget of about $100 US. I'm really looking towards Grados so far, preferably the SR-80 (although I keep hearing that the SR-60 is better), since they're supposed to be really good for rock. But I'm also leaning towards the Alessandro MS-1... And I'm really confused right now.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me. I'm just looking for a reasonably-priced pair of headphones (not earphones), that has good sound (I have a soft spot towards treble. And good bass is always nice), and is open. I listen to rock (mostly soft rock), and some pop.

~Thanks in advance

Nov 4, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 18
The SR-60 or Alessandro MS1 both sound like perfect choice. Conventional wisdom seems to be to avoid the SR-80 if you don't have an amp. With an amp, it's probably better than the SR-60

Nov 4, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 18
I was in your situation last year, ipod with px100s. I loved them but found them difficult to hear in a noisy environment. The Grados are great. The SR60 is the classic set-up for your first pair of REAL 'phones. Great for the $. I have also heard great things about the MS1s and almost bought a pair, but went for the HF-1s instead. The sound is great for all grados w/o an amp, which could be an upgrade later on. Go for the most you can spend, so you don't immediately want to upgrade, which happens a lot 'round here. ER6is (or other IEMs) are also a great choice if you listen on the road or for exercise. It really depends where and when you will do most of your listening. Welcome.

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 18
If you're finding the PX100 bass deficient I'm not sure if the Grado's are a good swap. I don't know.
confused.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Ever considered IEM's? (ER-6i, E2c, super.fi pro3)
Ever considered AKG K26P? (These are like PX100's but sealed; only about $40 so I guess you're looking for a bigger upgrade)

Grado's/Alexandro's are of course, also great.

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 18
I assume IEMs are closed earbuds. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not a big fan of stuff you have to stick in your ears, but I might consider IEMs in the future (for long plane rides, and the like). For now, though, I'm only really looking for headphones. But for future references, what are the best kind, under $100?

Methinks I will order from the Alessandro website ASAP... Are you guys sure that the MS-1 is better than the SR-80?

Right now, I'm going through all my MP3 files and trying to convert them to 256KB (since I heard that Grado/Alessandros really reveal the flaws in an inadequate music file). Being the clueless person that I am, I'm still figuring out how to do that.
confused.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 18
I agree with W1ned Quote:

My vote says run. And never look back.

Although I have not spent as much as others around here, this place has taken its toll on my wallet.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!!

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 18
My preferences are like this:
MS1 if you want a flatter, less colored presentation.
SR80 if you want a more colored, less accurate presentation.

I prefer both the SR80 and MS1 over the 60. IMHO the added detail/clarity provided by the cable and bowl pads puts the SR80 a step ahead of the 60.

Garrett

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 18
I must also agree with w1ned and Rkawa.

I'm already pre-spending my paycheck and trying to find things to pawn for money to nab some HF-1s before they're all gone.

Money for food? I don't need to eat! Music is the food for my soul.
biggrin.gif

... my body is still hungry though. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back