Newb with iPod earbuds. Desperately need help.
Nov 6, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 18
You can't upgrade MP3s; if you've got 128Kb/s MP3s already, you can't convert them to 256Kb/s. Well, you _could_, but they'd just sound worse and be bigger. You can't get back sound the compression process has already thrown away. The only way to get better MP3s is to re-rip them from the original CDs.

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #17 of 18
Hmm. Here's my decision:

I do not like ordering online. Since the Alessandros can only be obtained via their website, I am kind of hesitant about buying them. The nearest dealer for Grados, though, is about a 45 minute drive away, so I suppose it evens out. I'll see if I can find a dealer that's a bit closer. If I can't, I'll go for the Alessandro MS-1. If I can, then we'll see about the SR-80.

Thanks all for help! Especially AdamWill, for telling me about the MP3 thing. I think I will go back through my CDs and rip them. Won't account for much of my music collection, but every track helps.
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 18
You might be able to talk to someone at Alessandro if you call them to order.

I also recommend the MS1. It is an excellent value at around US$100 and sounds much better than the Sennheiser PX100, PX200, and AKG K26p. I use mine with bowl pads which I prefer over the stock comfies.

The MS1 should sound decent unamped from a portable DAP or CDP. It is especially suitable for rock, soft rock, and pop.

If a local audio shop will allow you to demo the gear, a visit is highly recommended.

Welcome, and if your experience with the MS1 is like what I imagine it will be, you'll be in audio bliss. Then, when you come back here looking for an upgrade, take a look at the Grado HF-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back